Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qobuz Financial Problems - Le site Qobuz placé en procédure de sauvegarde
I was very surprised to hear that Qobuz have financial problems:

Qobuz problems?

especially so given that they've just opened a full UK service.

EDIT: quote from the same site but in english:

"As reported in LesEchos.fr, France-based Qobuz has entered procédure de sauvegarde which is roughly the equivalent of Chapter 11 protection. Qobuz President Yves Riesel explains that they were unsuccessful in raising a third round of financing which led to the filing. That said, my very limited understanding of procédure de sauvegarde suggests that a company must still be solvent, i.e. not in default, and they have 4 months in which to raise the funds needed to continue operating."
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(29-Aug-2014, 11:30)PhilP Wrote: I was very surprised to hear that Qobuz have financial problems:

Qobuz problems?

especially so given that they've just opened a full UK service.

EDIT: quote from the same site but in english:

"As reported in LesEchos.fr, France-based Qobuz has entered procédure de sauvegarde which is roughly the equivalent of Chapter 11 protection. Qobuz President Yves Riesel explains that they were unsuccessful in raising a third round of financing which led to the filing. That said, my very limited understanding of procédure de sauvegarde suggests that a company must still be solvent, i.e. not in default, and they have 4 months in which to raise the funds needed to continue operating."

Yes I saw that - thanks for sharing. Let's hope they make it. With Linn Records now only selling their own-label music that does reduce the number of options for downloading high-res music. I think Qobuz is excellent.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks PhilP. I'd be very sorry to see Qobuz go - I find it a very good service, especially for discovering classical music. Not sure they got the pricing model quite right (sounds obvious to say that now, I know!), but it must be an extremely difficult market to compete in, especially if your USP appeals to quite a niche market.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I tried both Spotify and Qobuz, and Qobuz is miles better when it comes to soundquality. I hope they'll make it in this difficult market.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I've downloaded 16 hi-res albums from Qobuz today (took about 5 hours) hopefully in the process contributing, even if only in a small way, to their continued success. I was taking advantage of their current generous 50% discount on hi-res downloads.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(31-Aug-2014, 20:56)PhilP Wrote: I've downloaded 16 hi-res albums from Qobuz today (took about 5 hours) hopefully in the process contributing, even if only in a small way, to their continued success. I was taking advantage of their current generous 50% discount on hi-res downloads.

Oh yes I must do that too!! I saw their offer...

Thanks for the heads up.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(31-Aug-2014, 20:57)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(31-Aug-2014, 20:56)PhilP Wrote: I've downloaded 16 hi-res albums from Qobuz today (took about 5 hours) hopefully in the process contributing, even if only in a small way, to their continued success. I was taking advantage of their current generous 50% discount on hi-res downloads.

Thanks for the heads up.

Guillaume

Just be careful - the discount code only works for a single order so you need to build up a decent list before checking out Wink
(31-Aug-2014, 21:32)PhilP Wrote:
(31-Aug-2014, 20:57)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

Guillaume

Just be careful - the discount code only works for a single order so you need to build up a decent list before checking out Wink

Good tip!

Guillaume

UK
Good tip indeed, I haven't looked at Qobuz for a while, just had a quick look and noticed that they have the Led Zep remasters in 24bit, I might need to do a bit of shopping next week.
(31-Aug-2014, 22:03)Confused Wrote: Good tip indeed, I haven't looked at Qobuz for a while, just had a quick look and noticed that they have the Led Zep remasters in 24bit, I might need to do a bit of shopping next week.

I love Led Zeppelin but there have been some varying reviews of the new re-masters - not really about the quality of the sound but more about the way the remastering has been done. Not everyone is a fan of the way Jimmy Page does things.

I much prefer the original vinyl issues - the various colourations all add to the emotional atmosphere, I guess.