Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
There have been numerous evidence that the AES/EBU input of the Devialet, which is used when the Mutec MC-3+ USB is in the chain, is better than USB input. But there has not been any serious discussion about possible reasons why this could be the case.

Here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/ind...post-51389 is an interesting possible explanation.
Hi

How to use mc3usb + ref10 with dcs network bridge world clock inputs?
(04-Oct-2017, 22:52)bobxxxx Wrote: Hi

How to use mc3usb + ref10 with dcs network bridge world clock inputs?

I am not a clock expert, but this is something I have been looking into, I am interested in the REF10 and the Network Bridge myself.

My understanding is that the Network Bridge has a word clock input.  This is not compatible with the REF10, which has a 10MHz clock output.  However, the Mutec MC3+USB does have a 10MHz input, and a word clock output, which you could then use to feed the Network Bridge.  So this gives you some options.

1.  REF10 connects to Mutec MC3+USB and generates a word clock output for the Network Bridge, which runs AES/EBU direct to the Devialet.
2.  REF10 connects to Mutec MC3+USB.  Network Bridge runs AES/EBU to the Mutec, this provides REF10 reclocking, Mutec AES/EBU to the Devialet.
3.  The same a 2 above, but you also run the MC3+USB word clock to the Network Bridge.

The other general comment with the REF10 seams to be use good quality cables which need to be as short as possible.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Which of these TWO setup would yield a better performance ... ?

MACBOOK AIR - - > AQ DIAMOND USB - - > MUTEC MC-3+ USB / MUTEC REF10 - - > AQ DIAMOND AES/EBU - - > DEV
[Image: With_Mutec_jpg.jpg]

MACBOOK AIR - - > AQ DIAMOND USB - - > DCS NETWORK BRIDGE - - > AQ DIAMOND AES/EBU - - > DEV

[Image: With_DCS.jpg]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(05-Oct-2017, 13:18)audio_engr Wrote: Which of these TWO setup would yield a better performance ... ?

MACBOOK AIR - - > AQ DIAMOND USB - - > MUTEC MC-3+ USB / MUTEC REF10 - - > AQ DIAMOND AES/EBU - - > DEV

MACBOOK AIR - - > AQ DIAMOND USB - - > DCS NETWORK BRIDGE - - > AQ DIAMOND AES/EBU - - > DEV

Hi audio_eng,

I have a fantastic experience with the first one. Although I need to precise that the experience is even better if you add an SOtM sMS-200 Ultra and tx-USB Ultra, both connected to the Ref-10, in the chain.

As Antoine described a long time ago in this forum, what is very important is to have clean power-supply. I am using a Paul Hynes to power the 2 SOtM gears as well as the MC-3+ USB which I have transformed.

I highly recommend this transformation for the purpose of getting full transparency with the MC-3+ USB.
(05-Oct-2017, 12:48)Confused Wrote: The other general comment with the REF10 seams to be use good quality cables which need to be as short as possible.

High quality does not mean expensive and there is no need to go up to the fancy Habst cables. These ones (https://www.pasternack.com/bnc-male-bnc-...403-p.aspx) are compliant with the recommendations of Mutec (double shielded) and work perfectly in my installation.
(05-Oct-2017, 13:18)audio_engr Wrote: Which of these TWO setup would yield a better performance ... ?

It obviously highly unlikely that anyone has tried these two exact options in a A/B test, so all we can do is informed speculation.

On this basis I would say your first option looks the best to me.  There are a few reasons for this.  I read a report recently of someone with the both the Network Bridge and the Mutec MC3+USB.  He tried running the Network bridge using the Mutec MC3+USB to provide the master clock, the result was a zero apparent change in sound quality.  What this suggests is that the clock performance in the MC3+USB is very similar to the Network Bridge.  I have taken an interest in the Network Bridge myself, I did read one user report that stated it is as good as an Aurender N10.  That said, I have spoken to a dealer of both Aurender and dCS products who was of the opinion that the dCS was not quite at the Aurender X100 level, but the Network Bridge was excellent when used with one of dCS's own word / master clocks.

From my own experience, the combination of the Mutec MC3+USB with the Devialet is an excellent one, even without the REF10, there are a few other posters on this forum with similar views.  It figures therefore that adding the REF10 would yield even better results.  So far I think SwissBear is the only Devialet user to actually try this, but as reported elsewhere he has found good results with this combination, albeit his MC3+USB has been modified to use a very good LPSU. 

So in crude terms, I think the Network Bridge will probably perform at a similar level to a non-REF10 Mutec MC3+USB, it therefore figures that a REF10 clocked Mutec MC3+USB will come out on top.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I also have a REF10 clocked Mutec MC3+USB feeding my Devialet 400. The addition of the REF10 made a huge impact (as eloquently described by Swissbear elsewhere). Not that the MC3+ / Devialet -combo would have sounded bad to start with, but the REF10 really added magic to the sound. This is with a still un-modified MC3+, as I am waiting for my Paul Hynes SR7 to power it.
@ SwissBear, Confused & LupusAlpha : Thank you for your posts & your comments. I appreciate it ...

here's another quite a stellar product [ Antelope Audio ]  ...   WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ?

keeping in mind that a dedicated Reference grade Word Clock does drastically improve the performance level .. 

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_10_05_at_8_27_23_PM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_10_05_at_8_27_41_PM.png]
[url=https://imgbb.com/][/url]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(05-Oct-2017, 21:39)audio_engr Wrote: @ SwissBear, Confused & LupusAlpha : Thank you for your posts & your comments. I appreciate it ...

here's another quite a stellar product [ Antelope Audio ]  ...   WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ?

keeping in mind that a dedicated Reference grade Word Clock does drastically improve the performance level .. 

Hi audio-engr,

Not sure what this Antelope Audio device will provide in addition to what a Mutec MC-3+ USB could deliver.

As I tried to explain here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=715925, I have found that the optimization of my source had brought improvements into two directions: the transparency and the emotions.

I have found SOtM products very efficient in bringing additional transparency to the sound produced by my system.
I also found that the MC-3+ USB, as well as the addition of the Ref-10 to it, was bringing a lot of emotions to the music, drastically increasing the dynamic and the micro-dynamic of the sound.

But I also understand that we are not all sensitive to the same perceptions. Someone will be looking for a perfect tonal restitution, whereas someone else will be more sensitive to a perfect sound stage and a lot of micro-dynamics.

My suggestion to you would be to progress step by step. Try a Mutec MC-3+ USB to check if you are feeling the difference. Then upgrade it whether with a Ref-10 or a sMS-200 Ultra. And move gradually in the direction which is appropriate to you Wink