Poll: Do you own/use a turntable with your Devialet?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I own & frequently use my turntable
54.41%
37 54.41%
Yes, I own but rarely use my turntable
26.47%
18 26.47%
Yes, I own but no longer use my turntable
1.47%
1 1.47%
No, I don't own a turntable but I'm considering getting one
8.82%
6 8.82%
No, I don't own a turntable and I'm not interested in getting one
8.82%
6 8.82%
Total 68 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How many Devialet owners use a Turntable?
(26-Jan-2016, 14:57)samurai7595 Wrote: I own a Rega RP10 turntable which is connected to my Devialet 200.

I find that I'm using my turntable less-and-less due to the fact that my streamer is so much more convenient and can provide music for hours at a time.

I find that the older I'm getting the less patience I have to deal with the usual analog rituals: open dust cover, remove LP from packaging & place LP on platter, brush LP, brush stylus, listen & flip over after 20 minutes, repeat...

So out of curiosity, how many Devialet owners still own & use a turntable?

This reminds me why I abandoned records years ago.  When the dawn of the CD was upon us I couldn't wait to move on.  It was fun spinning vinyl while it lasted but I don't miss it and haven't looked back.  Though had that outcome been different I would not have piped the analog stream into a Devialet, not if it was my primary source for listening to music anyway.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Just received rp yesterday. When i young, i foolishly gave away my records and since then have always yearned for one. So i finally got clearaudio innovation compact with a universal tone arm, a stradivari v2 cartridge and a master clamp connected to a D400. Right out of the box it sounded so much better than my aurender or my oppo. Still, i am going to continue listening to tidal 80% of the because it is simply convenient.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
(10-Nov-2016, 01:23)abcd Wrote: Just received rp yesterday. When i was young, i foolishly gave away my records and since then have always yearned for one. So i finally got clearaudio innovation compact with a universal tone arm, a stradivari v2 cartridge and a master clamp connected to a D400. Right out of the box it sounded so much better than my aurender or my oppo. Still, i am going to continue listening to tidal 80% of the because it is simply convenient.

(10-Nov-2016, 01:23)abcd Wrote: Just received rp yesterday. When i young, i foolishly gave away my records and since then have always yearned for one. So i finally got clearaudio innovation compact with a universal tone arm, a stradivari v2 cartridge and a master clamp connected to a D400. Right out of the box it sounded so much better than my aurender or my oppo. Still, i am going to continue listening to tidal 80% of the because it is simply convenient.

I was brought up on vinyl and turntables, cartridges and cleaning fluid and clicks and pops despite my efforts, compressed sound stage and rumble.  I had, at that stage, about 1000 LPs.  I must have been among the first buyers of a CD player - I know I paid a lot of money for it.  But from the very beginning, I preferred CD.  Listening to quiet music passages that seemed to disappear to nothingness was one of my great early experiences.  And to quote the hype of the time - it was as if a veil had been lifted from the music.  Yes some of the early CDs were a bit glarey - but then LPs suffered, and continue to suffer, from a range of sonic problems. 

I kept my turntable and record collection for a long time - only getting rid of them when I moved houses and had to declutter.

I just think it is amazing that all my music now sits on an external hard drive.  All my music is literally at my fingertips and can be played on multiple systems.  And yes I also subscribe to Qobuz.  

Do I want to ever want to go back to clicks and pops and the whole vinyl esoterica - no thankyou!
(10-Nov-2016, 05:43)Will Wrote: I was brought up on vinyl and turntables, cartridges and cleaning fluid and clicks and pops despite my efforts, compressed sound stage and rumble.  I had, at that stage, about 1000 LPs.  I must have been among the first buyers of a CD player - I know I paid a lot of money for it.  But from the very beginning, I preferred CD.  Listening to quiet music passages that seemed to disappear to nothingness was one of my great early experiences.  And to quote the hype of the time - it was as if a veil had been lifted from the music.  Yes some of the early CDs were a bit glarey - but then LPs suffered, and continue to suffer, from a range of sonic problems. 

I kept my turntable and record collection for a long time - only getting rid of them when I moved houses and had to declutter.

I just think it is amazing that all my music now sits on an external hard drive.  All my music is literally at my fingertips and can be played on multiple systems.  And yes I also subscribe to Qobuz.  

Do I want to ever want to go back to clicks and pops and the whole vinyl esoterica - no thankyou!

