Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
Some clues here re Antelope Audio clocks:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent-528744

Not the best......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(05-Oct-2017, 17:44)LupusAlpha Wrote: I also have a REF10 clocked Mutec MC3+USB feeding my Devialet 400. The addition of the REF10 made a huge impact (as eloquently described by Swissbear elsewhere). Not that the MC3+ / Devialet -combo would have sounded bad to start with, but the REF10 really added magic to the sound. This is with a still un-modified MC3+, as I am waiting for my Paul Hynes SR7 to power it.

Hi LupusAlpha,

Thanks again for lending me your sMS-200 Ultra while you were sunbathing. This was an incredible opportunity for me Wink

Due to the heated debates on the Ref-10 thread of computeraudiophile.com I have not reported my findings with the tx-USB Ultra I received one week ago.

I have to acknowledge that the combination of sMS-200 Ultra + tx-USB Ultra + MC-3 USB, all of them power supplied by the Paul Hynes and driven by the Ref-10 is an amazing combination.

I have compared this combo with Devialet AIR and I can report that, on my system, the transparency is significantly improved compared to Devialet AIR, whereas the dynamics is drastically increased !

When switching to Devialet AIR, the restitution remains absolutely good, but the sound seems flat, like amputated from a lot of macro/micro-dynamic vibration which bring a lot of realism to the restitution.
It is highly unlikely that anyone had a chance to compare the relatively new Mutec Ref 10 to another system with a similarly good clock while using the Devialet.
Myself included, I can't comment on any comparison but I must say the Ref 10 must have been the best spent money on audio gear in many years for me (and that is much more money than I would like to remember).

In fact, before buying the Ref 10, I had sent my SOtM SMS-200 Ultra for an upgrade to accommodate the clock input. SOtM did an extremely fast job, including upgrading my switch. Unfortunately, my stuff is still being cleared at customs so I have only heard the Ref 10 in this set-up: Oppo-UDP203 - MC3+USB (using spdif input) - Devialet, where only the MC3+ is connected to the Ref 10. What I can hear exceeds anything I had heard from my system anytime in the past 25 years which included top Accuphase, Wadia, Theta Digital, C.E.C. and other respected digital players and transports for much more money than the Ref 10. It is highly recommended.
Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(05-Oct-2017, 22:09)SwissBear Wrote: I have to acknowledge that the combination of sMS-200 Ultra + tx-USB Ultra + MC-3 USB, all of them power supplied by the Paul Hynes and driven by the Ref-10 is an amazing combination.

I have compared this combo with Devialet AIR and I can report that, on my system, the transparency is significantly improved compared to Devialet AIR, whereas the dynamics is drastically increased !

When switching to Devialet AIR, the restitution remains absolutely good, but the sound seems flat, like amputated from a lot of macro/micro-dynamic vibration which bring a lot of realism to the restitution.

This is indeed very good news ... personally I being a violinist from age-5 as a hobby am extremely perceptive to the 'soul touching emotion' of the music & I strive towards getting this thru my reproduced music. Dynamics (both macro & micro) are also an integral part of the music that together brings forth the true realism of the music ... 

Recently - I carried out cable changes in my system (2 powercords for D400, Ethernet cable, Devialet LINK cable & speaker cables). What this has brought forth are :
Temporal resolution & phasing .. there's no smearing, no ambiguity, only pure & clear view into the music making with instruments & players precisely locked within the soundstage with great 3-dimensional dynamism as opposite to a static picture. There's great sonority & physical dimension to the music. These cable changes also clearly renders the recording venue & this teleports a listener to the venue. 

Now - with all this above "drama" happening, adding a top-notch source like the sMS-200 Ultra + tx-USB Ultra + MC-3 USB, all of them power supplied by the Paul Hynes and driven by the Ref-10 should actually take you close to heaven ... 

I think I will soon need to check this out ... Thanks to all here for showing me this direction !!  And pushing things to the cream-de-la -cream level ... haha !!  Great Audio is indeed fun & a charm !!  Smile ...  [ wonder if the wives will ever understandWink
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(06-Oct-2017, 00:02)zdenes Wrote: What I can hear exceeds anything I had heard from my system anytime in the past 25 years which included top Accuphase, Wadia, Theta Digital, C.E.C. and other respected digital players and transports for much more money than the Ref 10. It is highly recommended.
Zoltan

My previous setup was a metronome kalista Ref + Accuphase DAC that I considered satisfying ... 

approx. 2 years back I was impressed with the Antelope Audio setup

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_10_05_at_11_11_30_PM.png]

I need to seriously take a look at your suggested source setup ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(05-Oct-2017, 12:48)Confused Wrote:
(04-Oct-2017, 22:52)bobxxxx Wrote: Hi

How to use mc3usb + ref10 with dcs network bridge world clock inputs?

