Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trigger cable lowers temperatures & power consumption
This is an extract from my post re the 1000 Pro launch at Oxford Audio. The person I was talking to was Devialet's Chief Designer Mathieu Pernot.

Nothing to do with the Pro, but I did ask about the master companion link. Apparently the SPDIF to AES can be utilised with either a 75 or 110 ohm cable, or something in between. At first, I was told 'it makes no difference', apparently because the AES/EBU has an input transformer that makes the input effectively blind to cable impedance, however, apparently a cable with a transformer is theoretically the ideal. (such as the Audioprana?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Sep-2016, 14:59)audio_engr Wrote:  
(10-Sep-2016, 21:18)Axel Wrote:
(10-Sep-2016, 20:51)baddog Wrote: I believe he is trying to enable sharing inputs on the Companion while using the standard RCA-RCA connection. ( which obviously cannot be done once he replaces with the RCA/XLR connection )

And looking into what type of RCA/XLR cable he should get, 75 Ohm or 110 Ohm.

OK, then tick the "share sources from companion" circle, then you can click on the RCAs to enable them, but you must then connect the trigger cable. I use a 110 ohm RCA/XLRcable, but you can use 75 ohm like the Crystal one supplied.

Edit: even if you connect by RCA to AES/EBU, you can still use the two RCA  outputs on the companion next to the AES/EBU socket.

Thanks for your inputs on the 75 Ohms OR 110 Ohms cable ... 

I'll get a 110 Ohms cable and wire it for RCA-to-XLR ..  Smile
Instead of wiring your own, DHLabs make them in all lengths and prices are very reasonable. They are very well made, I use one and can recommend it. I bought it through Amazon, who refunded my customs charges. Alternatively use audiohobby.eu
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(11-Sep-2016, 16:30)Axel Wrote:
(11-Sep-2016, 14:59)audio_engr Wrote:  
(10-Sep-2016, 21:18)Axel Wrote: OK, then tick the "share sources from companion" circle, then you can click on the RCAs to enable them, but you must then connect the trigger cable. I use a 110 ohm RCA/XLRcable, but you can use 75 ohm like the Crystal one supplied.

Edit: even if you connect by RCA to AES/EBU, you can still use the two RCA  outputs on the companion next to the AES/EBU socket.

Thanks for your inputs on the 75 Ohms OR 110 Ohms cable ... 

I'll get a 110 Ohms cable and wire it for RCA-to-XLR ..  Smile
Instead of wiring your own, DHLabs make them in all lengths and prices are very reasonable. They are very well made, I use one and can recommend it. I bought it through Amazon, who refunded my customs charges. Alternatively use audiohobby.eu

Thanks Axel for your suggestions. 

Contacted DH Labs to build me this custom cable with RCA to XLR.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(11-Sep-2016, 15:58)Confused Wrote: This is an extract from my post re the 1000 Pro launch at Oxford Audio.  The person I was talking to was Devialet's Chief Designer Mathieu Pernot.

Nothing to do with the Pro, but I did ask about the master companion link. Apparently the SPDIF to AES can be utilised with either a 75 or 110 ohm cable, or something in between. At first, I was told 'it makes no difference', apparently because the AES/EBU has an input transformer that makes the input effectively blind to cable impedance, however, apparently a cable with a transformer is theoretically the ideal. (such as the Audioprana?)

Many thanks for this vital info. Appreciate it !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Blue Jeans cable also make this cable as a custom order. They use Belden 1800F cable. Costs $26 + shipping. https://www.bluejeanscable.com.

I did not know whether DHLabs could make custom order cable, so I contacted blue jeans and emailed them this link for specs.
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-by-myself
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(12-Sep-2016, 17:21)sam1000 Wrote: Blue Jeans cable also make this cable as a custom order. They use Belden 1800F cable. Costs $26 +  shipping. https://www.bluejeanscable.com.

I did not know whether DHLabs could make custom order cable, so I contacted blue jeans and emailed them this link for specs.  
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-by-myself

DH Labs does make this custom cable. You may contact Greg for this ...    dhlabs@silversonic.com

He's doing mine presently.
I set up my D400 with a trigger cable as recommended above > cable plugged in lower port of the master and upper port of the companion + "share sources from companion" activated in Chaining settings. Unfortunately, this configuration is causing the right channel (the one driven by the companion) not working anymore while the left one is OK.

See attached picture of the configuration. Wondering whether I should activate Optical 2 as well, something else or should I consider the jack cable itself?

Any feedback or input is welcome.  Thanks!

Turntable VPI Traveler (Dynav. 10x5) - Drive Moon Néo 260D - Devialet D400 - LS Apertura Edena - Phono cable Nordost Blue Heaven - Modulation cable AES/EBU Kharma Matrix Reference - Loudspeaker cables Kharma Matrix Reference
Hi People here,

I have to clarify the fact that using Trigger cable between your mono block will not drop your temperature or equalize your amp temperature. If you see a temperature difference by using this method, it must be other factors affecting the result.

The trigger cable is ONLY for sending information back to the Master when you are using inputs from the Companion unit. It does NOTHING else. There is no official document mentioned it is for any other purpose. And also the Devialet user manual suggested use single connection for dual mono because that's all it needs.

So if you don't need inputs from Companion, use the most simple connection is the best way to go.
Both Devialet Technical Support and reality contradict that. Devialet Technical Support has confirmed for both the Expert and Expert Pro that using the trigger cables uses less power and lowers the temperature a bit, less with the Pro than the earlier amps. I assume that the temperature difference comes from the decreased power, which I assume comes from more efficient communication between the amps. I'm no technical expert though, so feel free to explain the other factors. I just confirm that it works and Devialet confirms that too.
(04-Aug-2017, 01:27)deviousalet Wrote: Both Devialet Technical Support and reality contradict that. Devialet Technical Support has confirmed for both the Expert and Expert Pro that using the trigger cables uses less power and lowers the temperature a bit, less with the Pro than the earlier amps. I assume that the temperature difference comes from the decreased power, which I assume comes from more efficient communication between the amps. I'm no technical expert though, so feel free to explain the other factors. I just confirm that it works and Devialet confirms that too.

Devialet technical document did not confirm that. If so please show a URL of their official document. Unofficial email conversation does not count.

ONLY official technical specification or user manual counts, conversation between customer support team does not count and could be misleading very often. I am an engineer and I work with the support team in my company, so I know they sometimes mislead customers. So I only suggest people refer to official technical specification or user manual, every else should not be considered.