Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magico S1 or S5 + Devialet 200???
Hello

Is here any user of Devialet and Magico S1 or S5? I have 200. There is a good chance to buy S1 or S5 for really a good price.

How many square meters I need for S5 to listen them in full glory? And how many for S1? What are biggest differences in sound (apart of much lower bass with S5) 

Is S5 a bit warmer than S1?

Best regards
Chris
I auditioned the Magico S1 (original version) and I didn't like it at all.

The speaker sounded congested and I found the bass very weak.
(01-Apr-2016, 00:28)samurai7595 Wrote: I auditioned the Magico S1 (original version) and I didn't like it at all.

Yes you said this before and if that is true then there is something wrong with your system as the Magico speakers are probably the cleanest sounding I have ever heard, and bass light is only true in comparison to the S3 and S5.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(01-Apr-2016, 09:27)NickB Wrote:
(01-Apr-2016, 00:28)samurai7595 Wrote: I auditioned the Magico S1 (original version) and I didn't like it at all.

Yes you said this before and if that is true then there is something wrong with your system as the Magico speakers are probably the cleanest sounding I have ever heard, and bass light is only true in comparison to the S3 and S5.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with my system.

I've been auditioning various speakers and brining along my Devialet 200 with me (when the dealer does not have a unit) and of all the speakers I've heard, I really didn't like the Magico S1. A good friend of mine has been tagging along with me to some of my auditions and he agreed with me concerning the S1 speakers. Plus the dealer that was offering them, had them on consignment and he told me that I wasn't the first person to not like these speakers.

Maybe the MKII are better since they've changed the crossover and drivers but I really didn't like the S1 MKI. YMMV
I know, when I went to Oxford Audio for a Devialet day I thought the S1 sounded so congested and bass light (while sited in the middle of a crowded reception area under an arch) that I spent 4 hours listening to them to make sure that I didn't like them. Then I bought some S5's as I got a great deal.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I think the S1s are brilliant. I have listened several times and the most recent was with the Original d"Atelier. After a while the speakers were changed to Martin Logan, which were nowhere near as clear or detailed.
I am not fond of the styling of the Magico S series though, personally, whilst accepting that the acoustic design is probably amongst the best available, tweeter, bass/mid and cabinet are SOTA.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Why not the S3.
I'm biased I have a pair I use with the Dev 400.
My listening impressions from a year ago were that the S1 (mk1) was like a good bookshelf but I wanted something full range.
I loved the mid range voice of the s3 compared to the s5.
I couldn't afford the s5 which had better bass I thought and I was afraid they would overwhelm my space.

My dealer didn't have Devialet amps but using my own with SAM engaged there is no shortage of bass.
YMMV Smile

Good luck with your quest,
Theaudioguru......apprentice
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.
(01-Apr-2016, 18:38)f1eng Wrote: I think the S1s are brilliant. I have listened several times and the most recent was with the Original d"Atelier. After a while the speakers were changed to Martin Logan, which were nowhere near as clear or detailed.
I am not fond of the styling of the Magico S series though, personally, whilst accepting that the acoustic design is probably amongst the best available, tweeter, bass/mid and cabinet are SOTA.

Can you remember which Martin Logans? 

I heard some Theos driven by an Od'A and I thought they were dreadful. The bigger models are great, though.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(04-Apr-2016, 21:03)ozthepoz Wrote:
(01-Apr-2016, 18:38)f1eng Wrote: I think the S1s are brilliant. I have listened several times and the most recent was with the Original d"Atelier. After a while the speakers were changed to Martin Logan, which were nowhere near as clear or detailed.

Can you remember which Martin Logans? 

I heard some Theos driven by an Od'A and I thought they were dreadful. The bigger models are great, though.

Didn't pay attention, sorry.
I had a fling with panel speakers but eventually concluded that they added too much of the listening room acoustics to the sound field. Mine were Apogee Diva actives which I used for 7 years.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It's a shame the new Magico line (MKII) starts at 24.500 euro in Europe, I understand the usd/eur echange but at this price the S1 is above the b&w 802 D3 and noway the S1 approaches the b&w. Magico is a tough sell in Europa these days as are many other US manufactures.