Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the criteria of SAM implementation
How does Devialet really choose the speakers for SAM?

They write on their website that if a speaker has at least 100 votes, they'll develop the SAM profile. But, looking at the order of the list, there are speakers with only very few votes, which are already SAM ready.

And does it make sense to program SAM for a speaker, which costs only about € 800.-? If I had a 800.- speaker I wouldn't spend 5'000.- for an amp.

Are there other criteria from Devialet...?
Devialet 400 with Focal Maestro Utopia III
(27-Aug-2014, 10:00)vanber Wrote: How does Devialet really choose the speakers for SAM?

They write on their website that if a speaker has at least 100 votes, they'll develop the SAM profile. But, looking at the order of the list, there are speakers with only very few votes, which are already SAM ready.

And does it make sense to program SAM for a speaker, which costs only about € 800.-? If I had a 800.- speaker I wouldn't spend 5'000.- for an amp.

Hi Vanber and welcome to Devialet Chat! Smile

To find some answers to your questions you might want to browse through some of the other threads in the Speakers forum, in particular http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Vote-for-SAM-request and http://devialetchat.com/Thread-New-speakers-SAM-ready

Regarding your Focal Maestro Utopia III I would strongly recommend contacting Devialet directly about this. A number of us had discussions with Devialet prior to our speakers becoming SAM'd, I think it definitely helps.

I believe one of the criteria is as simple as Devialet having access to a particular speaker model. That would explain why many speakers were SAM'd even though they got very few votes. Dodgy

The other point worth bearing in mind is that SAM evidently has a greater impact on smaller/cheaper speakers. With my Wilson Sasha 2 whilst the difference with SAM on is noticeable it's not night and day and actually I often prefer it off (depending on the music). My previous speakers, the Sophia 3s, benefitted from SAM much more.

Make sure you take pics of your new speakers when they arrive! Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I have a pair of £200 speakers paired with my 120 -and they are 30 years old.

Don't think they will ever get SAM :-)

I suspect SAM speakers (at least initially) is based on availability & probably what is living in developers homes.

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
Hi all,
When I purshased my 250 I asked my dealer if there was any chance of taking my speakers to Paris to be SAMed, tongue in cheek and a twinkle in my eye. He subsequently spoke to his rep and I pick my speakers up tomorrow having delivered them on Monday. OK, travelling costs total about £300 but what I heard with sam on during the demo of the 250 I regard this as a very cheap upgrade. The other point is goodness knows when Devialet would have got round to my speakers as they are not that common. Devialet have said to me they are doing me a favour, they are indeed. Will let you know how they sound over the weekend.
Cheers,
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(17-Dec-2014, 11:18)wwm Wrote: Hi all,
When I purshased my 250 I asked my dealer if there was any chance of taking my speakers to Paris to be SAMed, tongue in cheek and a twinkle in my eye. He subsequently spoke to his rep and I pick my speakers up tomorrow having delivered them on Monday. OK, travelling costs total about £300 but what I heard with sam on during the demo of the 250 I regard this as a very cheap upgrade. The other point is goodness knows when Devialet would have got round to my speakers as they are not that common. Devialet have said to me they are doing me a favour, they are indeed. Will let you know how they sound over the weekend.
Cheers,
Bill.

Exciting times Bill Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(27-Aug-2014, 10:00)vanber Wrote: How does Devialet really choose the speakers for SAM?

Hi and welcome!

Well, my current loudspeakers Monitor Audio PL100 had like 3-5 votes and after I contacted Devialet, a few weeks later it was SAM:ed!!! Anyway both me, my dealer and wife can't hear any difference except some added bass. so in whole it was a disappointment. Be pushy in a kind way and I am pretty sure Dev will consider your speakers before other even if having few votes. I just told Dev that I realized with those few votes my speakers had would never see them SAM:ed.

Anyway I am changing speakers and have put in an order for Raidho X1, which had a welcome quality hike with SAM.

Good luck and don't give up/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(17-Dec-2014, 11:35)Mikeeo Wrote:

Hi and welcome!

Well, my current loudspeakers Monitor Audio PL100 had like 3-5 votes and after I contacted Devialet, a few weeks later it was SAM:ed!!! Anyway both me, my dealer and wife can't hear any difference except some added bass. so in whole it was a disappointment. Be pushy in a kind way and I am pretty sure Dev will consider your speakers before other even if having few votes. I just told Dev that I realized with those few votes my speakers had would never see them SAM:ed.

Anyway I am changing speakers and have put in an order for Raidho X1, which had a welcome quality hike with SAM.

Give it some time! I was finding pleasant supprises with SAM many months after first trying it. The realy good effects are perhaps more subtle that you might at first think!
(17-Dec-2014, 23:27)Confused Wrote:
(17-Dec-2014, 11:35)Mikeeo Wrote:

Hi and welcome!

Well, my current loudspeakers Monitor Audio PL100 had like 3-5 votes and after I contacted Devialet, a few weeks later it was SAM:ed!!! Anyway both me, my dealer and wife can't hear any difference except some added bass. so in whole it was a disappointment. Be pushy in a kind way and I am pretty sure Dev will consider your speakers before other even if having few votes. I just told Dev that I realized with those few votes my speakers had would never see them SAM:ed.l

Give it some time! I was finding pleasant supprises with SAM many months after first trying it. The realy good effects are perhaps more subtle that you might at first think!

When I demo'd the 250 a pair PMC speakers that had just been SAMed were used and when SAM was turned on for me it seemed to clean up and slightly boost the bass but more significantly brought the mid range more forward which I really liked. I hope I get a similar effect with my C60's.
Cheers,
Bill
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
I think my experience with SAM'd Blades is that there is an obvious imidediate improvement, but also a realy special change that you notice maybe one track in twenty. And I mean realy special. Also some negatives. I was listening to a very well recorded Kate Bush track recently, there was some almost sub bass artefacts I think produced as microphone "pufs". Without SAM they would be unnoticeable I think, flat bass to maybe 25 hz can have its negatives, you end up hearing thing that they wouldn't even be able to hear in the recording studio!
When I demo'd the 250 a pair PMC speakers that had just been SAMed were used and when SAM was turned on for me it seemed to clean up and slightly boost the bass but more significantly brought the mid range more forward which I really liked. I hope I get a similar effect with my C60's.
Cheers,
Bill
[/quote]

Bill, that about summons what I experienced with the Raidho X1.

/Mike

(18-Dec-2014, 00:29)Confused Wrote: I think my experience with SAM'd Blades is that there is an obvious imidediate improvement, but also a realy special change that you notice maybe one track in twenty. And I mean realy special. Also some negatives. I was listening to a very well recorded Kate Bush track recently, there was some almost sub bass artefacts I think produced as microphone "pufs". Without SAM they would be unnoticeable I think, flat bass to maybe 25 hz can have its negatives, you end up hearing thing that they wouldn't even be able to hear in the recording studio!

Confused,

That may explain why we experienced a very small or no effect on my current PL100's. Some speakers seem to be less sensitive to SAM if not Devialet made a mistake....
Still, Accordo had the biggest positive effect of all SAM:ed speakers I've heard.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK