Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best way to put this together ?
Question 
Hello

I just ordered Devialet 200
In anticipation of the coming , I hope some of you can give me some tips on how to connect the system together in the best possible way .

Wireless or wired ?
What type of cables; Coax , optical etc?

Devialet 200 is going to be my main component connected to the TV , Apple TV, Sonos, Playstation4, MacBook

For music streaming I normally use Wimp HiFi (LOSSLESS AUDIO FLAC & ALAC FILES) wirelessly with AirPlay from my iPhone 5s or Ipad
Is it possible to stream music with Apple airplay on my 5S directly to Devialet 200 ?

I have created a block diagram of the system . See picture.

Hoping for some start up help , thanks Smile

Best regards Tommy
Norway
Hi Tommy,

Welcome to this forum and congratulations on the purchase of the great D200! Smile

The block diagram seems to be missing in your post.

As for WiFi vs. ethernet. I think this would depend on the quality of the WiFi signal you can create/have. Although I started with WiFi (before the upgrade of my D-Premier, which didn't have ethernet, to 250) and got it quite stable I myself prefer ethernet nowadays as it is 100% stable networkwise. I live in a town and can easily pickup around 40 WiFi hotspots around me, so you could call the 2.4gHz band to be quite crowded here. Also, I don't like the idea of having the high frequency transmitter active inside my Devialet although this of course is an audiophile neuroticism! Wink Some people think WiFi and ethernet are equal sound quality wise, some think it's better and some don't, best to try it yourself.

If possible I myself would always prefer coax above optical except in those cases where you would want to isolate a certain, possibly electrically noisy device (like a plasma TV) from the Devialet. If one could hear the differences, that is hard to predict. The optical inputs are also limited to 24 bit, 96kHz. Digital coax inputs can handle up to 24/192 and in the future possibly DSD as well.

Direct Airplay functionality is not supported by Devialet. You'd have to use a PC or Mac with some Airplay receiver software like Airserver or Airshare and connect that to the Devialet using either USB or AIR (WiFi or ethernet). I personally use this as well and use USB for this and ethernet AIR+JRiver media server for playback of CD rips.

BR,
Antoine
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hello

Thank you very much for the welcome and the quick reply Smile

I have internet withdrawal right by where D200 is going to be , so I think I need to run wired. Based upon your input and what I have read in other threads .

When it comes to connections , it is a pity that the D200 does not come with HDMI such as D-Premier
Without HDMI I must connect Apple TV and BlyRay to the TV and use the optical audio from the TV to the D200.

Then lose the ability to get DTS HD Master Audio from Bluray`s .

Have made another attempt at posting block diagram.

Thank you again ,

Best regards Tommy

Attached Files
.docx   Doc2 Bilde Blokk.docx (Size: 154.77 KB / Downloads: 15)
I have a Bluray player, set to output PCM and connected by SPDIF direct to the Devialet. The Bluray player is connected to a surround amp via HDMI, then HDMI to the TV. The surround amp is also connected to the Devialet via analogue phono leads. So I can have hi def stereo just using the Bluray and the Devialet, or surround DSD via HDMI, using the Devialet to power the front speakers.

I guess your options will depend on what your Bluray player will output via SPDIF or optical Toslink.
Hallo Tommy

It is not possible to use airplay directly to the Devialet. When I use airplay I run it over my Apple TV. It is then connected to the second opticial input. However, the sound quality is inferior to my PC running foobar and AIR, and by a fair margin. I don't know if you can get WIMP to play from a PC and use AIR into the Devialet....

And congrats on the amp, I also enjoys a 200, it is brilliant :-)

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark