Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focal Sopra No.2
(23-Feb-2016, 21:06)Dr Tone Wrote: 804D3s got dropped off a couple hours ago.  I went back to work, but will be listening all evening.

Quick impressions:  Soundstage is positioned higher,  center image is quite a bit fuller maybe not as detailed but I think that's something I'll have to work out with toe-in and placement tonight.  Bottom end is there but it seems to be better controlled than the bigger sized Focals, I think the Focals overpowered the room a bit when going deep.  The 804D3s are not as aggressive as the Focals that's for sure, more relaxed.

It will be a fun week or so...

What size is your listening room?
(24-Feb-2016, 02:34)samurai7595 Wrote:
(23-Feb-2016, 21:06)Dr Tone Wrote: 804D3s got dropped off a couple hours ago.  I went back to work, but will be listening all evening.

Quick impressions:  Soundstage is positioned higher,  center image is quite a bit fuller maybe not as detailed but I think that's something I'll have to work out with toe-in and placement tonight.  Bottom end is there but it seems to be better controlled than the bigger sized Focals, I think the Focals overpowered the room a bit when going deep.  The 804D3s are not as aggressive as the Focals that's for sure, more relaxed.

It will be a fun week or so...

What size is your listening room?

12x40 they are set up 1/3 of the way on the long wall.  Zero sound proofing or traps.  Kitchen on one long end and fireplace and patio doors on the other, an L on that same end into a den.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Perhaps you could start a new thread about the B&W so this dont get mixed up with the Focals, easier for people to find it then.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(24-Feb-2016, 06:42)octaviars Wrote: Perhaps you could start a new thread about the B&W so this dont get mixed up with the Focals, easier for people to find it then.

Sorry, I'll keep the discussion out of your thread.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(24-Feb-2016, 13:28)Dr Tone Wrote:
(24-Feb-2016, 06:42)octaviars Wrote: Perhaps you could start a new thread about the B&W so this dont get mixed up with the Focals, easier for people to find it then.

Sorry, I'll keep the discussion out of your thread.

No hard feelings I hope?

Easier to just have Sopra hear and we can talk about B&W in another thread.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

No speaker is perfect and considering the amount of DSPing happening in the Devialet a little treble cut at 7500k or little lower won't hurt. .5 - 1.0db would be all you need.

Of course if we knew the slope of the tone controls in devialet, it would help a guy get pretty exact in where to cut using the following graphs.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.p...Itemid=153

The Sopra N2 is flatter than my 1028BEs in that same range.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/fo...CXfdVFW.97

PS) 804D3s will be going back to the dealer. Need the infamous forward Focal attack of the instruments that seems more natural to me having played in bands for years.

My dealer is going to get in Devialets so I can listen to the Sopras with either a 200 or perhaps a 400.
Heard the Sopras at a fair in Stockholm and they sounded really good so my eceptations are high.

Second system

looks like I made a deal on a trade in pair of Sopra2s Gloss Black approx 9 months old.

I had been talking to a dealer, waiting for him to get another demo pair in stock so I could go and audition them.

Well he called me on Thursday, to let me know that one of his clients, was upgrading his Sopra2s that he had sold him
last year. (he's trading upto Dynaudio Confidence C4 Platinum) and he happens to live in Ottawa. The dealer put me in touch with him.
So I went over there to take a listen and I liked what I heard. Fast, Dynamic, Clear, Transparent with no bass boom.
I did not find them bright. (I took my own Auditorium 23 speaker cable) 

After spending an hour listing to them, I made a deal with the dealer. The Dynaudio will not be in until around the 19th March
so thats when I pick them up.

So lets see what happens when I get them home, worst is I sell them.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Congrats!

(27-Feb-2016, 23:33)BrianT Wrote: looks like I made a deal on a trade in pair of Sopra2s Gloss Black approx 9 months old.

I had been talking to a dealer, waiting for him to get another demo pair in stock so I could go and audition them.

Well he called me on Thursday, to let me know that one of his clients, was upgrading his Sopra2s that he had sold him
last year. (he's trading upto Dynaudio Confidence C4 Platinum) and he happens to live in Ottawa. The dealer put me in touch with him.
So I went over there to take a listen and I liked what I heard. Fast, Dynamic, Clear, Transparent with no bass boom.
I did not find them bright. (I took my own Auditorium 23 speaker cable) 

After spending an hour listing to them, I made a deal with the dealer. The Dynaudio will not be in until around the 19th March
so thats when I pick them up.

So lets see what happens when I get them home, worst is I sell them.

Brian

Congratulation to your buy.

I just sold my Electra 1038 and Sopra 2 is high on my list of new speakers.

Second system