Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Yvette with D400
Hi,
I am planning to change my speakers (Focal Aria 948 and SVS PB100 subs) with one of the following options:

1- Wilson Yvette
2- P&W 802 D3

I have auditioned the Yvette with D220pro and it sounded amazing for the mids but not as deep in the lows. But in general I liked them.

for the 802D3, I tried them with the Krell amplifier but I found them very harsh but deep sounding.

My question is, I liked the Yvette more but I am not sure how it will perform with D400 especially in the lows? Do I need to keep my subs?

And the second question is, Can 802D3 outperforms the Yvette? is it a matter of amplifier?

thanks for your advices.
DEV and Yvette are awesome combo
And Yvette has a SAM profile so you should be safe!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Both speakers can be driven well by the devialet so up to your preferences. Both are well respected brands so no worries there.
If you've listened to both speakers with different amps I assume they were at different dealers in different rooms. Wilson speakers are not known for being bass shy so I'd say the lack of bass might have been where and how they were set up. If you like the Ivettes, go for it.

Keep the subs either way you choose.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Jul-2020, 12:26)gtahan Wrote: for the 802D3, I tried them with the Krell amplifier but I found them very harsh but deep sounding.

B&W's 800D3 series have a very forward sound.  #37   To my ears the sound of Wilson's Yvette (and Sabrina) are more natural. But here are many satisfied owners of 800d3 series speakers on this forum. So it is really a matter of taste.

(10-Jul-2020, 12:26)gtahan Wrote: My question is, I liked the Yvette more but I am not sure how it will perform with D400 especially in the lows? Do I need to keep my subs?

You could buy Yvettes and try with and without subs and decide wether you want to keep the subs. Judged by the frequency responses of 802D3 and Yvette I would not expect a big difference in bass performance.

(10-Jul-2020, 12:26)gtahan Wrote: And the second question is, Can 802D3 outperforms the Yvette? is it a matter of amplifier?

I guess D400 is (more than) adequate to drive Yvettes. All I can say is Sabrinas perform very well with D220. 

Grimm Audio MU1 (Roon+Qobuz)  ~   D220 Pro CI   ~   Magico A5
Digital Cables: Audioquest Diamond ethernet; Audioquest Diamond AES/EBU
Speaker Cables: Nordost Tyr  -  Power Cables: Shunyata Alpha EF (D220); Shunyata Alpha NR (Grimm)
Resonance Control: Bassocontinuo (rack); CeraBase slimline (footers)
The Netherlands -                        - August 2023 -