Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the criteria of SAM implementation
If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the PL100s would benefit enormously with SAM. But based on my many hi fi auditions, what I hear is rearly what I thought I'd here, almost always surprised with expectations and understanding revised. In other words, what I say is almost meaningless! Enjoy and trust your own ears.

One thing rarely mentioned, full frequency range SAM is possible, and may one day be implemented. Here's hoping that with the Phantom launched it might actually be on its way!
(18-Dec-2014, 01:44)Confused Wrote: If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the PL100s would benefit enormously with SAM. But based on my many hi fi auditions, what I hear is rearly what I thought I'd here, almost always surprised with expectations and understanding revised. In other words, what I say is almost meaningless! Enjoy and trust your own ears.

One thing rarely mentioned, full frequency range SAM is possible, and may one day be implemented. Here's hoping that with the Phantom launched it might actually be on its way!

Confused, I agree as both me and my dealer were expecting the same as you however the effect was hardly there. I suspect something is wrong with the SAM PL100. Perhaps another glitch added to the other 1000's? Anyway I am moving to Raidhos in some weeks time.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Video 
Collected my C60's yesterday, Thursday, from the Paris showroom and what an interesting 10 minutes we had. The place was full of suits listening to the new Phantom and very impressive it sounded too. What I heard was a pair playing in stereo and the overall sound was very impressive, the bottom end was outstanding especially when you see the size of each unit coupled with excellent detail, John Lewis customers will love it!
Been listening to my SAMed speakers today and indeed what I have spent on two journeys to Paris has with out a doubt been worth it. Well done Devialet. I trust anyone who is running Act and Act1 will benefit if they have Tactic drivers. Any contributions gratefully recieved.
Cheers and a wink,
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(20-Dec-2014, 02:29)wwm Wrote: Collected my C60's yesterday, Thursday, from the Paris showroom and what an interesting 10 minutes we had. The place was full of suits listening to the new Phantom and very impressive it sounded too. What I heard was a pair playing in stereo and the overall sound was very impressive, the bottom end was outstanding especially when you see the size of each unit coupled with excellent detail, John Lewis customers will love it!
Been listening to my SAMed speakers today and indeed what I have spent on two journeys to Paris has with out a doubt been worth it. Well done Devialet. I trust anyone who is running Act and Act1 will benefit if they have Tactic drivers. Any contributions gratefully recieved.
Cheers and a wink,
Bill.

Hi Bill,

Great to hear that the C60s are benefiting from the SAM treatment - I did hear from Devialet that the ACT1s were up for "SAMing" during the first quarter of 2015! I did offer to loan them mine, but have heard nothing further - it may be that the work on yours may help with the process, although your C60s have a different driver configuration, with the added "super tweeter" and additional bracing, which may make some difference.

The bass of the ACT range, although not the deepest, is already well integrated into the overall sound structure, so your views and observations on what differences SAM has made would be very welcome.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(20-Dec-2014, 11:34)brit Wrote:
(20-Dec-2014, 02:29)wwm Wrote: Collected my C60's yesterday, Thursday, from the Paris showroom and what an interesting 10 minutes we had. The place was full of suits listening to the new Phantom and very impressive it sounded too. What I heard was a pair playing in stereo and the overall sound was very impressive, the bottom end was outstanding especially when you see the size of each unit coupled with excellent detail, John Lewis customers will love it!
Cheers and a wink,
Bill.

Hi Bill,

Great to hear that the C60s are benefiting from the SAM treatment - I did hear from Devialet that the ACT1s were up for "SAMing" during the first quarter of 2015! I did offer to loan them mine, but have heard nothing further - it may be that the work on yours may help with the process, although your C60s have a different driver configuration, with the added "super tweeter" and additional bracing, which may make some difference.

The bass of the ACT range, although not the deepest, is already well integrated into the overall sound structure, so your views and observations on what differences SAM has made would be very welcome.

David

Hi David,
Yes, I do agree the Act's do roll off a bit early, about 38hz or so but I think they were designed to integrate with the Torus which I really fancy. With regards to the SAM treatment the bass does go deeper and it is much cleaner and tighter, this helps the mid range quite appreciably. The real seal of approval came from swmbo who instantly said "oh, that sounds better all your driving has been worth it". With out a doubt a very worthwhile upgrade.
Cheers,
Bill
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(20-Dec-2014, 12:25)wwm Wrote:
(20-Dec-2014, 11:34)brit Wrote:
Cheers and a wink,
Bill.

Hi Bill,

David

Hi David,
Yes, I do agree the Act's do roll off a bit early, about 38hz or so but I think they were designed to integrate with the Torus which I really fancy. With regards to the SAM treatment the bass does go deeper and it is much cleaner and tighter, this helps the mid range quite appreciably. The real seal of approval came from swmbo who instantly said "oh, that sounds better all your driving has been worth it". With out a doubt a very worthwhile upgrade.
Cheers,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that insight - can't wait for the "SAMing" of the ACT1 after your findings. The fact that swmbo can hear the difference, and comment in such a +ve way, has got to be a big plus!

I also thought about the Torus, but it is a large piece of kit to lose in our Lounge and didn't have a high WAF, so hoping that the SAM effect will give that additional Bass boost currently missing from the ACT1s!

Thanks for leading the way on this one.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Well done Bill!.

According to Devialet the bass response of the ACT C60s has been improved from 56Hz to 20Hz which is quite a stunning difference. I wouldn't think that there would be any need for a Torus now Wink

The improvement in the before and after traces is impressive too (black - desired, orange - obtained):

Before
[Image: WILSON-BENESCH-ACT-C60-SansSam.png]

After
[Image: WILSON-BENESCH-ACT-C60-AvecSam.png]

IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(20-Dec-2014, 14:23)PhilP Wrote: Well done Bill!.

According to Devialet the bass response of the ACT C60s has been improved from 56Hz to 20Hz which is quite a stunning difference. I wouldn't think that there would be any need for a Torus now Wink

The improvement in the before and after traces is impressive too (black - desired, orange - obtained):

Before

After

Well done Bill!.

According to Devialet the bass response of the ACT 60s has been improved from 56Hz to 20Hz which is quite a stunning difference. I wouldn't think that there would be any need for a Torus now Wink

Before

After

Hi Phil,
I had'nt seen the trace but I have to say the sound matches it without a doubt, well impressed. Just connected my DD12 sub and it is going to take some while to intigrate with the C60's, might not even bother. By the way just had an e mail from Paul to say he has sold my NDS so replied with a request to order 250 slave.

Cheers,
Bill
Bill, sounds as if you've made Paul's Christmas too Smile

Re. subs and SAM you might want to read this on the Devailet site.

SAM and sub-woofer

Its not very well-written but basically says "...it is possible that with SAM a subwoofer does not offer optimal performance"
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(20-Dec-2014, 17:25)PhilP Wrote: Bill, sounds as if you've made Paul's Christmas too Smile

Re. subs and SAM you might want to read this on the Devailet site.

SAM and sub-woofer

Its not very well-written but basically says "...it is possible that with SAM a subwoofer does not offer optimal performance"

Hi Phil,
Here I am 2.00am now listening to Graceland and it sounds absolutely fantastic, the bottom end is stunning. My trip to Paris was indeed one of my best upgrades ever. SWMBO said to me earlier this sounds better than your Naim stuff, she seriously has a point.
Cheers,
Bill.