Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magico S1 or S5 + Devialet 200???
I had a chance to try out the S5mk2 on my D800 to replace my Magico V2. After one weekend it was clear for me, that I like the sonic signature of the V2 much better. Especially upper mid´s sounded more natural and everything sounded less stressed. A used V2 is a real bargain nowadays !
I returned the S5mk2 and I will stick to my V2....
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(15-Jun-2016, 21:57)NickB Wrote:
(15-Jun-2016, 14:28)moreno1973 Wrote:
(14-Jun-2016, 16:53)NickB Wrote: Just to throw a hand grenade in here, if you think the S5's are good with a D400 you should try them with a D800. The difference is not subtle in any shape or form.

How big is Your room? What is the minimum size of room for S5 in Your opinion? 

Regards

My room is about 4.5 x 4.8 metres with suspended wooden floors and solid walls and they work fine here. Most people thought they would be to heavy in the bass but it is so controlled it never gets out of hand.

Very interesting. My room is only 12 feet x 19 feet, solid floor and walls - bit of a bunker. All ported speakers I've had (Wilson W/P 6; Duettes; Shasha Mk I (demo)) gave bass problems if I'm honest (standing waves) - exciting on rock but opressive on other tracks. The Magicos have none of these problems and yet give me fantastic full range bass when required. I wonder if sealed enclosures are more room friendly than ported?
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Yes I agree, I have tried many ported speakers and not really been happy with any of them. All suffer with over emphasis of bass in certain parts and bad room reactions. The S5's are the best behaved speakers I have heard and will not be leaving here any time soon.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(15-Jun-2016, 23:11)NickB Wrote: Yes I agree, I have tried many ported speakers and not really been happy with any of them. All suffer with over emphasis of bass in certain parts and bad room reactions. The S5's are the best behaved speakers I have heard and will not be leaving here any time soon.

Likewise. They also look great in blue! I had been a Wilson man for over 15 years before the Magico's. The Wilson's are great and I still love what they do. However, they do require room to breathe or the bass just gets out of hand, especially in pokey brick built UK homes. No regrets.
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
(16-Jun-2016, 09:41)KIBM Wrote:
(15-Jun-2016, 23:11)NickB Wrote: Yes I agree, I have tried many ported speakers and not really been happy with any of them. All suffer with over emphasis of bass in certain parts and bad room reactions. The S5's are the best behaved speakers I have heard and will not be leaving here any time soon.

Likewise. They also look great in blue! I had been a Wilson man for over 15 years before the Magico's. The Wilson's are great and I still love what they do. However, they do require room to breathe or the bass just gets out of hand, especially in pokey brick built UK homes. No regrets.

+1 for the blue! I'm a big fan of the S5 and would even consider the mk2 as an upgrade path from my Sasha 2s. 

My Sashas benefited considerably from a stack of GIK corner bass traps, in the two corners behind the speakers. Since then very good indeed even with SAM @ 100%. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(16-Jun-2016, 10:07)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(16-Jun-2016, 09:41)KIBM Wrote:

+1 for the blue! I'm a big fan of the S5 and would even consider the mk2 as an upgrade path from my Sasha 2s. 

My Sashas benefited considerably from a stack of GIK corner bass traps, in the two corners behind the speakers. Since then very good indeed even with SAM @ 100%. 

Guillaume
Hello Guillaume

I loved the demo of the Sasha 1s and really wanted it to work in my room - it has a more 'dramatic' sound than the Magico's - not bright or forward and fantastic imaging - everything I've loved about Wilsons. However, the bass was just too Hollywood in my wee room. I had the S5s and the Sasha's in my room for over a week thanks to Pedro and the AS crew - essential to make the right decision (I'll never forget when they burnt the clutch out of their van trying to reverse the lot up my steep drive. Smoke everywhere - memorable). 

Strangely SAM makes very little difference to the S5s - I just leave it at 100%

Kevin
North Somerset, UK     
Yes mine are blue as well, found out that it is a Honda blue as well and as my fave bikes are Honda that just clinches it
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers