Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
B&W 803D3
If you can get a demo, try the PMC 20.26 - I chose them in the same price bracket after demo-ing many of the speakers on your list.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(17-Mar-2016, 00:17)samurai7595 Wrote:
(16-Mar-2016, 22:40)BrianT Wrote: Antonio

Thanks for your congrats.

How you doing with your speaker choice ?

Brian

Hi Brian,

So far, I've auditioned the Harbeth Super HL5+, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Focal Sopra 2, Magico S1, Wilson Audio Sabrina and B&W 804d3.

Of all those speakers, I really liked the Sabrina speakers the best but they are not within my budget (not even close).  These only had about 50 hours on them and sounded very nice.

For the Sopra 2 speakers, I just didn't like the Beryllium tweeter as it sounded bright/harsh to my ears (they had about 200 hours on them).

The Olympica II speakers were very nice in the highs and mids (beautiful/sweet midrange) but they do not go as deep as my ProAc Response D30R (I love deep, well-controlled bass).  These speakers had about 300 hours on them.

The Super HL5+ speakers did not impress me at all although they did have a sweet midrange but the bass was lacking (also had about 200 hours on them) and my wife hates their retro look.

The S1 speakers were god awful (to my ears) as they sounded congested and lacking in bass (they had about 300 hours on them).  I really hated these speakers and cannot understand the favourable reviews on them.  Note that these were the original version (they now have a v2 with new drivers & crossover).

I like the 804d3 speakers a lot.  They had about 100 hours on them and sounded great.  Very clear & precise highs, very sweet midrange and very impressive bass considering their size (smaller than my ProAc speakers).  They are also beautiful to look at (to my eyes) and seem to have very high WAF (my wife loves the look).  I was afraid that the tweeter would be bright (with a name like diamond) but not at all.

The last speaker I'm going to audition is the Spendor D7.  I've read great reviews on these speakers and I'm really curious to hear them.

So once I've auditioned the Spendor, it will be either B&W 804d3 or Spendor D7 or stay with my ProAc speakers.

BTW, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone reading this (in case you own any of the speakers I did not like) but this is what this business is all about.  We don't all like the same things...  Tongue  YMMV

Couldn't disagree more strongly about the Magico S1, fantastic speakers and if you found them lacking in bass and congested I suggest you look elsewhere in your system. They don't have as much bass as the Magico S5 but then that's hardly surprising.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(17-Mar-2016, 00:17)samurai7595 Wrote: Wilson Audio Sabrina and B&W 804d3.

Of all those speakers, I really liked the Sabrina speakers the best but they are not within my budget (not even close).  

I also really liked the Wilson Sabrina, but like you not in my budget
my wife keeps giving me little digs over the 803D3.
Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(17-Mar-2016, 11:20)BrianT Wrote: my wife keeps giving me little digs over the 803D3.

The B&W 803d3 is a beautiful speaker but a little too big for my smallish room and these speakers really benefit from a Devialet dual-mono setup like a Devialet 400 and I really can't afford to go down that road. Plus we are looking at downsizing our life-style since we will be moving into either a smaller house or maybe even a condo due to my wife's medical situation.
(17-Mar-2016, 11:20)BrianT Wrote:
(17-Mar-2016, 00:17)samurai7595 Wrote: Wilson Audio Sabrina and B&W 804d3.

Of all those speakers, I really liked the Sabrina speakers the best but they are not within my budget (not even close).  

I also really liked the Wilson Sabrina, but like you not in my budget
my wife keeps giving me little digs over the 803D3.
Brian

You must be getting a heck of a deal on the 803D3s as they are the same price as Sabrinas basically.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I had a fun Saturday, drove down to Montreal from Ottawa to pick up my new B&W 803D3 speakers
arrived home around 7:00pm got them in the house and unpacked one. left them in the hall all night.

This morning I unpacked of the pallets and rolled them into place. (glad they got rollers on the bottom, as they weight 144lbs ea)

Now the fun time of breaking them in, and finding the best placement for them.

Brian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(20-Mar-2016, 19:30)BrianT Wrote: I had a fun Saturday, drove down to Montreal from Ottawa to pick up my new B&W 803D3 speakers
arrived home around 7:00pm got them in the house and unpacked one. left them in the hall all night.

This morning I unpacked of the pallets and rolled them into place. (glad they got rollers on the bottom, as they weight 144lbs ea)

Now the fun time of breaking them in, and finding the best placement for them.

Brian

Congratulations. Enjoy Wink
Very imposing Brian - have fun!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Congratulations , I think you have made the correct decision , no doubt a new series of B&W (802 D3, 803 D3 ) is one of the best
market today (to my opinion ) .

Have fun!
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

Epicness, Brian!
They look awesome...
Hopefully they sound even more beautiful than they look.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)