I am not a clock expert, but this is something I have been looking into, I am interested in the REF10 and the Network Bridge myself.

My understanding is that the Network Bridge has a word clock input.  This is not compatible with the REF10, which has a 10MHz clock output.  However, the Mutec MC3+USB does have a 10MHz input, and a word clock output, which you could then use to feed the Network Bridge.  So this gives you some options.

1.  REF10 connects to Mutec MC3+USB and generates a word clock output for the Network Bridge, which runs AES/EBU direct to the Devialet.
2.  REF10 connects to Mutec MC3+USB.  Network Bridge runs AES/EBU to the Mutec, this provides REF10 reclocking, Mutec AES/EBU to the Devialet.
3.  The same a 2 above, but you also run the MC3+USB word clock to the Network Bridge.

The other general comment with the REF10 seams to be use good quality cables which need to be as short as possible.

1. and 3. i am talking about.

I think i have to connect REF10 to Mutec MC3+USB and set Mutec MC3+USB as external Word Clock mode.
Set MC3+USB WC out N°1 to 44.1kHz and connect to DCS Bridge WC in N°1
Set MC3+USB WC out N°2 to 48kHz and connect to DCS Bridge WC in N°2

Am i correct?
(06-Oct-2017, 10:55)bobxxxx Wrote:
(05-Oct-2017, 12:48)Confused Wrote:
(04-Oct-2017, 22:52)bobxxxx Wrote: Hi

How to use mc3usb + ref10 with dcs network bridge world clock inputs?

I am not a clock expert, but this is something I have been looking into, I am interested in the REF10 and the Network Bridge myself.

My understanding is that the Network Bridge has a word clock input.  This is not compatible with the REF10, which has a 10MHz clock output.  However, the Mutec MC3+USB does have a 10MHz input, and a word clock output, which you could then use to feed the Network Bridge.  So this gives you some options.

1.  REF10 connects to Mutec MC3+USB and generates a word clock output for the Network Bridge, which runs AES/EBU direct to the Devialet.
2.  REF10 connects to Mutec MC3+USB.  Network Bridge runs AES/EBU to the Mutec, this provides REF10 reclocking, Mutec AES/EBU to the Devialet.
3.  The same a 2 above, but you also run the MC3+USB word clock to the Network Bridge.

The other general comment with the REF10 seams to be use good quality cables which need to be as short as possible.

1. and 3. i am talking about.

I think i have to connect REF10 to Mutec MC3+USB and set Mutec MC3+USB as external Word Clock mode.
Set MC3+USB WC out N°1 to 44.1kHz and connect to DCS Bridge WC in N°1
Set MC3+USB WC out N°2 to 48kHz and connect to DCS Bridge WC in N°2

Am i correct?
I think there are only two people on this forum with a Mutec MC3+USB/REF10, and I do not believe either has tried using the Mutec's MC3's word clock output.  So actual user advice might be thin on the ground here!  As a suggestion, there are some excellent Mutec threads on Computer Audiophile.  This has to be the 'go to' forum for detailed Mutec information and indeed user experience, plus Mutec's Julian David is a regular and very helpful poster on CA.  Some links below.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent-664354

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent-247862

Of course you could always email Mutec directly, I have done this a couple of times in the past and found them to be very helpful and responsive.  As a final suggestion, do what I would probably do and experiment endlessly and hope nothing explodes or melts. Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Just to share I've add Cybershaft clock to my mutec, and the improvement to my devialet is substantial. I believe REF10 would be the same or even better.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
Hi confused,
I almost followed all the " detailed" explanations about word clocks , mutec, and so .....
I know that you are interested in the dcs nb and so i am.
I m not fan of the 6 boxes : sms ultra+ sms 500+ sms thx usb+mutec+ref10+ paul haynes eventhough it s attaining a serious step up in sq versus roon air.
I will prefer dcs nb + clock may be as an upgrade later on.
So im enjoying my system now, following wha t s happening, and definitely looking forward on your decision and plan.
Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-Oct-2017, 18:39)samsoum Wrote: I m not fan of the 6 boxes : sms ultra+ sms 500+ sms thx usb+mutec+ref10+ paul haynes eventhough it s attaining a serious step up in sq versus roon air.
I will prefer dcs nb + clock may be as an upgrade later on.

I too like a simplified approach ... so will wait & watch for some stellar solution in this extremely cut-throat fierce digital competition