Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for Turntable
Does anyone own a Bauer DPS 2? Could you describe its sound, please?
(16-Mar-2016, 12:49)Dimi Pap Wrote: Does anyone own a Bauer DPS 2? Could you describe its sound, please?

It hard to describe a turntable's sound since the "sound" would depend heavily on the cartridge being used...
(16-Mar-2016, 12:49)Dimi Pap Wrote: Does anyone own a Bauer DPS 2? Could you describe its sound, please?

Use it in last 12 month and use it now
Its beautiful - best dynamics and resolution in this price range. I also try many turntables - and Dps 2 is the clear winner
Sound is golographic and very sharp - and have a deep bass, etc.
Its have no traditional vinyl weaknesses )
I recommend it
Next choise - Basis 2500 signature and TW Acoustics Raven - but in more 3x-2x price
Use with Dps 2 Lyra cartridge and You have nirvana Smile
(16-Mar-2016, 17:45)kjj11 Wrote:

Its beautiful - best dynamics and resolution in this price range. I also try many turntables - and Dps 2 is the clear winner
I recommend it
Next choise - Basis 2500 signature and TW Acoustics Raven - but in more 3x-2x price

What model carthridge you used?Lyra Delos?
Have you listened any Clearaudio or VPI model?What's in your opinion?
Sorry, to many questions...
(16-Mar-2016, 16:37)samurai7595 Wrote:

It hard to describe a turntable's sound since the "sound" would depend heavily on the cartridge being used...

The last time I auditioned turntables I listened to them all using the same Ortofon Cadenza Black, even so, there were very obvious differences to be heard.  Don't underestimate the influence of the turntable  and arm!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Mar-2016, 20:29)Dimi Pap Wrote:
(16-Mar-2016, 17:45)kjj11 Wrote:

I recommend it

What model carthridge you used?Lyra Delos?

If you are considering a VPI turntable, make sure to play with one before you buy.

I owned a Scoutmaster for about 1 year but never liked the feeling of the wobbly unipivot tonearm. Although I could not hear any negative effects, I absolutely hated using the tonearm.

Now I own a Rega RP10 and love it. It came preinstalled & adjusted with the Apheta 2 and provides a true plug-n-play solution. But more importantly, it sounds amazing. Read the reviews & go listen to one.
(16-Mar-2016, 23:54)samurai7595 Wrote: If you are considering a VPI turntable, make sure to play with one before you buy.

I owned a Scoutmaster for about 1 year but never liked the feeling of the wobbly unipivot tonearm.  Although I could not hear any negative effects, I absolutely hated using the tonearm.

Now I own a Rega RP10 and love it.  It came preinstalled & adjusted with the Apheta 2 and provides a true plug-n-play solution.  But more importantly, it sounds amazing.  Read the reviews & go listen to one.

Good point.  The WB also has a unipivot and it definitely took a bit of getting used to (I had a lowly Rega Planar 3 before it).  Can still a bit "lively" if you're not careful - but also sounds great!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(16-Mar-2016, 20:29)Dimi Pap Wrote: What model carthridge you used?Lyra Delos?

Lyra Kleos (also try Delos)
Clearaudio and ProJect simple "no" in my opinion. Plastic sound
VPI is good, but not so good (great bass but high frequency is not so clear). But VPI's build quality may also the problem - I see one VPI turntable with metal shavings and chips in the bearing (in $10 000+ price turntable Smile)
Getting the TT grail is difficult, even more difficult then loudspeakers or a good amp...

I'm not a believer in cables except for the TT, so there are a lot of dependencies making a TT good: design, cartridge, arm, cable, direct / belt drive etc etc....

If you are new to the TT I suggest to go for a nice mid entry setup like a clear audio concept or VPI traveler including a cartridge as advertised. In this price range you can experiment on what you like before doing large investments....

The secondhand market on the Concept / Traveler (but there are more) is pretty good, so you would not loose too much learning money, or you could use it as a trade in.
(17-Mar-2016, 08:21)kjj11 Wrote:
(16-Mar-2016, 20:29)Dimi Pap Wrote: What model carthridge you used?Lyra Delos?

Lyra Kleos (also try Delos)
Clearaudio and ProJect simple "no" in my opinion. Plastic sound
VPI is good, but not so good (great bass but high frequency is not so clear). But VPI's build quality may also the problem - I see one VPI turntable with metal shavings and chips in the bearing (in $10 000+ price turntable Smile)

kjj11 - It's interesting that you don't like Pro-Ject's offerings whereas I found both the Pro-Ject Signature 10 & 12 the best of many at each price point.  (Which pro-Ject model(s) have you listened to?)  I think this demonstrates the big problem that the OP faces, you can get ideas and pointers from a forum like this, but to be sure you do have to listen for yourself, opinions vary, what works in one system might be terrible in another, and so on.  The OP has advised that he has limited options for auditioning, so I guess this makes a second hand purchase desirable, then if the eventual purchase does not suit he at least has the option to sell on without loosing large amounts of cash.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12