Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert Vinyl to DSD or PCM
How precisely will it "outperform" 24/96? It cannot match the dynamic range, frequency response, speed stability, relative lack of distortion or bass performance of pcm. You may prefer vinyl, as I sometimes do, but that is a purely a subjective matter. Objectively vinyl doesn't come close.

If you are listening to vinyl through your Devialet then you are listening to pcm. The fact that those vinyl distortions, which many of us find so pleasant, are fully realised is a testament to the transparency of the Dev's ADC and RIAA processing. If you capture the 24/96 output from the Dev, having followed their instructions, you will have a perfect facsimile of what the amp is playing (although, frankly 16/48 is enough). Play it back as many times as you want - it won't wear out.
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
I completely agree with runforfree69: a top-turntable with 2016 technology in it (magnetic bearing, 100dB S/R etc etc like Clearaudio's top models) easily outperformes every digital sound. Why? Quit simple: I have the age from the other century and can read that young humans are coming from the digital century without any knowledge anymore about human ears and sound......

I can write a book about this subject (althought I am a financial auditor), but the main reason is this: the human ear is not equally sensitive on all kind of distortions. Digital distortions wich occur very easily in the digital domain like time faults and intermodulation (low frequencies are influencing the highs and vice versa) distortion are easily heard at the 0,00001% level and sound "harsh", while harmonic distortions can not be noticed at 2% at all or sound "good". My first CD player was the Philips CD100 in 1982 at 2.000 Dutch guilders at that time. A huge amount of money and in fact terrible sounding:
1. But really almost knowbody (except myself) owned already a turntable above that price-tag
2. The CD player was introduced as a solution for almost everything (better sound, klick-free etc etc) and was a very good Price, Place, Promotion and Product solution for the industry that day
3. People were prepared to pay 2k for new digital technology in stead of investing in old analogue.
But better: no way. And still nothing changed: a good designed and built turntable easily outperformes digital. Remember that in studio's digital equipment takes sometimes millions of € (including the rebuilding of the power supply; 2x115=230V) before the record is made.

It's nice to see that discussions from 1981 and 1982 are exactly the same as in that times. And as then; the industry has it's own interests. And of course digital is still moving forward; 40 bits, 384k etc. Good digital is much much cheaper than good analoque. But at this moment the best.....not yet. It looks like combining the analoque and digital technologies together gives the best results: like a magnetic bearing (like the Japanese floating train) in combination with a digital compensate on the speed errors in a turntable like the Clearaudio Master Reference turntable. I like my brand turntable very much because it is upgradable and in a better way then Devialet does (fixed pricing etc). Oke, my turntable was recent for 10 months (!!!) in the German factory to upgrade... And it's more expensive then a Devialet 440PRO at this moment and quess why I am doing this..... And of course I am a great fan of HD Tracks, but buying a second hand record for € 0,95 and really cannot hear that a record is playing on a Stax headphone is awesome. Bu that takes some time and almost now dealer is capable of doing is anymore. Like combing top-turntable with beamer views....Another story.
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

So I mean this:

Distortions in the digital domain are irritating and easily heared by the human ear, while the ear is unsensitive to harmonic distortion which is typical produced by analoque equipment. So it is not only nice or nicer, but more something like irritating or more irritating. But good digital is always the cheapest way to go; not the best.

That said; the Devialet amplifiers are sensational. Curious when there will be no better amplifier at all.....? Close already. And this will happen with digital sound also. Picture: waiting for the Oppo 4k in december...... Sound: studios...?
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

Oh dear!
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
I will try Vinyl studio. I understand it is just a recorder. Next is Audacity to dehiss maybe ? or another one ?

Sure the DSD is a bad idea guys. Less is more. If the original file was not recorded in DSD it is useless
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
I bought it. Nice soft

I just DECLICK and NORMALISE the files in CLEANUP AUDIO section. What about your settings ?

I record the vinyl in 96/24 mode
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -