Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Speakers - something *unconventional*
Hifi_swlon, how's your search going? The German Physiks suggested earlier in the thread are reviewed in the latest HiFi+, which reminded me to ask.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(26-Feb-2016, 21:58)thumb5 Wrote: Hifi_swlon, how's your search going?  The German Physiks suggested earlier in the thread are reviewed in the latest HiFi+, which reminded me to ask.

Pretty badly to be honest! Wink

Lack of time aside, I'm having a hard time even finding dealers for some if these let alone anyone that can do a home loan. Plus two pairs of speakers to sell.  With a life-changing Summer on its way, chances are I'll be listening to the same ones this time next year..... Luxury problems I suppose....

Is the review online or just print?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Yes, life has a habit of getting in the way of hi-fi!

There's an on-line review here: http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/german-...udspeakers, and the recent one in the print edition covers an updated version of the speaker. From reading that it seems the cross-over has been changed and there are some new finishes.
Warwickshire, UK
PS - PM me if you'd like a scan of the print review, I'll be happy to send it.
Warwickshire, UK
Any decisions made?
I had an idea of getting MBL to use with Devialet, but recently discovered German Physics Unlimited MkII.
They seem to be quite "reasonable" priced compared to their other products, and what I like compared to MBL they are not ported. I also noticed they are already SAMed so one more plus to GPs.
...very tempting.
No, I sort of gave up in the end….

Too little time, too tricky to demo the more interesting looking ones - let alone get home demo's - and more important things to think about….

I like the look of the German Physiks, but no one near me seems to have them.  I saw a deal on a used pair and thought about just taking a punt, but I've learnt the hard way thats not the best idea (financially) and so amazingly I showed restraint…..  

It seems what I'm looking for is either a fairly rare breed or doesn't exist - cool looking, not too big, sounds fantastic, great bass, and not requiring me to hand over a big chunk of cash.  Ignoring the last criteria might get me closer, but surprisingly still not a huge amount of choice.

For now I just enjoy the posts about other people finding their new speakers… Sad

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

TheGP Unlimited Mark II is quite wonderful SAMed. Lots more excellent bass and even more cogency. They are very very coherent speakers because they are one driver above 200 HZ. I absolutely love them.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Thank you, Aaron. Few short questions from my side.
Are they hard to integrate in the room, any room treatment in your case? What is the recommended room size for MkII (min, max)? Not sure if HRS-130 would be a better option. What percentage of SAM do you run with MKII?
Can you compare the HF of this driver to let's say dome tweeter and a ribbon tweeter, is it somewhere in between or something else?
Thanks!!
"Are they hard to integrate in the room, any room treatment in your case?"

Exceptionally easy to get good sound. Some people claim it takes work to dial them in perfectly, but I've been happy with how I have them. Ebaen spent a lot of time dialing in the 120s, but I did not experience this:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/germa...ks2/1.html

One of the delights of the speakers BTW is if you sit directly between them -- I have a chair between mine, you experience what feels like the world's best headphones. The perfect near field experience, although with the disconcerting effect that you hear stuff behind you unless you deaden the wall. In fact I mostly stopped listening to headphones after I bought them. I have no room treatment although I do have high ceilings and a fairly inert room.

"What is the recommended room size for MkII (min, max)?"

I'm not sure, but email Robert Kelly: r.kelly@german-physiks.com. He's incredibly helpful. My room is small, 12 x 14 or so.

"Not sure if HRS-130 would be a better option."

It might be. They all sound the same other than SPL and bass extension.
What percentage of SAM do you run with MKII? 100%.But I'm a bit of a bass freak.

"Can you compare the HF of this driver to let's say dome tweeter and a ribbon tweeter, is it somewhere in between or something else?"

The driver doesn't sound like a tweeter at all. It's a very different experience. The entire range sounds very holistic and integrated so no frequencies really stand out -- unlike with a ribbon tweeter or a good dome. You hear detail but it's always in a more holistic presentation. I have since bought a far more expensive set up with dynamic drivers, but I couldn't give up the GPs because for what they do no other kind of speaker can match them. If I have a lot of $ I would listen to the omni electrostatics, they may be even better, or the upper echelon's of MBL. But I don't think anything can touch them for this kind of presentation anywhere near their price.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(20-Mar-2016, 15:42)mirekti Wrote: What is the recommended room size for MkII (min, max)?
I came across this answer to a similar question on a review site:

" The recommended room size for the Unlimited Mk II is 100 to 500 sq ft."