I agree with this, though I still have a turntable connected (and 3 others if I want to change sound) and lots of LPs. I generally prefer CDs, though I do have a couple of recordings where I prefer the balance of the LP (more bass, probably air and structure born coupling to the turntable Smile)
The one thing I haven't taken to, as a mainly classical music listener, is streaming. None of the ripping programmes tag the works in a convenient useable way and I can't be bothered to re-tag every rip. Qobuz has the same problem when searching for something, tags inadequate.
Listening to a new CD of a live Bruckner recording as I type :Smile won't be ripping it to disc. 
Last time I wanted to listen to an LP I couldn't find it, must have been put in the wrong place in the rack.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(10-Nov-2016, 05:43)Will Wrote: I was brought up on vinyl and turntables, cartridges and cleaning fluid and clicks and pops despite my efforts, compressed sound stage and rumble.  I had, at that stage, about 1000 LPs.  I must have been among the first buyers of a CD player - I know I paid a lot of money for it.  But from the very beginning, I preferred CD.  Listening to quiet music passages that seemed to disappear to nothingness was one of my great early experiences.  And to quote the hype of the time - it was as if a veil had been lifted from the music.  Yes some of the early CDs were a bit glarey - but then LPs suffered, and continue to suffer, from a range of sonic problems. 

Hello,
I totally agree.
Best regards,
  Sylvain
Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France
I have a streamer, a CD player, bluray player, vinyl record player, hell I've even got a cassette player. I use all these because I have always been an indiscriminate music buyer and I never sell anything I have collected, so I need to retain the means of playing it! Consequently my listening room is a complete mess of equipment, records, books, CD's etc in which I spend many enjoyable hours with my favourite hobby. Some prefer more pared down arrangements and the Devialet does allow a very simple, minimalist system. However, I guess I purchased it just because it's a great amplifier.
   For me, vinyl will always represent the essence of home HiFi, mainly because for me it goes back to my Dad's 1960 Garrard 301, Leak, Wharfdale system and has continued all my life through many different music styles: Beatles, Motown, Soul, Disco, Punk, Floyd, Jazz and now pretty much all Classical. At my age, playing vinyl is an emotional experience and this is even before the music starts! So it's a sentimental thing? Well not quite because my current vinyl record player is a truly superb device and through the excellent phono stage of the Devialet, the sound I believe challenges the more modern media. Clicks and pops on vinyl are the "Gaslight" Herr von Karajan referred to when extolling the virtues of the new CD format. This will never go away but there are many means by which surface noise can be minimised. Keith Monks have a very good solution for example.
Today I can review all the latest classical releases on Qubuz in superb sound, which is a fantastic thing to be able to do. But if I want to immerse myself in the emotional depths of Mahlers Kindertotenlieder, I may just play my Mono LP of the wonderful Kathleen Ferrier. We are very lucky to have such easy access to a vast wealth of music online but for me I also value the ability to experience individual performances on a media which is both more tactile and involved. Oh no, the needles stuck again!
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
Harry., I fully concur with your thinking. For those of us that grew up with vinyl, it is a critical component in our musical appreciation. Sure, I listen to streamed music far more now than I do vinyl, but when I want to fully immerse myself, it often involves spinning an LP up on the turntable and settling in to listen in a darkened room full of memories and musical bliss.

I know there are some millennials that are into vinyl, but without living and breathing it from early youth through old(er) age, I fear that it will become nothing but history. And that would be a sad loss.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Well, we are two months back into a TT. My wife's TT has been in Greece at her mother's house for a decade with her LPs. We listen to it there via a Nait3. So we eventually decided to get one for the 250 (a somewhat upgraded Planar 3), and repatriate some LPs at Xmas.

We're listening 90% to Vinyl at present for one very simple reason. It has a far far better soundstage and the music 'breathes' more. It makes the streamed music sound 2-dimensional and dull. We suddenly want to listen to music a lot more, and the neighbours all hate us....
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(18-Nov-2016, 00:14)mdconnelly Wrote:   For those of us that grew up with vinyl, it is a critical component in our musical appreciation.  

For a lot of us, it was the only choice apart from radio, until Philips bought out the first mono cassette recorder. I used to sit with a portable radio, with the mic. for the recorder in front of it, with my finger on the button ready to record the next track from the top ten. Our family record player was a  Dansette (mono) model. Sounds weird, but I remember the smell of it!  Happy days.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England