Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sonore Streamers
A week into the uRendu w/iFi power streaming Roon from my Win10 PC to my Dev 200 and I can say with absolute certainty it's the best my system has sounded.  Use whatever audiophool terms you like - they all seem to apply.   Whatever Devialet does with AIR3 is just not a concern of mine any longer.    

The only problem I had was after a couple days, Roon could no longer see the uRendu.  A reboot of the uRendu fixed that but then I took the advice to create a static IP address for the uRendu (on my router) and the problem has never reappeared.   Can't be sure that fixed the problem, but I've not seen the problem again.

Now, I really want to hear from those that have had the chance to compare the uRendu with iFi power supply versus any others.   I'm also curious to know if different USB connections make any difference.  I've tried it with the hard connector compared to a short Belkin generic USB cable and just don't hear a difference, but I don't have (and not sure I need) a more high-end USB cable.  Thoughts anyone?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
It is not big, was a quick setup just to get it playing will place it better later.

Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(12-May-2016, 17:12)octaviars Wrote: It is not big, was a quick setup just to get it playing will place it better later.

la la la la la (covers ears and eyes) la la la (nothing to see here)....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

http://www.audiostream.com/content/sonor...AIp7Ejy.97

His only real comment: "Wow!"

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Sorry, just can't help myself, but holy F###, cold out of the box, having played only seven to eight songs (I really know well) I already know: it's brilliant!! 

First things I noticed; increased focus, depth and separation, more powerful bass and slam, reduced digititus (what was left of it) and increased dynamics and even richness. Will listen a lot more to form a more complete opinion.Thus far not disappointed in the least, rather impressed and surprised.

This only using a dirt cheap Chinese linear PSU (@9V) powering the mR and I've even had to reintroduce a SMPS supply into my system (on a filtered outlet of my Dectet now) to power the ethernet to fiber media converter.

Can't wait for the Paul Hynes PSU and any burn in improvements many claim come in the first several days.

Using Roon, this is the current chain:

Upstairs (office) DIY NAS PC -> CAT6 -> Netgear switch -> 0.25m CAT 6 -> FMC -> fiber optic cable -> FMC -> 0.25m CAT6 -> microRendu -> Curious USB cable (0.2m) -> Mutec MC-3+ USB -> DH Labs AES/EBU -> Devialet.

[Down to earth disclaimer: my system, my ears and no, these are not night and day differences, they almost never are. I'm looking for and happy with even small improvements any stranger walking by on the street or anyone not intimately familiar with my system would probably not even recognize.]
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(12-May-2016, 15:23)Antoine Wrote:
(12-May-2016, 13:13)nicoludio Wrote: Interesting comparison between uRendu, Aurender N10 (&W20):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-c...t_12575069

Seems like a huge bargain.

Thanks for sharing, very cool outcome there! Smile Happy to read he's also going for a Paul Hynes PSU like I am.

I am using the Melco N1A into digital active speakers (with USB, SPDIF and AES/EBU inputs) and it was your posts on the Mutec and Intona that got me interested in the Mutec. So, I am considering Melco > USB > Mutec > AES > speakers.

Now, I am wondering if I can skip the Mutec and go Melco > ethernet > uRendu > USB > speakers instead.

From your first impressions of the uRendu, inserting it before the Mutec made a significant difference.
(12-May-2016, 18:30)Antoine Wrote: Sorry, just can't help myself, but holy F###, cold out of the box, having played only seven to eight songs (I really know well) I already know: it's brilliant!! 

Sounds very promising!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-May-2016, 18:30)Antoine Wrote: Sorry, just can't help myself, but holy F###, cold out of the box, having played only seven to eight songs (I really know well) I already know: it's brilliant!! 

First things I noticed; increased focus, depth and separation, more powerful bass and slam, reduced digititus (what was left of it) and increased dynamics and even richness. Will listen a lot more to form a more complete opinion.Thus far not disappointed in the least, rather impressed and surprised.

This only using a dirt cheap Chinese linear PSU (@9V) powering the mR and I've even had to reintroduce a SMPS supply into my system (on a filtered outlet of my Dectet now) to power the ethernet to fiber media converter.

Can't wait for the Paul Hynes PSU and any burn in improvements many claim come in the first several days.

Using Roon, this is the current chain:

Upstairs (office) DIY NAS PC -> CAT6 -> Netgear switch -> 0.25m CAT 6 -> FMC -> fiber optic cable -> FMC -> 0.25m CAT6 -> microRendu -> Curious USB cable (0.2m) -> Mutec MC-3+ USB -> DH Labs AES/EBU -> Devialet.

[Down to earth disclaimer: my system, my ears and no, these are not night and day differences, they almost never are. I'm looking for and happy with even small improvements any stranger walking by on the street or anyone not intimately familiar with my system would probably not even recognize.]

To quote you own words from another thread,  'In general I also like to take time to make a more firm 'assessment' if however the results even with that cheap PSU are immediately clear as in clearly better on all aspects I wouldn't need to wait that long.'

Well, it looks like you didn't need to wait that long!  Impressive!  However, I know myself that first impressions can sometimes hide things that later become apparent.  I look forward to hearing you views when you've had more listening time.  So far though, all reports look positive.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Americans are probably bored with their microRendu's by now because they've had them so long, while fellow Europeans are starting to enjoy theirs... here in the UK meanwhile I can only read about it all as the rusty cogs of our postal service grind away slowly and unpredictably.

But I think I'm in the final final stage of delivery today with a notification that a charge letter has 'been issued' - and since Im not the least bit interested in waiting another two weeks for that to arrive, I tracked down a depot where its being held, and managed to get the fee (about £32) and pay over the phone.  So, should come on Monday I've been told!

There's a bit of pressure now TBH, as I often think I don't hear what others hear, but am always pretty honest about it, so maybe I'll be the first to post that I can't tell much apart from the Mac/Intona in my setup.....

This may have been posted already, but according to DARKO, sotM's rival to the microRendu - the SMS-200 - was seen at Munich and sounds like its going to be a bit cheaper at about $450 USD and will be 'available in the next few weeks'. Might be a good alternative for people as its also RoonReady and appears to offer the same functionality.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...dy-player/

Who's going to be the first to get both to compare? Not me, I'm gadgetted out now, and if the mR works out I'll already have a load of cables/chutney/isolators to clear out...