Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio speakers & SAM
(11-Jun-2016, 17:30)Dr Tone Wrote: Same revelation until I realized that the large % value was the real root of the problem for me.  I'm now happy with 20%.

When you turn it back on set a toggle button and try much lower %, <=30

I will most certainly give it a go. I must say that at the moment I am pleasantly surprised by how much better it seems to sound without SAM.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I found with my D400s that 100% was far too much, sounded much better around 30% for me as well. Of course depends on how loud one plays as well. At -5 on my system it sounds better with SAM turned off or very very low.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I Think it also depends a lot on your speakers: with full range (or close to) ones, SAM is just not that needed... In my case, with KEF LS50s, you simple wouldn't be able to hear music below a certain frequency simply because the speaker working normally wouldn't be "forced" to play it (at least safely...).

Cheers!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
GuillaumeB,

SAM still off?

You notice any change in temperature with SAM off? I assume they would run a littler cooler.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Some further observations with and without SAM and my Sabrinas:

With:
- Of course a little more bass extension
- Slightly warmer overall.
- Help the speakers disappear in the soundstage a little more.
- Vocal and instruments have a fuller rounder sound.
- Slightly laid back musical presentation.

Without:
- More dynamic overall, bass doesn't have as much reach but has more punch.
- More edge to the vocals and instruments. Maybe just a little brighter is a description.
- Music seems to have better PRAT. SAM seems to sound a little forced and congested in comparison.
- Amp runs a little cooler.

I think what works best is going to be a room by room thing and of course speaker type and size thing.

I'm fine with the bass extension of the Sabrinas without SAM. Edge on vocals and instruments is really recording dependent for me. But the PRAT without SAM is something I prefer for sure.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(10-Jul-2016, 03:48)Dr Tone Wrote: Some further observations with and without SAM and my Sabrinas:

With:

Without:
- More edge to the vocals and instruments.  Maybe just a little brighter is a description.
- Music seems to have better PRAT.  SAM seems to sound a little forced and congested in comparison.

I think what works best is going to be a room by room thing and of course speaker type and size thing.

I'm fine with the bass extension of the Sabrinas without SAM. Edge on vocals and instruments is really recording dependent for me.  But the PRAT without SAM is something I prefer for sure.
100% I prefer my Wilson Sasha's with Sam OFF so much more transparent, agree as above bass is more punchy, volume can go louder without bass getting out of control. Leading edge is much better. 

Sam is OFF and staying off !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(30-Oct-2016, 20:30)egg1dog Wrote:
(10-Jul-2016, 03:48)Dr Tone Wrote: Some further observations with and without SAM and my Sabrinas:

With:

Without:
- More edge to the vocals and instruments.  Maybe just a little brighter is a description.
- Music seems to have better PRAT.  SAM seems to sound a little forced and congested in comparison.

I'm fine with the bass extension of the Sabrinas without SAM. Edge on vocals and instruments is really recording dependent for me.  But the PRAT without SAM is something I prefer for sure.
100% I prefer my Wilson Sasha's with Sam OFF so much more transparent, agree as above bass is more punchy, volume can go louder without bass getting out of control. Leading edge is much better. 

You upgraded your speakers!  Big Grin

I have SAM on but only 5% now.  A good comprimse, IMO.

(30-Oct-2016, 21:20)Dr Tone Wrote:
(30-Oct-2016, 20:30)egg1dog Wrote:

With:

Without:

Yes couldn't resist. Now I'm thinking should I have stuck with Sophia's and upgraded my amps ??!!  Dodgy
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(30-Oct-2016, 23:46)egg1dog Wrote:
(30-Oct-2016, 21:20)Dr Tone Wrote:
(30-Oct-2016, 20:30)egg1dog Wrote: 100% I prefer my Wilson Sasha's with Sam OFF so much more transparent, agree as above bass is more punchy, volume can go louder without bass getting out of control. Leading edge is much better. 

Yes couldn't resist. Now I'm thinking should I have stuck with Sophia's and upgraded my amps ??!!  Dodgy

Not if it's the Sasha 2s you moved to.

Have you tried to have SAM on but set it to 0%? I think I have seen some say the phase control is activ at 0% but you dont get the boost in the bass. No idea if this is correct.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree