Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another looking to change/upgrade - suggestions?
I'm moving soon - the 'seat-cover' and the old goat (me), want to move closer to the off-spring as we shuffle into our twilight years!

The house we are looking at is a new-build, and I have been potentially allocated (by the boss) the dining room for my 'play-room' and office... not very big, but hopefully just enough.. being approx 12 x 9ft

Currently my system is in the kitchen of all places, but it is about 19 x 14 so quite a lot larger, and the Triangle Deltas are pretty good at filling the room with sound, especially when we get the grand-kids visiting demanding a disco afternoon... Overall, these speaker are on the exciting side and very versatile. On my own I like to listen to a wide range of music such as electronica, stuff like Himalayan/ asian traditional world music, trad jazz, spine tingling beautiful Haley Westernra (discovered from a track on Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres).

But... now I am moving, I am thinking I have gone so far with upgrades to the music server setup, so I feel the speakers could be improved on. Clarity, accuracy and wide sound stage are important to me, with a good bass reach for those tracks that need it, like toccata & fugue in D minor which is my all-time fav organ music.

Since I have come back to proper Hi-fi recently after 20 years, and maybe because I am a lot older, I couldn't believe how much I am 'moved' emotionally by some tracks that I have played for years on lesser systems that produced no real engagement.
It is obvious to me now that with a good system and good recordings you hear detail that transforms the experience from being mundane to spine-tingling, and I am convinced that with even better speakers, I would be able to experience & discover even more...

I blame my youngest Son (now 45) for his recent Man-cave idea, where he has (in a similar size room) a high quality ceiling projector & full-width pull-down screen, surround sound (front hif-fi speakers) rears/side/ and ceiling surround speakers built-in, a true entertainment room!

Whether I will go that far I don't know, but first for me is the speaker short-list - Budget-wise around £4-10k max.

They need to be comfortable in a room of the size I mentioned.

German-physics, and Raidho come to mind, but looking for additional alternatives?

Suggestions, gratefully received!

Thanks
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Falling smack bang in the middle of your budget, how about Franco Serblin Accordos?  They do pretty reasonable bass with SAM enabled, and would probably work nicely in a small-ish room.  They don't occupy a huge amount of space either visually or physically, but they sound much bigger than they look.  Incidentally, or not, they are also drop-dead gorgeous (to my eyes, ymmv).

If you're interested, talk to Trev and Gavin at Guildford Audio -- and tell 'em I sent you!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(23-Mar-2016, 12:55)thumb5 Wrote: Falling smack bang in the middle of your budget, how about Franco Serblin Accordos?  They do pretty reasonable bass with SAM enabled, and would probably work nicely in a small-ish room.  They don't occupy a huge amount of space either visually or physically, but they sound much bigger than they look.  Incidentally, or not, they are also drop-dead gorgeous (to my eyes, ymmv).

If you're interested, talk to Trev and Gavin at Guildford Audio -- and tell 'em I sent you!

+15

(can I give +15??)

The FS Accordos are visually stunning, and sound very good. It does depend on your personal tastes, of course.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Following a recent house move I am dealing with a similar problem.  I've been auditioning replacements for my B&W 802Ds and at the moment the Wilson Benesch Vector is in pole position.  IMHO, they're a magical combination with my D400 in a room of similar size to yours, and at ~£8.1K well inside your budget.  They sounded much bigger than expected with good top to bottom integration and top class dynamics (they remind me of a certain other "Wilson" speaker company). Also, to my eyes, they are a good match aesthetically with the Devialets.

Also worth considering are PMC with their ATL transmission lines.  I'm currently trying some Fact 12s which are working well in my room; tight and surprisingly deep bass (sans SAM).
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
(24-Mar-2016, 19:33)SteveO... Wrote: Following a recent house move I am dealing with a similar problem.  I've been auditioning replacements for my B&W 802Ds and at the moment the Wilson Benesch Vector is in pole position.  IMHO, they're a magical combination with my D400 in a room of similar size to yours, and at ~£8.1K well inside your budget.  They sounded much bigger than expected with good top to bottom integration and top class dynamics (they remind me of a certain other "Wilson" speaker company).  Also, to my eyes, they are a good match aesthetically with the Devialets.

Also worth considering are PMC with their ATL transmission lines.  I'm currently trying some Fact 12s which are working well in my room; tight and surprisingly deep bass (sans SAM).

My listening room is also relatively small (4.5m by 3.5m) and The speakers have to be fairly close to the back wall. I notice that the Wilson Benesch Vector has a rear firing port. Does this cause any problems? I have been toying with the idea of an upgrade. At the moment I have ProAc D20Rs (downward firing port) On my list is the B&W 804 D3 (front firing) and Magico S1 (infinite baffle), but I'd listen to anything suitable.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(25-Mar-2016, 13:00)Axel Wrote:
(24-Mar-2016, 19:33)SteveO... Wrote: Following a recent house move I am dealing with a similar problem.  I've been auditioning replacements for my B&W 802Ds and at the moment the Wilson Benesch Vector is in pole position.  IMHO, they're a magical combination with my D400 in a room of similar size to yours, and at ~£8.1K well inside your budget.  They sounded much bigger than expected with good top to bottom integration and top class dynamics (they remind me of a certain other "Wilson" speaker company).  Also, to my eyes, they are a good match aesthetically with the Devialets.

My listening room is also relatively small (4.5m by 3.5m) and The speakers have to be fairly close to the back wall. I notice that the Wilson Benesch Vector has a rear firing port. Does this cause any problems? I have been toying with the idea of an upgrade. At the moment I have ProAc D20Rs (downward firing port) On my list is the B&W 804 D3 (front firing) and Magico S1 (infinite baffle), but I'd listen to anything suitable.

My listening room is the same size as yours and I have no issues with my ProAc Response D30R speakers.

What I really like about the ProAc Response speaker design, is their down-firing port.  First off, since it's down-firing, it's not affected by how close they are to the wall behind them (mine are 0.15m).  Plus, the down-firing port is designed with a "platform" and it does not just fire to the floor itself therefore, bass will not be affected if your floor has carpeting or not.

I think it's a very small & efficient design and has been working great for me!  Plus, in my smallish room, I also have SAM at 100% and the bass goes very deep but it's very well controlled (not boomy at all).  You should have a serious look at ProAc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-Mar-2016, 14:34)samurai7595 Wrote:
(25-Mar-2016, 13:00)Axel Wrote:

My listening room is the same size as yours and I have no issues with my ProAc Response D30R speakers.

What I really like about the ProAc Response speaker design, is their down-firing port.  First off, since it's down-firing, it's not affected by how close they are to the wall behind them (mine are 0.15m).  Plus, the down-firing port is designed with a "platform" and it does not just fire to the floor itself therefore, bass will not be affected if your floor has carpeting or not.

I think it's a very small & efficient design and has been working great for me!  Plus, in my smallish room, I also have SAM at 100% and the bass goes very deep but it's very well controlled (not boomy at all).  You should have a serious look at ProAc.
Agreed, the ProAcs are great speakers and, apart from the downward firing port, the thing I really like is the sound of the ribbon tweeters.
 I have my SAM set to only 20% though, although room acoustics/furnishing/speaker placement will have a big effect on bass response. Also, I think the bass/ mid driver in the D30R  is different better than the one in the D20R. Perhaps I should have (had) a listen to some 30s!?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I did audition the Magico S1 and did not like them at all.

They sounded congested and the bass was weak.
(25-Mar-2016, 13:00)Axel Wrote: My listening room is also relatively small (4.5m by 3.5m) and The speakers have to be fairly close to the back wall. I notice that the Wilson Benesch Vector has a rear firing port. Does this cause any problems? I have been toying with the idea of an upgrade. At the moment I have ProAc D20Rs (downward firing port) On my list is the B&W 804 D3 (front firing) and Magico S1 (infinite baffle), but I'd listen to anything suitable.

The Vectors downward firing ports in the base for bass loading.  I believe the one at the rear is for the mid-range driver.  I didn't have any problems with the rear port (unlike with some other speakers I have tried).

The stand-mount Vertexes are good too (also downward firing ports).
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
(25-Mar-2016, 18:17)SteveO... Wrote:
(25-Mar-2016, 13:00)Axel Wrote: My listening room is also relatively small (4.5m by 3.5m) and The speakers have to be fairly close to the back wall. I notice that the Wilson Benesch Vector has a rear firing port. Does this cause any problems? I have been toying with the idea of an upgrade. At the moment I have ProAc D20Rs (downward firing port) On my list is the B&W 804 D3 (front firing) and Magico S1 (infinite baffle), but I'd listen to anything suitable.

The Vectors downward firing ports in the base for bass loading.  I believe the one at the rear is for the mid-range driver.  I didn't have any problems with the rear port (unlike with some other speakers I have tried).

The stand-mount Vertexes are good too (also downward firing ports).

OK, SteveO, 

Thanks for that, the mid range driver will have less to put out through the port, I imagine, making them easier to place. They look the business too. Another one for the list.
South Coast England