Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trigger cable lowers temperatures & power consumption
Respectfully, why would user experience or guidance from Devialet Technical support not count?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(04-Aug-2017, 01:54)PeppaPig Wrote:
(04-Aug-2017, 01:27)deviousalet Wrote: ...

Devialet technical document did not confirm that. If so please show a URL of their official document. Unofficial email conversation does not count.

ONLY official technical specification or user manual counts, conversation between customer support team does not count and could be misleading very often. I am an engineer and I work with the support team in my company, so I know they sometimes mislead customers. So I only suggest people refer to official technical specification or user manual, every else should not be considered.

Need I point out the inherent irony of your post?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(04-Aug-2017, 01:27)deviousalet Wrote: Both Devialet Technical Support and reality contradict that. Devialet Technical Support has confirmed for both the Expert and Expert Pro that using the trigger cables uses less power and lowers the temperature a bit, less with the Pro than the earlier amps. I assume that the temperature difference comes from the decreased power, which I assume comes from more efficient communication between the amps. I'm no technical expert though, so feel free to explain the other factors. I just confirm that it works and Devialet confirms that too.

Devialet technical document did not confirm that. If so please show a URL of their official document. Unofficial email conversation does not count.

ONLY official technical specification or user manual counts, conversation between customer support team does not count and could be misleading very often. I am an engineer and I work with the support team in my company, so I know they sometimes mislead customers. So I only suggest people refer to official technical specification or user manual, every else should not be considered.

Well it's a kind of curiousity and learning.  Angel  In this case one can do a simple double blind and randomized study. For example 15 rounds with and 15 rounds without a trigger cable. Then put the values in a suitable online T-test calculator. The test has to be repeated on other units.
(04-Aug-2017, 01:27)deviousalet Wrote: Both Devialet Technical Support and reality contradict that. Devialet Technical Support has confirmed for both the Expert and Expert Pro that using the trigger cables uses less power and lowers the temperature a bit, less with the Pro than the earlier amps. I assume that the temperature difference comes from the decreased power, which I assume comes from more efficient communication between the amps. I'm no technical expert though, so feel free to explain the other factors. I just confirm that it works and Devialet confirms that too.

I might be tempted to agree with some of this, but one problem with Devialet is that their own technical documentation lacks detail and does not cover all aspects of operation.  (or to be less polite, most of it is useless rubbish) As for use of the Master Companion link 'mini-jack', I do not think the official Devialet documentation says anything about it at all, beyond that you need it if you want to use the inputs on the companion.  As far as temperatures are concerned, I suspect nobody will be able to 'post a URL' to a Devialet document prove or disprove the point one way or the other.

From my own personal experience I have had some excellent responses from Devialet support, and indeed some responses that were clearly completely wrong or utter nonsense, so yes, a bit hit and miss.

I have also had issues in the past where the official Devailet documentation was of no help at all and Devialet support failed to provide any useful information.  However, the good people of this forum could help and solve the issue.  There are no real 'black and white' absolutes here, all I would say is that if something is correct, it counts.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(04-Aug-2017, 07:11)baddog Wrote: Respectfully, why would user experience or guidance from Devialet Technical support not count?

Because user experience is:

1. users are users, not original developer of the product.

2. users are not professionally trained to make professional conclusion.

I don't mind if you believe it, I am not trying to argue with anyone, but just don't want anyone wasting time on something that is not going to happen.

Connecting the mini jack is only for output the single from companion to your master when you are using companion inputs. That's all. Don't dream it will do anything else.

If the inside CPU or firmware are created to use that trigger port for load balancing, Devialet will sure let you know unless there are a big trade off on the other side.
(05-Aug-2017, 13:58)PeppaPig Wrote: Connecting the mini jack is only for output the single from companion to your master when you are using companion inputs. That's all. Don't dream it will do anything else.

That's not how I understand it's works.

When the link cable is not used all music and comms (vol setting etc) has to go down the single cable, and always from master to companion. When it is used the comms is separated out so that the comms from the master to companion (and always this way) goes down the link cable, and music goes down the other cable. If a master input is in use music goes from master to companion, when a companion input is used it goes the other way. When configured like this the companion is able to use just monitor the trigger cable in standby, which seems to use less power, and wake up quicker than when the single cable is used. Using less power makes the companion the same temp as the master when off, but when not used it is warmer than the master when off, so in a passively cooled system it often ends up cooler than than the master when on.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(05-Aug-2017, 15:13)Soniclife Wrote:
(05-Aug-2017, 13:58)PeppaPig Wrote: Connecting the mini jack is only for output the single from companion to your master when you are using companion inputs. That's all. Don't dream it will do anything else.

That's not how I understand it's works.  

When the link cable is not used all music and comms (vol setting etc) has to go down the single cable, and always from master to companion.  When it is used the comms is separated out so that the comms from the master to companion (and always this way) goes down the link cable, and music goes down the other cable.  If a master input is in use music goes from master to companion, when a companion input is used it goes the other way.  When configured like this the companion is able to use just monitor the trigger cable in standby, which seems to use less power, and wake up quicker than when the single cable is used.  Using less power makes the companion the same temp as the master when off, but when not used it is warmer than the master when off, so in a passively cooled system it often ends up cooler than than the master when on.

No matter if the trigger cable used or not used, the way how it wake up from sleep is same. 

Trigger cable only designed for sending single back to Master when input on companion is in use. Nothing else and it won't drop your temperature.
I find that using the trigger cable lowers the temperature for my amps. Everyone can test it for themselves, we have no need to debate it.
(10-Aug-2017, 04:33)deviousalet Wrote: I find that using the trigger cable lowers the temperature for my amps. Everyone can test it for themselves, we have no need to debate it.

Do you know it from checking the internal temp, or do you measure the temp around it ?
Does it sound that much better ?

I need to give it a try , it's such an easy tweak . I didn't try it only cuz my system sound so good and I believe that the enemy of the good is the better ... and im lazy
(10-Aug-2017, 02:52)PeppaPig Wrote: No matter if the trigger cable used or not used, the way how it wake up from sleep is same. 
No it isn't, if you try it you can see a difference.

(10-Aug-2017, 02:52)PeppaPig Wrote: Trigger cable only designed for sending single back to Master when input on companion is in use.
What is single?

Have you tried this for yourself?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution