Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mikeeo's system
(29-Oct-2014, 09:53)Kunter Wrote:
(29-Oct-2014, 02:27)Mikeeo Wrote: Kunter,

Did you try the Vibrapod cones as well and are there advantages to be had from using either of the pods?

/Mike

I did in the past and too long ago now to remember...

I use vibrapods when I visit my dealer and would like to listen to some new gear with Devialet. If Devialet is on a hard floor, I don't like the signature so I simply throw in the vibrapods...

In my setup, I have a Finite Elemente Master rack with vibration sucking resonators, and recently added Stabilian feet with a good effect.

I would try Vibrapod first, or even the package foam (which is free) to see if you like the effect.

Cheers.

Back from 10 days of traveling and Vibrapods are here. I slid them under the Devs (just the pod at the moment). Can't really tell if the pods did something or it is my believes in your words but some 'calming' down they did. But as I still probably cook in the dedicated mains, Petit Coronas, digital cables, much could be a single contributor to the increase in fidelity as time goes.

Still have to try the vibrapod cones with or without the pods.

Just had a religious moment listening to For you with Tracy Chapman, never heard this piece so organic and free floating and there. I am still goose bumping!

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(06-Nov-2014, 14:36)Mikeeo Wrote:

Did you try the Vibrapod cones as well and are there advantages to be had from using either of the pods?

/Mike

I use vibrapods when I visit my dealer and would like to listen to some new gear with Devialet. If Devialet is on a hard floor, I don't like the signature so I simply throw in the vibrapods...

In my setup, I have a Finite Elemente Master rack with vibration sucking resonators, and recently added Stabilian feet with a good effect.

I would try Vibrapod first, or even the package foam (which is free) to see if you like the effect.

Cheers.

Back from 10 days of traveling and Vibrapods are here. I slid them under the Devs (just the pod at the moment). Can't really tell if the pods did something or it is my believes in your words but some 'calming' down they did. But as I still probably cook in the dedicated mains, Petit Coronas, digital cables, much could be a single contributor to the increase in fidelity as time goes.

Just had a religious moment listening to For you with Tracy Chapman, never heard this piece so organic and free floating and there. I am still goose bumping!

/Mike

Hi,

For info. I have my D400 in "stack", with the Companion on bottom and Master on top. I use the pods beneath the Companion Unit and 3 cones between the Master and Companion. I found that this had a number of very +ve benefits both in terms of SQ and controlling the temp of the individual units. The transparency improved, bass was more extended and music became more relaxing to listen to. Difficult to describe and put into words, but overall listening pleasure was enhanced at a relatively low cost. Separating the 2 units also gives room for better airflow between them.

I am now into the process of looking at digital cables to replace the stock Crystal cable supplied with the D400!

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(06-Nov-2014, 15:00)brit Wrote:

/Mike

Cheers.

/Mike

Hi,

For info. I have my D400 in "stack", with the Companion on bottom and Master on top. I use the pods beneath the Companion Unit and 3 cones between the Master and Companion. I found that this had a number of very +ve benefits both in terms of SQ and controlling the temp of the individual units. The transparency improved, bass was more extended and music became more relaxing to listen to. Difficult to describe and put into words, but overall listening pleasure was enhanced at a relatively low cost. Separating the 2 units also gives room for better airflow between them.

I am now into the process of looking at digital cables to replace the stock Crystal cable supplied with the D400!

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes there is something but as I said many things are newly introduced in my system...
I also dressed my PSU's (Streamer and Turntable) with pods, nice as there I heard some calming down (upper freq) but mostly lower noise floor but with some better definition.
I would def recommend you to have them side by side, it made big diff for me.
For me it was a no brainer to change the Crystal cable to something else. See tests/reviews on this forum as well as comments about this.

Cheers/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(06-Nov-2014, 15:23)Mikeeo Wrote:
(06-Nov-2014, 15:00)brit Wrote:

/Mike

Cheers.

/Mike

Hi,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes there is something but as I said many things are newly introduced in my system...
I also dressed my PSU's (Streamer and Turntable) with pods, nice as there I heard some calming down (upper freq) but mostly lower noise floor but with some better definition.
I would def recommend you to have them side by side, it made big diff for me.
For me it was a no brainer to change the Crystal cable to something else. See tests/reviews on this forum as well as comments about this.

