Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound changes when changing "Balance"
I recently updated my D120 to the latest 9.0.1 firmware and have found that when I activate the Balance and Tone Controls (by default, pressing the bottom-right button on the remote), the soundstage shrinks dramatically and the level drops by several dB. Once I exit the "Balance" setting, the sound goes back to normal. I can either long-press the bottom-right button to exit the Balance and Tone Controls entirely, or short-press that button and move on to "Bass", "Treble", "SAM %", and then the page with multiple settings (Mute, ICM, Phase, etc.).  The actual Balance setting doesn't seem to be causing the effect. The sound is different only when I have the Balance setting activated, and is restored to normal once I exit that setting.

This appears to only happen with USB.  The other inputs I use (Toslink and Phono) are unaffected.  I have not tried other inputs.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
Same here, but I didn't notice that it only changes the sound and level while on USB.
• Kuzma Stabi S turntable • Kuzma Stogi S arm • Benz Micro ACE H cartridge • PC with MusicBee / WASAPI source • Oyaide d+ NEO B-Class USB cable • Devialet 200 amplifier • Blue Jeans Ten speaker cable • GoldenEar Triton One •

Thanks! I've submitted a report to Devialet. Have you tried downgrading to a previous firmware?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
I seem to recall that activating the balance control puts the amplifier into mono, presumably to make it easier to adjust the balance. Maybe that explains what you're hearing?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
This is by design, it switches to mono by default when you adjust the balance. You can set it to stereo as well in the configurator.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Ah thank you. That makes sense!
(14-Mar-2016, 23:15)Antoine Wrote: This is by design, it switches to mono by default when you adjust the balance. You can set it to stereo as well in the configurator.

As above. And it's not new to firmware version 9. It's been there all along.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
And going into mono explains the perceived drop since some frequencies may cancel each other between the right and left when combined.

But since Balance is meant to be able to center the sound stage, going into mono makes it much more convenient and accurate.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Just found this thread - awesome!

It doesnt make sense to me for it to be in Mono - as when you are playing back it’s in Stereo?

I was trying to use a test track with “my voice should be at the far left of the soundstage with nothing coming from anywhere else”...... “my voice should be dead centre with no trace coming from left or right” ... and same for right channel 

But I just couldn’t get it to work, as in mono it will be playing that “left” and “right” voice out of both speakers even though the recording is designed to set it to come out of only one?

Anyway I’m really hoping it works later when I change balance to stereo in config later today so I can get this dead focussed from my way off centre listening sofa  Smile