Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes I hate Windows
This morning I fired up my PC for some routine tasks.  It went into a blue screen Windows update mode, with a big "percentage clock", stating that the PC may need to restart multiple times.  I left it running, it took over an hour to complete what it was doing. 

Following the update the PC was running very very slowly, it had also changed my screensaver settings, and curiously, if I check Devialet AIR in the Windows sound card GUI (playback devices) it is now re-named "Hi-Fi cable input (Devialet AIR).

AIR has been faultless for me for a while, so nervous that something had gone horribly wrong I tried a few tunes, music ran ok for about two minutes, then was stop / starting very badly.  Not stuttering, but stopping for a while, then starting for a second or two, then stopping again.

I left the PC on whilst I went out for a couple of hours, trying AIR etc. now, all seams to be fine.  But why such an apparently huge update months after migrating to W10, why has AIR now got it's Hi-Fi cable tag?

Does anyone know what is going on?

For info, I have been running Windows 10 since about last June, it is a reasonably speedy quad core machine, and I have cable super duper fast broadband, which routinely runs at 140 to 160kbs.

I'm glad my car doesn't do things like this, I'm sure I'd wake up one morning and find I'd got the MS Square Wheels update or some such nonsense after it had been driving fine for months.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Oh dear. I hope my NUC/Win10 will not do this to me. I have it power off as my Le200 is sent for repair.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Do you find or hear any difference on sound after this latest update?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(04-Mar-2016, 12:25)Confused Wrote: This morning I fired up my PC for some routine tasks.  It went into a blue screen Windows update mode, with a big "percentage clock", stating that the PC may need to restart multiple times.  I left it running, it took over an hour to complete what it was doing. 

Following the update the PC was running very very slowly, it had also changed my screensaver settings, and curiously, if I check Devialet AIR in the Windows sound card GUI (playback devices) it is now re-named "Hi-Fi cable input (Devialet AIR).

AIR has been faultless for me for a while, so nervous that something had gone horribly wrong I tried a few tunes, music ran ok for about two minutes, then was stop / starting very badly.  Not stuttering, but stopping for a while, then starting for a second or two, then stopping again.

I left the PC on whilst I went out for a couple of hours, trying AIR etc. now, all seams to be fine.  But why such an apparently huge update months after migrating to W10, why has AIR now got it's Hi-Fi cable tag?

Does anyone know what is going on?

For info, I have been running Windows 10 since about last June, it is a reasonably speedy quad core machine, and I have cable super duper fast broadband, which routinely runs at 140 to 160kbs.

I'm glad my car doesn't do things like this, I'm sure I'd wake up one morning and find I'd got the MS Square Wheels update or some such nonsense after it had been driving fine for months.

Get that PC out of the music chain! Shy Shy Shy Shy
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(04-Mar-2016, 12:55)Womaz Wrote: Get that PC out of the music chain! Shy  Shy  Shy  Shy

Indeed.  Bill Gates and his little band of pixies must be an absolute godsend to the streaming industry.

That said, I'd still like to know why the hell my PC needed two hours of downtime this morning?  Do any of the IT wizards on here have any idea?

One other point I forget to mention, after the PC had done it's update it was in super slow mode, illustrated by the fact it was loading the desktop icons one by one, very slowly, so I'm guessing it was doing some serious update work in the background.  What was going on?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
You can check what updates it installed in the update history. Looks like perhaps you only now got the big Windows 10 November, threshold 2, update since you got the "big update percentage clock". This is in fact a complete new Windows installation, installing over the previous one and a 3GB update!

And yes, Windows 10 is horrible in the updates section. At least with the Pro version you have control over how and when it installs it's updates.

I'd never advise people to use their regular day to day PC's as music servers...use a dedicated one and strip it to the bone which includes disabling automatic updates. Of course people never listen, their loss! Wink Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I've tried stripping my Win10 but wasn't good at it. I have to revert back to original condition when the system failed to play music. Maybe you can share your experience on to strip a Win10 system to bare essentials and with Devialet AIR functionable.

Well if you knew how much work it is to do it (and to do it right), let alone write it all down in some sort of instruction you wouldn't ask me! Big Grin I've stopped doing it even for myself since I discovered the great Audiophile Optimizer software. The advantage of that piece of software besides the automated applying of the changes is that it can also quickly roll back most of it which allows you to revert to a more default operating system state (which is highly compatible to e.g. install software and drivers). When you're done it's just as easy to switch back again to an optimized state.

It's for Windows Server 2012 R2 only now but the new 2.0 version which also supports W10 is in beta now. 

http://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer 
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f28-hi...sponsored/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Yeah I'm watching out for AO2.0

I didn't read anything of the above. Just wanted to say I hate Windows too.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.