Cheers/Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this. Difficult for me to have Units side by side because of where I have them currently located!

Yes, have been following reviews on this forum with interest - seems that stock Crystal cable is not a popular choice!

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(06-Nov-2014, 15:31)brit Wrote: ... seems that stock Crystal cable is not a popular choice!

David

Maybe not on this forum but I would guess that there are hundreds of customers with 400s and 800s using the Crystal cable and not worrying about it Tongue
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(06-Nov-2014, 17:04)PhilP Wrote:
(06-Nov-2014, 15:31)brit Wrote: ... seems that stock Crystal cable is not a popular choice!

David

Maybe not on this forum but I would guess that there are hundreds of customers with 400s and 800s using the Crystal cable and not worrying about it Tongue

You are probably right there Confused! My comment was certainly in relation to views gleaned from this Forum.

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
(06-Nov-2014, 17:50)brit Wrote:

David

You are probably right there Confused! My comment was certainly in relation to views gleaned from this Forum.

David

David,

as a fellow Wilson Benesch customer I wondered how do you like your ACT 1s and how well do you think they work with Devialet? I was really attracted by the tight, clear, dynamic sound that I get from my Discoveries + I didn't want too much bass as I'm using them in my study (about 4.5m x 3.5m). I just have a niggling doubt that the somewhat 'lean' sound of the speakers combined with the clean, neutral sound of the Devialet means I'm missing out on some 'tonal richness'.

When I was first considering the Devialet (May 2014), I contacted both D & WB about SAM. Both were extremely positive about each other's products but still no sign of SAM. However, I think WB speakers may fall into the category of those who don't benefit much from SAM anyway, so maybe we're not missing much ?

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(06-Nov-2014, 18:20)PhilP Wrote:
(06-Nov-2014, 17:50)brit Wrote:

David

David

David,

as a fellow Wilson Benesch customer I wondered how do you like your ACT 1s and how well do you think they work with Devialet? I was really attracted by the tight, clear, dynamic sound that I get from my Discoveries + I didn't want too much bass as I'm using them in my study (about 4.5m x 3.5m). I just have a niggling doubt that the somewhat 'lean' sound of the speakers combined with the clean, neutral sound of the Devialet means I'm missing out on some 'tonal richness'.

When I was first considering the Devialet (May 2014), I contacted both D & WB about SAM. Both were extremely positive about each other's products but still no sign of SAM. However, I think WB speakers may fall into the category of those who don't benefit much from SAM anyway, so maybe we're not missing much ?

Philip

Hi Philip,

I like the ACT1 very much. It is very detailed, but with a very smooth presentation. You could not, IMO, call the ACT1 'lean' it has, in our room certainly, tonal richness - maybe because it is in our Living Room (6m x 5m), which has a fairly large Suite and is carpeted and not given to 'ringing', so no treble emphasis. Bass is not the deepest, but is very accurate, certainly not 'booming'. The Devialet suites it very well, though the D400 (the D800 would be better perhaps but at a cost beyond me!) was a better choice for me, again IMO, because it gives total control over the speaker - I tried the 200, but it did not give the same level of control. Although the Spec of the ACT1 looks like a 'benign' load, it is quite difficult to drive, so the extra 'oomph' of the 400 is a god send! The big plus of the ACT1 to me is, of course, that it has a high WAF, being so beautifully built, so fits in quite well with our decor, and so is accepted by my long suffering wife!

Re your point on SAM, I raised this point with Thierry, from Devialet, and he did say that the ACT1 was not an easy speaker to SAM given its internal bracing - he also was of the opinion that the bass of the WB was already so well controlled that SAM would not have as profound effect as on some other speakers! He did not, however, rule it out!

David
or, as alternative, 

UK

/Mike

Cheers.

/Mike

Glad you are enjoying the pods... "Calming down" is what I would use to describe the effect as well...

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(08-Nov-2014, 17:24)Kunter Wrote:

/Mike

Cheers.

/Mike

Glad you are enjoying the pods... "Calming down" is what I would use to describe the effect as well...

Cheers.

Calming down indeed without killing PRAT (I am an old Naim devotee).

Natural flowing music into my living room...

Nat King Cole and Mona Lisa on vinyl yesterday almost wet my pants...

These Devs are fantastic but if you pamper them accordingly you will be rewarded so much more...

/Mike