Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert Vinyl to DSD or PCM
Hi Guys!

I am going to be getting my Devialet D200 in the mail on Thursday!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

Something I would love to do is record my vinyl and convert it into DSD or PCM.  Most of my vinyl is pretty darn mint and there aren't many pops so I think there should be next to no editing necessary.  Is the Devialet capable of doing this? If so, what is the best method.  Sorry if this has already been asked!

Thanks guys!

Stephen
Instructions here:

http://en.devialet.com/docs/bi-dir-tutorial.pdf
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Do you know a way to do DSD?
You could record to a program such as VinylStudio which supports both PCM and DSD ( DSF/DFF ) formats.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/home.aspx
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
+1 for Vinyl Studio (though I've only used it to output PCM).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Another happy Vinyl Studio user here. I am still looking for a good ADC for needle drops. Best results I've had so far is Aqvox' Phono 2CI mk2 balanced into Sound Devices USB Pre2. I used the balanced MC input. Too many cables and boxes imho.

I'd like to see something like the Aqvox with ADC and a direct USB output. This would not give DSD output though. A new unit from Korg, DS-DAC-10R USB, also works as ADC with both PCM and DSD. It seems to depend on AudioGate software from Korg so might not be directly compatible with Vinyl Studio.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I am also using Vinyl Studio with D200 as ADC, but so far I have only been able to covert to PCM. I don't think DSD works. Has anyone been successful in converting to DSD?
(01-Feb-2016, 20:44)Stephen_V Wrote: Hi Guys!

I am going to be getting my Devialet D200 in the mail on Thursday!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

Something I would love to do is record my vinyl and convert it into DSD or PCM.  Most of my vinyl is pretty darn mint and there aren't many pops so I think there should be next to no editing necessary.  Is the Devialet capable of doing this? If so, what is the best method.  Sorry if this has already been asked!

Thanks guys!

Stephen

What would be the purpose in wanting to encode the vinyl to DSD?  Is it for the sonic signature of DSD?  Otherwise PCM at 24/48 would be ample to capture all the frequencies from the LP.  I originally started recording at 24/192 until I analyzed the recordings in Adobe Audition and saw that there was a bunch on nothing above 22kHz!  Check your cart to see what the frequency response is stated to be...
Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.
I agree with Matthew. Plus, you should consider that the Devialet phono stage converts to 24/96 or 24/192 (selectable in the configurator). Re-converting this to DSD will not improve the SQ. Most people seem to set the phono stage to 24/96 as it is a little quieter. (less hiss)

Another point is vinyl sounds good in part due to the colorations that vinyl adds and even perhaps for some of the stuff vinyl takes away, but it in no way matches the dynamic range or frequency response that 24/96 is capable of.

24 bit will be as good as anything. 24bit FLAC is also a more or less universal format, compatible with most music players, DACs etc. As safe bet I would say.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Like to chip in on this old thread incase it's being used as a reference point. Imho ;

Depends how resolving your vinyl front end can be. In my experience good vinyl replay will still outperform 24/96 quite easily and the OP should certainly aim for better transfer rate than to CD red book standard. Not always the size of the sandwich, it's the filling that counts.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/24-96-vs-vinyl
Feickert Blackbird, AO pu7, Benz ebony L, Graham Phantom, Koetsu Rosewood sig', Tom Evans SRX, Apple MacAir, D Premier. Kef blades.