Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
I can confirm what other have already observed. I received the Mutec Ref 10 several days ago and having had a chance to finally listen seriously - I am amazed by the clear difference c/w the Mutec 3.2 USB - specifically the space around the instruments, the clear limpid sound especially of piano music, the complete absence of glare despite the rounded clear tone, the sense that you are hearing the studio sound . . . Just amazing. . Fast detailed sound without the overdetailed glare that draws attention to itself rather than the music. The type of improvement I thought I might get by changing speakers . . !

I am streaming from a Mac mini via Hqplayer to a Mutec 1.2 (their basic usb converter), AES to the Mutec 3.2 USB, which is clocked by the Ref 10, to the Devs via AES. 

If one has the chance to try it out I would most definitely encourage it!

Cheers
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
Hi @Spindrift
you refer to Mutec 3.2 USB in your post, but your sig says MC-3+ USB. Different units?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(11-Oct-2017, 10:36)ogs Wrote: Hi @Spindrift
you refer to Mutec 3.2 USB in your post, but your sig says MC-3+ USB. Different units?

My bad! Thanks for catching that - I was referring to the MC-3+ USB and Mutec 1.2 - got my models mixed up. I am tempted to take the 1.2 out of the signal chain and just use the MC-3 USB directly but I don’t want to change too many things at once . .
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
Quite a good review appeared today:

http://hifipig.com/mutec-mc-3-smart-cloc...more-34993
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Oct-2017, 17:45)Confused Wrote: Quite a good review appeared today:

http://hifipig.com/mutec-mc-3-smart-cloc...more-34993

Yes, good review and some background information that I’d never seen before. Have been using Roon Air a lot recently, but haven’t had the inclination to compare this closely to the Mutec output.
Anybody else done this?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Has anybody had he chance to compare Aurender N100H / with Mutec USB 3+ (SPDIF output) and Aurender N10 (SPDIF output with internal Aurender clock) ?
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
For anyone owns Mutec 3+ USB, this is a tweak that you can try and it does not cost much.

After reading someone mentioned using 75ohms BNC termination plugs in Computer Audiophile, i decide to take a try.
I ordered some termination plugs through my local electronic parts stockist, each plug not cost more than a few bucks. Other than the one I used for my 10MHz clock input from Mutec Ref10, I terminate all the rest of 7 BNC connections on Mutec 3+ USB.

After playing music from my hifi setup for 5min, I started to realise the music get slightly richer, the soundstage seems to expand and it is easier to locate the individual players compare to before. The improvement is not day and night, but substantial enough to get noticed.

This tweak does not cost me much and I guess anyone can try without breaking the bank.

Smile
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(18-Dec-2017, 17:40)Sharone Wrote: For anyone owns Mutec 3+ USB, this is a tweak that you can try and it does not cost much.

After reading someone mentioned using 75ohms BNC termination plugs in Computer Audiophile, i decide to take a try.
I ordered some termination plugs through my local electronic parts stockist, each plug not cost more than a few bucks. Other than the one I used for my 10MHz clock input from Mutec Ref10, I terminate all the rest of 7 BNC connections on Mutec 3+ USB.

After playing music from my hifi setup for 5min, I started to realise the music get slightly richer, the soundstage seems to expand and it is easier to locate the individual players compare to before. The improvement is not day and night, but substantial enough to get noticed.

This tweak does not cost me much and I guess anyone can try without breaking the bank.

Smile
I recall reading about this on Computer Audiophile and deciding that it is such a cheap tweak, why not give it a try?  I then promptly forgot all about it..... Huh

Anyway, thanks @Sharone, your post has served a reminder.  I have ordered some BNC termination plugs, and when they arrive I will test and report back.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(18-Dec-2017, 17:40)Sharone Wrote: For anyone owns Mutec 3+ USB, this is a tweak that you can try and it does not cost much.

Smile

Is it safe to terminate both inputs and outputs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Hi Zdenes,
Yes, it is safe to terminate both BNC inputs and outputs.
The spdif input and all BNC outputs are terminated in my setup.

I notice that you are also using Mutec REF-10. Are you getting good results from it?Big Grin
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers