Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for Turntable
Thank you jjo.What kind of music is dsp compatible with? Is it ok for Jazz & Classical? Dsp 3 would be ideal but unfortunately it's too expensive for me...
(24-Mar-2016, 17:10)f1eng Wrote: IME price is a poor indicator of SQ, more an indicator of what item is in or out of fashion at any given moment. Sadly almost everything to do with "vinyl" has become very expensive, A Garrard 401 cost around £70 new.

Good luck and have fun.

£70 in the late 60's is roughly equivalent to the price of a Rega RP6 or Pro-Ject Xperience today.  Which is the better product by the standards of the day?  Subject to debate I guess!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Mar-2016, 18:23)Confused Wrote:
(24-Mar-2016, 17:10)f1eng Wrote: IME price is a poor indicator of SQ, more an indicator of what item is in or out of fashion at any given moment. Sadly almost everything to do with "vinyl" has become very expensive, A Garrard 401 cost around £70 new.

Good luck and have fun.

£70 in the late 60's is roughly equivalent to the price of a Rega RP6 or Pro-Ject Xperience today.  Which is the better product by the standards of the day?  Subject to debate I guess!

£70 when I was a Garrard is about £350 today according to inflation checker on't internet. Mind you it would need an arm and my SME 3009 II Improved was about £30, so a Garrard 401 with SME arm, which was close to state of the art then should be about £500 now. The Rega is about double that and far from SOTA IMHO.

People are paying far more than £350 for an old 401 nowadays.

Mind you when we checked competitors products, bought from dealers so not "tuned up" like review samples, we listened, measured and costed them. Linn were charging about £300 for the LP12 back then, fashion again since our production engineers felt it was cheaper to make than the 401 which is frankly obvious by inspection. OTOH there was no way we could have made a Technics SP10 (I bought the evaluation one of them from the scrap man, in bits, for £12) at any price at that time.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I believe NickB has a highly modified 401, they have certainly stood the test of time. You mention the fundamental differences between suspended and non-suspended designs Frank, due you have a view on the fundamental differences between high and low mass approaches to design?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Mar-2016, 20:39)Confused Wrote: I believe NickB has a highly modified 401, they have certainly stood the test of time.  You mention the fundamental differences between suspended and non-suspended designs Frank, due you have a view on the fundamental differences between high and low mass approaches to design?

As is often the case it is the implementation which is important, not whether it is high or low mass IME.

In the end record players are not accurate and tuning the colourations to one's own taste is what it is all about, so what I like in probably not relevant to others. Mind you my 4 are all very different and I like them all Smile
I only own units with some sort of isolation built in though.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Reading about 4 TT's has reminded me about a turntable I have. It was my brothers, and he gave it to me when he emigrated a few year ago. It's on a shelf in a spare room and I have never even tried using it. It's an old 'linear tracking' Technics device, although not one of the vertical ones they did. I might try it one day, although I suspect it will not be good....
(24-Mar-2016, 21:25)Confused Wrote: Reading about 4 TT's has reminded me about a turntable I have.  It was my brothers, and he gave it to me when he emigrated a few year ago.  It's on a shelf in a spare room and I have never even tried using it.  It's an old 'linear tracking' Technics device, although not one of the vertical ones they did.  I might try it one day, although I suspect it will not be good....

You may be surprised the SL10 and SL15 were excellent, though my SL 15 was always breaking down Sad
Oxfordshire

It's an SL-7. My brother is a music lover, but not one for spending much cash on hifi......
(24-Mar-2016, 22:18)Confused Wrote: It's an SL-7.  My brother is a music lover, but not one for spending much cash on hifi......

Probably still pretty good though may need some tlc. Parallel trackers are better than pivoted arms but much more temperamental.
Oxfordshire

(24-Mar-2016, 22:33)f1eng Wrote:
(24-Mar-2016, 22:18)Confused Wrote: It's an SL-7.  My brother is a music lover, but not one for spending much cash on hifi......

Probably still pretty good though may need some tlc. Parallel trackers are better than pivoted arms but much more temperamental.

I must admit that I have paid absolutely no attention to the thing, not even thought about it.  Anyway, suitably inspired I shall give it a try when I have some time.  I wonder if it still works?  (N.B. It would be slightly annoying if it sounds better than the turntable I bought a year or so ago!)