Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(19-Aug-2017, 11:48)samsoum Wrote: Hi,so, roon/air on macmini thru mutec +paul haynes lpsu is better than urendu/sms200?
Thks

Hi,

1. MacMini with Roon/AIR -> Wifi -> D900 is one option.
  2. MacMini with Roon/HQPlayer -> USB -> Mutec MC-3+ USB -> AES/EBU -> D900 is another option.
I found 1 better than 2 until I modified my Mutec. After modification, I find 2 better than 1.
Pls note this might be due to expectation bias.

One of the benefits of option 2 is a significant reduction of the noise floor. This has advantages as well as disadvantages. On one side, it revealed some new details, sensations in the recordings. On the other, it revealed a lot of defects in some recordings as well. It also underlined the benefits of using HQPlayer instead of Roon DSP otions. I noticed that HQPlayers filters displayed less post ringing in my system than Roon DSP.
A very interesting post SwissBear. I have to say that I too am very temped by the REF10 and will be fascinated to learn how well it performs with a Devialet. I suspect you may be the first to try a Ref10, MC3+, Devialet combination. Do you have long to wait for it?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(19-Aug-2017, 14:00)Confused Wrote: A very interesting post SwissBear.  I have to say that I too am very temped by the REF10 and will be fascinated to learn how well it performs with a Devialet. I suspect you may be the first to try a Ref10, MC3+, Devialet combination.  Do you have long to wait for it?

Thank you. The agent for Mutec in Switzerland has announced that some products should arrive end of August. But he also informed me that there was a shortage of products at the factory. So we will see... I will let you know anyway.
(19-Aug-2017, 13:27)SwissBear Wrote: until I modified my Mutec

Hi SwissBear

can I ask how you modified your Mutec? I am planning to remove the internal switching power supply of my Mutec and use an external linear PS instead.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(19-Aug-2017, 15:42)ogs Wrote: Hi SwissBear

can I ask how you modified your Mutec? I am planning to remove the internal switching power supply of my Mutec and use an external linear PS instead.

Hi ogs,

You will find some pictures of the transformation, without removing the SPSU board here: http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic...653#p76424

You will note that accessing the two feet of the SPSU board in order to solder in not very easy.

Another option is to remove the SPSU board. Here is a complete explanation of the operations to achieve this, including a trick to remove the female Neutrik AES/EBU plug which is not trivial: https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...5#pid44995 .

Please not that is is obviously voiding your warranty and should be made under your sole responsibility.

Please also note that Paul Hynes LPSU not only are linear power supplies, but they also present some high end characteristics, like a very well regulated power output, a very low output impedance and very minimal current leaks. Before engaging into this venture, and in order not to be disappointed by the results, you might want to find an appropriate LPSU. Uli (modmix on the US forum) expressed that he had been disappointed (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=486873).
Thanks a lot!
I'll start with the LPS-1 as I use one to power my mR. I've checked with Mutec that the current draw and voltage is OK for use with an LPS-1. I am also prepared to void the warranty in doing this. I am aware that Mutec has done a very good job with the Meanwell PS inside the MC-3, but I still want to find out if there is something to gain with a linear power supply.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(19-Aug-2017, 18:17)ogs Wrote: Thanks a lot!
I'll start with the LPS-1 as I use one to power my mR. I've checked with Mutec that the current draw and voltage is OK for use with an LPS-1. I am also prepared to void the warranty in doing this. I am aware that Mutec has done a very good job with the Meanwell PS inside the MC-3, but I still want to find out if there is something to gain with a linear power supply.

Cool, hope you will enjoy Wink
I have been playing with the idea to mod the MUTEC but given the mixed outcome of such mods I read on different forums, I haven't done it yet. If the LPS-1 is sufficient, it means that the current draw is no more than 1A?
Anyway, how do you guys get 6.3V? Is the Paul Haynes unit outputting that voltage? The LPS-1 certainly doesn't have that setting. Are you going to try 7V or have a DC-DC converter?

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(22-Aug-2017, 12:10)zdenes Wrote: Anyway, how do you guys get 6.3V? Is the Paul Haynes unit outputting that voltage?

Yes the Paul Hynes is adjustable.
But it seems that the Mutec can run with only 5V according to this post: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=708840
Thanks. I have an Uptone Audio JS-2 with selectable output voltage. 5V is an option then. 
I found a number of nicely made DC-DC converters for just over 10 euros on the internet, so getting it exactly 6.3V is also a possibility. Just most boxes and cables...and I wonder if a DC-DC converter will add more noise again?
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500