Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
setting up sub via low level input and setting frequency crossover
My subwoofer is a BK xxLS400.
Please advise the best way to set the subwoofer up via low level using
a digital out on the Devialet. I want to send all frequencies at 40Hz to the subwoofer and above 40Hz to my speakers (Aurum Cantus Leisure 2SE).
Thanks.
Ashfield
It's not possible to set crossovers for digital outputs on the Devialet. You can only use one or two analog output(s). One for mono and two for stereo.

You can easily set this up with Devialets Configurator (in advanced mode) for the two RCA/coax connectors displayed on the right side next to the AES/EBU (XLR) connector. In your case a low pass filter @40Hz. You'd have to determine the best 'order' of the filter (steepness) yourself. This is easiest when you have/can lend (or invite someone over with) a measurement microphone and software like REW.

If you don't want your main speakers to produce <40Hz as well like you say you also have to configure a high pass filter under 'speakers'. You can set it for both cases in which your pre-out is active and not. I'd configure the high pass active only when the pre-out is active so you can easily switch back to front loudspeakers only using the bass button on your remote.

edit: configuring it in the Devialet is the easy part. The hard part is finding the best location in your room for the sub, finding the best crossover frequency, best filter order, and finding the optimal phase settings on your sub. If you do this right your sub will blend in in such a way you "can't hear it", until you switch it off. Smile This is all almost impossible to explain in written text. So if you doubt you can do this and want the best results it is best you invite someone over who has great experience in these matters.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Antoine
Thanks for the advice.
I will attempt over the weekend and revert back on my attempt!!
Regards,

Ashfield
Antoine

Thanks for your easy to follow instructions which has resulted in the subwoofer blending in seamlessly into the music without hearing the sub itself.
As the speakers are no longer dealing with frequencies below 55 Hz and introducing the fact that my ceiling is 14 feet high, the treble notes are now noticeably too high.
Please advise the best possible solution to reduce the glare of the treble notes- is this achievable via the tone controls or is there another way to reduce the shrill of the treble?
Any advice is most welcome.
Please review my current settings detailed below.

Thanks.

Ashfield

My current settings are:-

Sub on the devialet configurator
Pre amplified output (Mono)
Low pass 55 Hz
Crossover order 2

Speakers
Pre out on tab
High Pass 55 Hz
Crossover order 2

Pre out off tab
Full range
Crossover order 2

Phase on back of subwoofer 180

Filter switched off on back of subwoofer
I think your balance has shifted a little and thus notice the higher frequencies more. I don't think it's directly because the Devialet no longer has to amplify the lowest frequencies but rather think that either you have set the crossover frequencies too high or too low or there are phase issues in which the sub and main loudspeakers cancel each other out at certain frequencies. You could attack this issue using the tone controls but doing this you won't solve the problem at it's cause.

First I would use a program like REW to measure both the output from the loudspeakers, then sub only and then both to see what happens exactly to the output (where are frequencies summed and where are they cancelled out, is the sub outputting at a high enough level compared to the main loudspeakers etc.) and if things can be improved to let the sub blend in a more optimal way.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
for me I got the best result when operating the main speakers in full range and also connect the sub via stereo pre-out fullrange. I'm using the crossover of the sub with a setting that fits my speakers, which is 30hz.
For me it was the other way around. I find you can't really give general recommendations regarding crossover settings as the best settings depend heavily on the used sub, main loudspeakers and especially speaker/sub placement and room interactions.

The Netherlands
Angel I don't believe this is true as i have configured the the sub digital out on my 800 at a lowpass crossover of 80?

(02-Sep-2014, 23:58)Antoine Wrote: It's not possible to set crossovers for digital outputs on the Devialet. You can only use one or two analog output(s). One for mono and two for stereo.

You can easily set this up with Devialets Configurator (in advanced mode) for the two RCA/coax connectors displayed on the right side next to the AES/EBU (XLR) connector. In your case a low pass filter @40Hz. You'd have to determine the best 'order' of the filter (steepness) yourself. This is easiest when you have/can lend (or invite someone over with) a measurement microphone and software like REW.

If you don't want your main speakers to produce <40Hz as well like you say you also have to configure a high pass filter under 'speakers'. You can set it for both cases in which your pre-out is active and not. I'd configure the high pass active only when the pre-out is active so you can easily switch back to front loudspeakers only using the bass button on your remote.

edit: configuring it in the Devialet is the easy part. The hard part is finding the best location in your room for the sub, finding the best crossover frequency, best filter order, and finding the optimal phase settings on your sub. If you do this right your sub will blend in in such a way you "can't hear it", until you switch it off. Smile This is all almost impossible to explain in written text. So if you doubt you can do this and want the best results it is best you invite someone over who has great experience in these matters.
Devialet Expert Pro 1000, Mac Mini, Pure Music, Berkeley Alpha USB to Berkeley Ref DAC,  Aurender n100h, Squeezebox Touch Level Two, Magnepalnar 20.7's,  Chord Signature speaker cables, Synergistic Telsa Digital and USB cables
(06-Feb-2015, 09:59)Murforce Wrote: Angel I don't believe this is true as i have configured the the sub digital out on my 800 at a lowpass crossover of 80?  

(02-Sep-2014, 23:58)Antoine Wrote: It's not possible to set crossovers for digital outputs on the Devialet. You can only use one or two analog output(s). One for mono and two for stereo.

I think Antoine is right: surely the output to your sub is analogue, not digital?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I have found this guy to be very helpful.  I have spoke to him once as he now works for JL Audio technical and I have two Fantom F-112s.  He was very helpful and full of information.  He also has a disc to buy to help set up your system.  There may be better ways now as I have never used the computer software out there.  It is a good read at the least.

http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

He says to put sub or subs in mono but I think some music is now being mixed with stereo bass.  My subs are being used 80hz and down.  I am not sure about the difference using subs as part of a full range system as opposed to using them to just boost the very bottom end.  My speakers only play down to 80hz.
Pink Faun STREAMER 2.12 Control PC + Windows 10 + Roon >
Pink Faun STREAMER 2.12 Audio PC + Linux + HQ Player + Optimized for I2S + USB >
Lampizator Golden Gate DSD512 > Dartzeel NHB-108 Model One > TAD Evolution One

For Sale-Fibonnaci Technologies Vaya! Ribbon Transducers / For Sale-JL Audio F112