Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting SUB - High/Low Pass Filters not working.
I'm trying to connect a SUB.

I've set the Pre-Outs with Low Pass Filter at 100Hz

I've set the Speaker with High Pass Filter at 100Hz

I'm using a test tone CD. The Speakers are going well below 100Hz & the SUB is going above 100Hz, in fact they both appear to be getting Full range. The Filters don't appear to be working.

Both set at 2nd Order BTW, which is what they were already set at.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Have you perhaps set the filters for the Pre-Out OFF mode (rather than Pre-Out ON)?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Ian, I think you've nailed it! Only problem is I can't set the Preout ON.

I go into Speakers. Preout OFF is highlighted in Orange. I change it to Preout ON & hit OK. I go back in & it's gone back to Preout OFF......
It doesn't matter that the Configurator reverts to Pre-Out OFF when you exit the Speaker settings; think of Pre-Out ON and OFF as separate parts of the configuration, both of which can be set and stored independently. Both configurations are present on the SD card and loaded into the amplifier when it reads the card. When you use the remote to switch between pre-out on and off when the amp is running, you're switching between the two different sets of configuration.

This is really handy because you can set the speakers to full-range in the Pre-Out OFF tab, but high-pass filtered in the Pre-Out ON tab. Then turning the sub (pre-out) on and off does the right thing.

Hope that helps...
Warwickshire, UK
I forgot to say: whether the pre-out defaults to on or off is configured by Start-up mode in General Settings, and also individual settings for each input.
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks again Ian

I've done all that. Re-written the SD card. STILL pushing FULL range through both!

Could there be some software fault? My Filters just don't appear to be working.
(05-Mar-2016, 13:46)strummer Wrote: Thanks again Ian

I've done all that.  Re-written the SD card.   STILL pushing FULL range through both!

Could there be some software fault?    My Filters just don't appear to be working.

Hmm, seems a bit odd.  Are you sure it's reading your configuration properly?

By the way, not wanting to be funny, but how sure are you that the output is not being filtered?  How about setting up a high-pass filter on the mains with pre-out enabled, full-range with pre-out disabled, temporarily disconnect your sub, and then switch between sub-on and sub-off: you should be able to hear the filters cutting in and out.  If you want to make it more obvious, try raising the corner frequency and/or increasing the slope, just for testing.
Warwickshire, UK
Deja vu! Big Grin http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2691
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Indeed! I re-used my text expander snippets Smile
Warwickshire, UK
(05-Mar-2016, 14:59)thumb5 Wrote: Hmm, seems a bit odd.  Are you sure it's reading your configuration properly?

By the way, not wanting to be funny, but how sure are you that the output is not being filtered?  How about setting up a high-pass filter on the mains with pre-out enabled, full-range with pre-out disabled, temporarily disconnect your sub, and then switch between sub-on and sub-off: you should be able to hear the filters cutting in and out.  If you want to make it more obvious, try raising the corner frequency and/or increasing the slope, just for testing.

Thanks again Ian

Output is definitely not being filtered, because I'm using a Tone Burst CD (plays tone bursts at each frequency). Both main speakers & SUB are receiving the full range.

I've re-configured 5 times & each time the same result.

I just read that old thread & will read it over until I take it all in.

One comment about being able to set something for each input in General Settings interests me. I'll investigate that.

Thanks