Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
From reading your comparisons, I think your best of all worlds would be:

Roon + HQP + Air. Have HQP configured to pass DSD straight through to the Devialet and up-convert PCM to 176.4/192.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Has anyone had a chance comparing the Mutec against with SoTM tX-USBultra?
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/englis...-usbultra/
Is anyone also using the MC3+USB as a word clock distributor? Do you also connect to a 10M master clock?
(20-Apr-2017, 13:04)ftom Wrote: Has anyone had a chance comparing the Mutec against with SoTM tX-USBultra?
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/englis...-usbultra/

The Mutec is primarily used as a high quality DDC (digital to digital converter) to convert USB in to AES/EBU or S/PDIF out by users of this forum. Some also use it to re-clock other digital inputs like Toslink or S/PDIF.

The tx-USBultra is USB in and out so it doesn't 'compare well' functionally to the Mutec. It's meant to "regenerate" the incoming USB signal and thus output a higher integrity USB signal like the original and first in its class Uptone Audio Regen device.

If you meant whether if it (the SoTm) outperforms the Mutec with a device connecting to it when directly connected to the USB input of the Devialet, who knows? It's just been released, it'll be an interesting comparison. Same for using the SoTM (or the new ISO Regen or iFi iGalvanic 3.0) in front of the Mutec. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
In theory these new breed of "USB enhancement" devices could make endpoints like the microRendu/SMS-200 and re-clockers like the Mutec unnecessary. The cards are being reshuffled right now, let the games begin again! Smile

Of course the quality of the USB input of the Devialet plays a role here too. In my experience thus far and in it's current version (this might change with the new OS/streamer board) it is at least -very- sensitive to what it's fed. I feel it isn't very high quality compared to others out there like for example the input of the Chord Dave DAC (and even that is still sensitive to what it's fed according to at least some of its users), but Devialet is no exception here. It'll take a while for DAC manufacturers to adopt these new insights of the real importance of careful isolation and high quality clocking of even a 'digital only' input/subsystem that USB is.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
A question that I have thought about as I may need a Mutec in a coming system is will the Sotm SMS-200 Ultra with beter clock be something that matters if you feed a USB input on a Mutec or will the regular SMS-200 be enough?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(03-May-2017, 15:25)octaviars Wrote: A question that I have thought about as I may need a Mutec in a coming system is will the Sotm SMS-200 Ultra with beter clock be something that matters if you feed a USB input on a Mutec or will the regular SMS-200 be enough?

I have asked myself the same question.  There is much talk on Computer Audiophile to suggest that good clocking throughout the audio chain does indeed provide benefits, however, I am not aware of anyone who has actually tried the SMS-200 Ultra with a Mutec yet.  My plan was to sit back and wait a few weeks, or two or three months even, and see what user reports emerge.  One question I can answer is that the microRendu 'is enough', and as most reports say the SMS-200 is better, then that should be 'enough' too.  Although I understand that the real question is will the Ultra provide enough of an improvement to justify it's price?  I think it is too early to answer that one.  I could speculate that the answer is yes, but that would just be an educated guess, I would rather see a good consensus of user reports before spending any cash.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(03-May-2017, 18:34)Confused Wrote:
(03-May-2017, 15:25)octaviars Wrote: A question that I have thought about as I may need a Mutec in a coming system is will the Sotm SMS-200 Ultra with beter clock be something that matters if you feed a USB input on a Mutec or will the regular SMS-200 be enough?

I have asked myself the same question.  There is much talk on Computer Audiophile to suggest that good clocking throughout the audio chain does indeed provide benefits, however, I am not aware of anyone who has actually tried the SMS-200 Ultra with a Mutec yet.  My plan was to sit back and wait a few weeks, or two or three months even, and see what user reports emerge.  One question I can answer is that the microRendu 'is enough', and as most reports say the SMS-200 is better, then that should be 'enough' too.  Although I understand that the real question is will the Ultra provide enough of an improvement to justify it's price?  I think it is too early to answer that one.  I could speculate that the answer is yes, but that would just be an educated guess, I would rather see a good consensus of user reports before spending any cash.

Exactly my thougts you describe and as the Ultra is as I understand going to cost something like 1200 Dollars that is a lot more than the 450 Dollars the regular 200 costs.

