Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
D200 Output power settings
I had the same question driving with my 400's the B&W 804... I was also thinking to 'overpower' them.... I did some test to reduce the maximum power output and did not sense any SQ differences, maybe the volume was a bit different (you need to turn a little more on the volume knob to get the same amount of db)... I guess when you use the maximum volume there is a difference...
(09-Mar-2016, 14:59)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm sort of confused by this feature too - I'd hoped that due to my relatively sensitive speakers, I could lower the max power, and get more useable scale on the volume control as well as (hopefully) limit the amount of digital reduction that was being used.  This would not only save power, but hopefully give a slightly better SQ, as even if its 40 bits or whatever for the attenuation, in theory using less attenuation should still be better?  But I couldnt tell any difference at any setting other than perhaps a slight change in volume range.

I definitely had to turn the volume up a little more to get the same level of output when I halfed the output power.  When I took it way down to 50 watts I felt the bass was maybe getting a little loose on me but that might have also been in my head.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Next saturday i will arrive home and will hook up my 200 for the first time to my horns. Will set the max output to 30 watts which is more than enough to drive my speakers to extreme high levels
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Next saturday i will arrive home and will hook up my 200 for the first time to my horns. Will set the max output to 30 watts which is more than enough to drive my speakers to extreme high levels
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
My understanding is that reducing the max output power would cause corresponding reduction of the "rail" voltage on the output devices. This voltage may have some minute effect on the sound. With dpm, the voltage is set automatically based on the current volume setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devailet 200, Lumin A1, Magico S5, Kimber ks6063, Rockport Capella, Benz Micro Ruby, Kimber ks1026
I am not sure I got this right. If let's say I reduce D200 to 100W would the volume be scaled to 100% at 100W i.e. I would be able to fine tune the volume or it would go to 50% and even though I turned the volume up it wouldn't make any difference?
(20-Mar-2016, 17:05)mirekti Wrote: I am not sure I got this right. If let's say I reduce D200 to 100W would the volume be scaled to 100% at 100W i.e. I would be able to fine tune the volume or it would go to 50% and even though I turned the volume up it wouldn't make any difference?

It scales.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

No, I don't think that's correct. According to Devialet it makes no difference until you reach the configured maximum power. So, assuming you don't reach that limit, at a given volume the output will be the same with or without a power limit configured.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I'm talking the volume control, it certainly scaled differently after I change my output power.