Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sonore Streamers
(23-Feb-2016, 13:15)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 13:14)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 13:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Ideally a few of them Wink

Seriously though I'm strangely hopeful that this might be the device, regardless of PS and without any other gizmo's required.

Probably deluded I know, but I can't wait for a few 'head-to-heads' once it comes out

I'm sure it will work perfectly well. And you can always throw in a re-clocker (or two!) at a later stage. Or upgrade the thing in a year's time!

Guillaume

By the time it comes out they'll have probably discovered a new problem with USB anyway…. Wink

So you'll need to buy the Mutec after all. Oh dear...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(23-Feb-2016, 12:46)GuillaumeB Wrote: Just need a linear power supply on that plus Mutec MC3+ and you are good to go!

Hang on that gets you over the price of the Melco N1A... hmmm.  Angel

Guillaume

Good point, but the Melco N1A isn't Roon Ready currently Sad I wish it would be.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Its not quite as compact either, which was definitely a key reason for me taking the N1A off the 'for consideration' list.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Feb-2016, 13:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Its not quite as compact either, which was definitely a key reason for me taking the N1A off the 'for consideration' list.

Well no, but neither is my 4 bay QNAP NAS that sits on my desk. With my d1 server plus external power supply, that's 3 boxes. Not to mention all the other stuff in between. 

The N1A replaces the lot! AND it sounds better than most other sources I have heard. OK the Aurender W20 is really nice - but it's £13k. I haven't spent enough time with Request's the Beast to be 100% but that's nearly £30k, and that thing is a monster. My favourite source is probably the Melco N1Z, that thing smokes! But it's £6,300.

Pound for pound I don't think anything comes close to the N1A. It's a steal.

However! It's not Roon ready. Yet.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(23-Feb-2016, 12:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 09:12)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 02:04)Antoine Wrote: The price of the MicroRendu has just been disclosed: $640 USD without the power supply.

Ooooh, that seems like a pretty reasonable price (hopefully we can just assume it sounds good!) Wink

Any announcements on ETA?

Just need a linear power supply on that plus Mutec MC3+ and you are good to go!

Hang on that gets you over the price of the Melco N1A... hmmm.  Angel

Guillaume

Ah, but you could of course add a few MC3's after your N1A, making it far more expensive.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Feb-2016, 14:02)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 13:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote: It's not quite as compact either, which was definitely a key reason for me taking the N1A off the 'for consideration' list.

Well no, but neither is my 4 bay QNAP NAS that sits on my desk. With my d1 server plus external power supply, that's 3 boxes. Not to mention all the other stuff in between. 
….

I guess in your situ the N1A would be small then, but I'm in the market for getting back towards a 'one box' solution, so love the idea that the micro rendu could be tucked away and be invisible, whereas for me the Melco would mean a full-width rack or something to put it on right next to the Dev.   My NAS, switch and other paraphernalia are all located in other parts of the house…..

Its probably not going to be possible to direct attach the rendu to a Devialet (especially not my wall mounted one), but I'm thinking a super short 'link' type cable and then I can hide it round the back or make space for it in the wall (or make a thin box for the whole unit).

I've never really heard anything bad about the sound of the Melco, so it will definitely be a benchmark, and if the rendu were capable of its performance I'd be ecstatic.  Bearing in mind they are positioning it as 'the ultimate USB renderer', with a custom built motherboard made on a 'no-compromoise to SQ' basis, it would be disappointing if it weren't at least on a par out of the box.  But stranger things have of course happened!

Since Roon have also pretty much confirmed they'll include a convolver in the software in the near future, as well as workaround to enable AU/VST plugins, I think this will result in my final setup being a Roon one for some time to come….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Feb-2016, 14:02)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 13:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Its not quite as compact either, which was definitely a key reason for me taking the N1A off the 'for consideration' list.

The N1A replaces the lot! AND it sounds better than most other sources I have heard. OK the Aurender W20 is really nice - but it's £13k. I haven't spent enough time with Request's the Beast to be 100% but that's nearly £30k, and that thing is a monster. My favourite source is probably the Melco N1Z, that thing smokes! But it's £6,300.

Pound for pound I don't think anything comes close to the N1A. It's a steal.

However! It's not Roon ready. Yet.

Guillaume

I have to agree with this after having the N1A for 4 months now. I look at all these posts about reclocking, optimising networks and linear power supplies etc and just think I am pleased I chose the Melco as all this is taken care of. Well that's my understanding anyway.
I was worried that I would not get the SQ of AIR and I now think it surpasses it. It's hard to be definite as I can't compare. But from what I remember it just added more detail and clarity.
Also the fact that I replaced my ugly NAS drive, I think it's a great product. Also noticed at a lot of Hifi shows and events a lot of products are being demoed with Melco products , that must say something.........roll on the Melco app Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

You should demo it in your system......don't discount it ?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Feb-2016, 09:12)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 02:04)Antoine Wrote: The price of the MicroRendu has just been disclosed: $640 USD without the power supply.

Ooooh, that seems like a pretty reasonable price (hopefully we can just assume it sounds good!) Wink

Any announcements on ETA?

The ETA will probably follow soon. Smile

I guess the price is OK since it's a fully custom designed/built product for a relatively small target audience but importing it from the USA will add to the costs considerably. It's all "hype" now, though of course promising. But I think I'll wait buying it until the official introduction and all the details and probably as well until at least until some user reports drop in.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(23-Feb-2016, 14:37)Womaz Wrote:

You should demo it in your system......don't discount it ?

Haha, no, can't do it. No doubt it sounds good, its definitely scored serious praise but I'm refusing to add a hifi box back to the lounge after removing them all (well, all but one being the idea) and selling my rack. The mac mini I've learned to live with in the meantime, but only temporarily... Now, if they could remove the HDDs and make it the size of a raspberryPi or similar (and add Roon), they'd have me.Wink

And don't discount those re-clockers Womaz, once your new speakers settle in, they'll be crying out for them! Wink