Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audiophile Optimizer - jPlay - Fidelizer What differences/benefits on each other?
Hi folks,

normaly I was streaming with foobar using our own usb-cable to the D200/Manger P1 and was very happy with the result. But then I got interested in aditional software on purifying the signalpath. Just out of curiosity I installed jPlay with no serious expectations.
But...I nearly couldn't believe what this small change in software did to the performance of my system. I didn't expect THIS increase in transparency/3D-mapping, this further sweetness in sound that I already heard with my D. I then installed Fidelizer and beyond my believe the blackness and calm of presentation increases even more.
Well I did believe the softwares will do "someting" but sure was not await of these improvements.

Can anyone tell me his experiences with the three known to me softwares: AO, jPlay, Fidelizer?

Does any of the three get obsolete when using the other?

What is your recognition of improvements installing one after the other?

Is there any other software having such big impact on soundquality?

For me in the first place all depends on improving the SQ. Anything else seconds. But to be honest it has to be useful to some degree. No 30 minutes preparation before listening if you know what I mean. The installation of the trial of fidelizer on every reboot is nearly enough to wait on my rather old W7 laptop though it's got ssd.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
JPlay is, in it's basis primarily a playback engine and nowadays a uPNP/OH streamer as well. It does some system optimizations like increasing the timer resolution of Windows but Audiophile Optimizer does much much more in optimizing the operating system.

Fidelizer also has overlapping functionality with AO but does much less than AO. However it also does some things AO doesn't do, like changing process priorities and process CPU core affinity (it moves all non music essential processes to a single "dirty" CPU core, lowers their priority and dedicates the remaining cores to the music playback related.

All the details can be found on the websites of their developers. IMO all three together create additional synergy. The one I could easiest "live without" would be Fidelizer, BUT I have installed it (the Pro version) after AO so have never been able to see what it does "on it's own". I do think that many people would/do feel the same though.

Windows Server 2012 R2 is expensive and currently required for AO but version 2 of AO supports Windows 10 as well. It's currently in beta. Phil, the author of the AO software, thinks a consumer OS will never outperform the server edition but there have been good reports of it thus far. The really interesting comparison though will be the new Server 2016 when it's released vs. Windows 10, both with AO of course.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
to see what jplay allone can do you should set it to hibernate mode and use jplay mini as frontend. It is even possible to user hibernate mode on a single PC and still be able to use Konski as remote. This gives a much better SQ than foobar or jriver with jplay.
@Antoine
Ok, thanks. Now I know what to do next and that I have not wasted my money.

Does the WS2012 R2 need a special CPU e.g. Server-CPU?
I saw some WS2012-licences quoting they need some special Dell a.o. Systems to be installed on.
Can I install it on a simple notebook that's running ok with W7?

@Vivialet
Unhappily the hibernate-mode does not function under W7 if I know it right.

Does it function under WS2012?

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin