Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB input
Does anyone know if the USB input stays 'alive' in either of the sleep or low power state modes?
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
I don't know the state of the actual connection but only know my Melco as a USB-connected source still appears as a UPNP source if in low power state (i.e. display dimmed on Devialet but still showing volume) but does not appear if in sleep (display dimmed, showing '200'). Doesn't appear either in 'off' (power cable still connected but display off).
I think mine tallies with Rufus'.

Roon is able to re-establish connection after any state though, and just carries on playing. Is this an NAA thing (recognise from the Ron forum)?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Feb-2016, 11:38)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I think mine tallies with Rufus'.

Roon is able to re-establish connection after any state though, and just carries on playing.  Is this an NAA thing (recognise from the Ron forum)?

Yes, God bless 'em, Roon sends out commands to re-establish any USB connection, so to the user who has switched input on the Devialet, you will find that the USB input just works.

Same cannot be said for these Linux based slim devices. I thought at first it was just lazy coding of the HQP NAA, but it is seeming to point to the USB bus on the slim device, when that connection is lost, it's lost, you either have to reboot the device or restart the NAA service, or both. Something to do with the network to USB interface within the device.

I can understand if the Dev is switched off, or in deep sleep, and the USB connection goes dead. But when the Dev USB comes alive again, it initiates a new handshake to say here I am, but the NAA on the slim device has lost the connection and does not know (or want to know) how to answer. Or so it would appear. I have posted on various forums, asked the people behind HQP and Sonore through those forums and the answers so far are why it happens, but not any inkling of the situation changing.

Am I being finicky here, is it (un)acceptable to go through a whole boot or reboot sequence just to get USB on the Dev, coming out of sleep or switched input, to work with these slim devices?
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(24-Feb-2016, 14:51)AllenB Wrote: Am I being finicky here, is it (un)acceptable to go through a whole boot or reboot sequence just to get USB on the Dev, coming out of sleep or switched input, to work with these slim devices?

No more than me - it would be a deal-breaker for me too!

I'm sure i read someone was using a sose with another brand and with Roon mode it would re-establish after then powered the DAC off at the wall. Will see if i can find it maybe I was mistaken.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

My Cubox running Volumio (based on Debian) is the same and in that case it's because the device manager (udev - I think it's called) is disabled by default. I find it fairly hard to live with having to reboot it when the Devialet wakes up again so I enable it.
Have you got the USB INIT setting in the configurator on or off?

"ON (per default)
Always performs a bus negociation between the amp and the computer when the USB input is selected. Allows simple workaround for many power managed mode on computers and prevents rebooting the computer in case bad negociation occurs."

My Pi running volumino or rune works perfectly with this on.
(24-Feb-2016, 17:39)Soniclife Wrote: Have you got the USB INIT setting in the configurator on or off?

"ON (per default)
Always performs a bus negociation between the amp and the computer when the USB input is selected. Allows simple workaround for many power managed mode on computers and prevents rebooting the computer in case bad negociation occurs."

My Pi running volumino or rune works perfectly with this on.

Yes, USB INIT is on as per default. What do you have streaming to your Pi?
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(24-Feb-2016, 17:06)Rufus McDufus Wrote: My Cubox running Volumio (based on Debian) is the same and in that case it's because the device manager (udev - I think it's called) is disabled by default. I find it fairly hard to live with having to reboot it when the Devialet wakes up again so I enable it.

Well I am running a Pi2 at the moment using Debian Stretch. I will look into this udder setting. Thanks Rufus.
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(24-Feb-2016, 16:22)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(24-Feb-2016, 14:51)AllenB Wrote: Am I being finicky here, is it (un)acceptable to go through a whole boot or reboot sequence just to get USB on the Dev, coming out of sleep or switched input, to work with these slim devices?

No more than me - it would be a deal-breaker for me too!

I'm sure i read someone was using a sose with another brand and with Roon mode it would re-establish after then powered the DAC off at the wall. Will see if i can find it maybe I was mistaken.

No issues with Roon, I believe it issues commands to re-establish a USB connection if it has been down. I'm sorry, i can't believe in this day and age that a simple matter of switching to USB can trip these new-fangled slim devices over. They are meant to act as a headless, low power, without frills, fit and forget unit and they cannot monitor a connection on their USB bus???
TRNC (North Cyprus)