Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers
I am 100% agreed in the need for Roon, but this can be achieved either through RAAT or just fixing AIR!
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
Well I bought the Dev 200 on the then promised Dialog & Spark being due 'soon' (Spring 2015), which would have very nearly been a single box system. Ideal. Nearly one year later, it is still not announced, only rumoured. Too late. AIR could have been the next substitute, yet that is not 100% reliable even on ethernet with DSD and Hi-Res files. Too late again. Sorry, but not good enough from Devialet.

Now I don't even want those 'updates', I love Roon and I would love an easier control over the 200, i.e. a fully functioning iOS app. Not much to ask given the investment made. If Dialog and Spark become Expert compatible, I won't be buying one. As I said, too late Devialet.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(12-Feb-2016, 13:55)Chris Marshall Wrote: I am 100% agreed in the need for Roon, but this can be achieved either through RAAT or just fixing AIR!

Let them fix AIR, that will please a lot of people. But please give Roon RAAT as an additional option.

It's not like they have to pay a license for it, Roon want it on high end equipment, people then decide if they want to pay Roon subs. Simple.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Roon -> AIR -> Devialet 200 works for me and sounds great.   Of course, AIR is fragile and a pain in the ass to deal with but I can now keep it working on my Windows 10 server.   If they offered a RAAT implementation on the Expert, I would be ecstatic but I'm not holding my breath on that.   

If Devialet does not improve AIR in the next few months, I will likely buy some RoonReady device like the SonicOrbiter SE or uRendu once released to go in front of my Devialet. Hopefully it will sound as good as AIR does (when it's working).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I see that the UPnP/DLNA or if we're lucky OpenHome support is way more important at this moment than any commercial software specific protocol. But that is just me of course Smile The reason I think so is simply that it is an industry standard and you can find (free) control point software on almost any imaginable platform already. So you could have a streaming system that is usable with anyone owning a smart device as opposed to a streaming service available for those that have a Windows PC or a Mac and choose to leave their computers running 24/7 and pay $119 a year for this luxury.

Also from what I hear, Roon will (soon?) support streaming to Linn streamers, which would mean OpenHome support, which is an extension to DLNA/UPnP. So it would work with Devialet with UPnP-support directly or with a very trivial change.

Anyway, UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome support would make Devialet the one box solution I always hoped it would be. I don't know about the storage space on the Devialet, but basically I could incorporate all the features of Dialog inside Devialet expert range. Now that would be something.
(12-Feb-2016, 18:22)jjo Wrote: I see that the UPnP/DLNA or if we're lucky OpenHome support is way more important at this moment than any commercial software specific protocol. But that is just me of course Smile The reason I think so is simply that it is an industry standard and you can find (free) control point software on almost any imaginable platform already. So you could have a streaming system that is usable with anyone owning a smart device as opposed to a streaming service available for those that have a Windows PC or a Mac and choose to leave their computers running 24/7 and pay $119 a year for this luxury.

Also from what I hear, Roon will (soon?) support streaming to Linn streamers, which would mean OpenHome support, which is an extension to DLNA/UPnP. So it would work with Devialet with UPnP-support directly or with a very trivial change.

Anyway, UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome support would make Devialet the one box solution I always hoped it would be. I don't know about the storage space on the Devialet, but basically I could incorporate all the features of Dialog inside Devialet expert range. Now that would be something.

Agree.  Devialet as a one box solution with the further reduction in noise implied by fewer gates/swiitches/power supplies, etc...in the chain.  Am somewhat confused by the almost universal chorus of praise for Roon.  My Aries recently had a fireware update which allows it to be a Roon endpoint but Roon still demands a computer remain in the system as a server.  In my case my music library is on a USB drive directly attached to the Aries and the Aries control by an iPad.  To enjoy what is undoubtedly the great user interface of Roon the music selection would be obligated to travel to the Macbook hosting the Roon server and than back to the Aries...a two way trip and in my case wireless.  Always assumed we were all trying to get PC/laptops out of discreet music systems and not adding control software that made them more necessary.
Perhaps I am missing something...not the most savvy computer guy but passably capable.
(13-Feb-2016, 01:30)Wdw Wrote:
(12-Feb-2016, 18:22)jjo Wrote: I see that the UPnP/DLNA or if we're lucky OpenHome support is way more important at this moment than any commercial software specific protocol. But that is just me of course Smile The reason I think so is simply that it is an industry standard and you can find (free) control point software on almost any imaginable platform already. So you could have a streaming system that is usable with anyone owning a smart device as opposed to a streaming service available for those that have a Windows PC or a Mac and choose to leave their computers running 24/7 and pay $119 a year for this luxury.

Agree.  Devialet as a one box solution with the further reduction in noise implied by fewer gates/swiitches/power supplies, etc...in the chain.  Am somewhat confused by the almost universal chorus of praise for Roon.  My Aries recently had a fireware update which allows it to be a Roon endpoint but Roon still demands a computer remain in the system as a server.  In my case my music library is on a USB drive directly attached to the Aries and the Aries control by an iPad.  To enjoy what is undoubtedly the great user interface of Roon the music selection would be obligated to travel to the Macbook hosting the Roon server and than back to the Aries...a two way trip and in my case wireless.  Always assumed we were all trying to get PC/laptops out of discreet music systems and not adding control software that made them more necessary.
Perhaps I am missing something...not the most savvy computer guy but passably capable.

Plug the USB drive into the computer running Roon and then it's one way to the Aries.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(13-Feb-2016, 03:02)Dr Tone Wrote:

Plug the USB drive into the computer running Roon and then it's one way to the Aries.

Naturally but would still have a laptop and a wireless stream in the chain for what is, essentually, just a software window into my music library...no sonic uptick, just very zoomy screens...I don't doubt it's interest and fascination but it is just metadata...just like the current MQA hysteria..no one has heard it but it appears no one is going to consider a new DAC til it has MQA certification

Hi

I think most of us with Devialet have a pc or Mac somewhere in the network as we intended to use AIR.

The beauty of RAAT or AIR is the computer doesn't need to be located anywhere near the amplifier, wired Ethernet or home plugs are both pretty reliable so the box count is the same as upnp (nas) or your Streamer but can be located anywhere.

A tiny low power PC (nuc or Mac mini) does a great job (assuming AIR works for you) and just runs without any significant maintenance.

I was one of the people originally requesting UPNP but having now used JRiver/ Jremote and then moved on to ROON I now find the UPNP solutions basic by comparison.

Devialet is in many ways the most sophisticated amplifier available, it's great that we now have the opportunity to use it with a similarly sophisticated piece of software to choose and control our music.

Of course, if the Aries control app is good then I could easily understand why you wouldn't feel the need to change.

The main reason for people requesting ROON compatibility is there are a lot of users who have had such a bad time with AIR that they think it's the only way to get a reliable network protocol. My AIR experience is better but still not 100%, hence why I also have a Melco. The quality of the Melco is very similar to AIR so I'm waiting for any of the following, AIR to become 100% reliable, Devialet to implement RAAT or Melco to implement RAAT.

Let's hope that Devialet have recognised their weaknesses in software development and can come up with a good balance between adding new features and making those already delivered work reliably.

Cheers

Chris
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
Speaking as someone who used to write UPnP control software I use Roon. You, we can talk about who controls the master clock & the path the audio travel but put simply, the Roon user experience it head and shoulders better than what can be offered by UPnP and the like,

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK