Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Phantom in DAR
If the Phantom meet your needs functionally and you can try them for yourself I'd certainly suggest it. Please let us know what you think if you do compare them.

Owning the D200/KEF LS50 and having heard the Phantom (but not in the same room at the same time) I loved what I heard from both. A fair comparison would have to include a subwoofer well integrated with the LS50. Still, my memory is that the Phantom would best the LS50 in imaging, detail, clarity, and lack of box coloration, but not sweetness or bass quality (with a good sub). I didn't enjoy the Phantom's overblown bass at the time when I heard it. I've heard good bass from a subwoofer with the LS50, but not as good as from a large full-range speaker like the KEF Blade.

For me the bigger problem is that the Phantom is far more limited functionally. I'd miss room correction, flexible inputs (sources and software), and surround sound. I got tired of waiting for Devialet to live up to those promises so moved on from considering the Phantom. However I still hold out hope so am very interested in everyone's comparison of the sound of the Phantom vs. other systems. Please add to the pool of comparisons if you have the opportunity.
I actually had heard a pair of Phantom Silvers at a local Devialet distributor's showroom and the result wasn't very convincing. I couldn't hear what DAR had claimed pinpoint clarity and better soundstage. Yes, the bass performance was impressive. A lot of my friends are discouraging me to take this path. The main reason if I choose to go this way is to simplify further of my hifi setup: one less amp and speaker cabling. I'm half-hearted is because I like AIR very much, which is working well for me on my current NUC/Win10/Roon, and I think I will sorely miss it if I go Phantom's way.

Unfortunately, in China, there's no 45-day trial for Phantoms.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

My dealer had the Phantom set up as befits their profit for him (almost none). He said that most people buying them walked in, looked at them, and bought them. I was one of the few to listen. He let me position them and they changed from mediocre to excellent in what they do well when I pulled them away from the rear wall and toed them in a little. I couldn't get the bass to sound great in his room (moderately treated but small). Anyway, if you hear Phantom that don't sound at least pretty darn good I would look at the room and positioning. I've heard many excellent speakers sound very poor in the wrong conditions. I'm not pushing the Phantoms. I didn't choose them. I just want you to have the best chance of finding your favorite setup, so if your dealer's setup isn't optimal I recommend trying to fix that before concluding your judgement.
(05-Feb-2016, 14:22)hk6230 Wrote: I actually had heard a pair of Phantom Silvers at a local Devialet distributor's showroom and the result wasn't very convincing. I couldn't hear what DAR had claimed pinpoint clarity and better soundstage. Yes, the bass performance was impressive. A lot of my friends are discouraging me to take this path. The main reason if I choose to go this way is to simplify further of my hifi setup: one less amp and speaker cabling. I'm half-hearted is because I like AIR very much, which is working well for me on my current NUC/Win10/Roon, and I think I will sorely miss it if I go Phantom's way.

Unfortunately, in China, there's no 45-day trial for Phantoms.

If you want help being talked out of it, technically you'll be adding complexity - assuming you go stereo you'll have two amps and two DACs, as well as a Dialog unit, two mains cables, etc, and by the sounds of it no ability to play gapless, do room correction, and a few other things I'm sure. And you'd have to use Spark rather than Roon, unless you want to shoe-horn it in. Wink

For a lot of those reasons I opted not to do it, even though from the limited sessions I've heard, the sound would suit me - those issues/limitations alone would drive me nuts.

Shame there's no 45 day trial there. Do you have an online return guarantee like in the EU? If so, you can still try them without much risk?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Admittedly I skip-read it, but in DAR part II he first seems to imply Phantom wins in all categories he mentions, then he says they are a draw with the LS50's, and then summarises that the Phantom wins?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Crib notes from the review, as I understand it:

The KEF LS50s are better at micro dynamics, treble extension, presence, warmth, and have a more intimate presentation (forward vs. depth).

The Devialet Silver Phantoms have better control, channel separation, imaging, focus, soundstage depth, bass (obviously given the 16Hz Phantom and 80Hz KEF specs.), and disappear better due to less box coloration.
I thoroughly agree with that review. I have compared my D120+LS50 combo with my white Phantoms, and couldnt get over the (relatively) boxy sound of the Kefs, which I'd never have noticed before.
However, my £1k XTZ floorstanders have now pulled ahead of the Phantoms since I had them SAMmed.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.