Well time will tell how the ultra performes and as I understand it is going live in Munich.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Hi everyone,

I am fully aware that the Mutec has lost a little bit of its appeal in the Devialet world with the release of Roon/AIR streaming solution.

Having said that, as I was engaged into the track of optimizing my source independently of the developments of Devialet, following what Antoine had achieved on his own, I had ordered a Paul Hynes LPSU in January and received it in July.

This long awaited marvel was aimed at feeding my MacMini, which I had transformed using an UpTone kit, my Mutec MC-3+USB and a µ-rendu or sMS-200. I was a little reluctant to transform the Mutec, but achieved that with the help of a friend. And I am literally stunned by the results of this transformation.

I have been an early supporter of the Mutec as the origin of this thread can witness. But I had recently become weary of the little veil which was affecting the results and making it slightly less transparent than the Roon/AIR solution.
Now that the SPSU of the Mutec is removed and it is powered by the Paul Hynes LPSU, the sound produced by the combination of the MacMini -> Mutec -> Devialet (D900) is absolutely incredible in terms of transparency while keeping all the other/positive attributes of the Mutec in terms of bass assertiveness, airy reproduction of instruments/voices, aso...

The sMS-200/µ-rendu have become redundant and left the chain.

I have done the same transformation on a second system I have which includes a darTZeel LHC-208 and Voxativ Zeth and achieved the same results.

I am therefore tempted to assess that the investment into a Paul Hynes LPSU was a major step forward in my systems. This is nothing new for most of this forum's readers, but the extent of the transformation was a revelation for me Wink

I am now waiting for a Ref-10 to check whether any additional improvements are possible. Let's see what Mutec have in store for us...

If I could risk an advice to the wonderful/very clever people of Mutec: why not use the seemingly great PSU of the Ref-10 and derive part of its current to feed the MC-3+ USB ? Or at least provide a DC plug on the MC-3+ USB ? This would save us the pain of nasty/warranty voiding transformations and make the user experience so much more enjoyable [Image: smile.png]
(19-Aug-2017, 10:19)SwissBear Wrote: Hi everyone,

I am fully aware that the Mutec has lost a little bit of its appeal in the Devialet world with the release of Roon/AIR streaming solution.

Having said that, as I was engaged into the track of optimizing my source independently of the developments of Devialet, following what Antoine had achieved on his own, I had ordered a Paul Hynes LPSU in January and received it in July.

This long awaited marvel was aimed at feeding my MacMini, which I had transformed using an UpTone kit, my Mutec MC-3+USB and a µ-rendu or sMS-200. I was a little reluctant to transform the Mutec, but achieved that with the help of a friend. And I am literally stunned by the results of this transformation.

I have been an early supporter of the Mutec as the origin of this thread can witness. But I had recently become weary of the little veil which was affecting the results and making it slightly less transparent than the Roon/AIR solution.
Now that the SPSU of the Mutec is removed and it is powered by the Paul Hynes LPSU, the sound produced by the combination of the MacMini -> Mutec -> Devialet (D900) is absolutely incredible in terms of transparency while keeping all the other/positive attributes of the Mutec in terms of bass assertiveness, airy reproduction of instruments/voices, aso...

The sMS-200/µ-rendu have become redundant and left the chain.

I have done the same transformation on a second system I have which includes a darTZeel LHC-208 and Voxativ Zeth and achieved the same results.

I am therefore tempted to assess that the investment into a Paul Hynes LPSU was a major step forward in my systems. This is nothing new for most of this forum's readers, but the extent of the transformation was a revelation for me Wink

I am now waiting for a Ref-10 to check whether any additional improvements are possible. Let's see what Mutec have in store for us...

If I could risk an advice to the wonderful/very clever people of Mutec: why not use the seemingly great PSU of the Ref-10 and derive part of its current to feed the MC-3+ USB ? Or at least provide a DC plug on the MC-3+ USB ? This would save us the pain of nasty/warranty voiding transformations and make the user experience so much more enjoyable [Image: smile.png]

Hi,so, roon/air on macmini thru mutec +paul haynes lpsu is better than urendu/sms200?
Thks

Macbook pro -Air-Roon/-tidal-Devialet200 /frw 10.1.0-power cord burmester: vde reg nr9990
Power conditionner:isotek evo3+isotek sequel pc
Spkr cables: acoustic zen satori
Speakers:wilson audio sabrina