Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New speakers-Stand mounted
Hi.
I think it is time to replace my old speakers.
Thanks to my lovely wife I have got a limited area in our living room to play with. Another major issue is of course the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of the news speakers. According to her they must look even nicer then they play. She means that floor standing speakers looks so old fashion and are a waste of space so these are more or less out of the question.

So after a lot of searching and reading and a few hours of negotiating I have come up with a couple of alternatives.

Sonus Faber Olympica 1,
Sonus Faber Venere 2.0
B&W PM1
B&W 805 Diamond

So what do you think? Are these any good with my 200?
I have promised my wife to go without a sub, but if you who are the experts think that these speakers are a bit “light” on their own I might try to convince her that a sub is a must. Idea

Any other suggestions in this price range/size are welcomed.
The only ones I thing I will be able to listen to her in my home town are the PM1, maybe the 805 diamonds. Not connected to a Devialet though.

Regards
Atle
(11-Sep-2014, 16:24)adro Wrote: Hi.
I think it is time to replace my old speakers.
Thanks to my lovely wife I have got a limited area in our living room to play with. Another major issue is of course the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of the news speakers. According to her they must look even nicer then they play. She means that floor standing speakers looks so old fashion and are a waste of space so these are more or less out of the question.

So after a lot of searching and reading and a few hours of negotiating I have come up with a couple of alternatives.

Sonus Faber Olympica 1,
Sonus Faber Venere 2.0
B&W PM1
B&W 805 Diamond

So what do you think? Are these any good with my 200?
I have promised my wife to go without a sub, but if you who are the experts think that these speakers are a bit “light” on their own I might try to convince her that a sub is a must. Idea

Any other suggestions in this price range/size are welcomed.
The only ones I thing I will be able to listen to her in my home town are the PM1, maybe the 805 diamonds. Not connected to a Devialet though.

Regards
Atle

HI

I have 200 at home plus SF Auditor M. This is a nice match for 200. I heard 805D and PM1 with 200. PM1 for me is nothing special. Woofer is not performing very well IMHO. 805D with SAM on is an interesting proposition. Much beeter sounding than without SAM. Less 3D effect but better midrange and musicality. 805D gives You WOW factor eith sound but this is not a natural sounding speaker. If You prefer classical music and jazz from ECM or ACT label please try to listem Auditor M. 805D is better for pop and rock than for classic and jazz.
If You like natural sounding and great midrange try Auditor M. Best natural sounding monitor in its price range.
Read this:
http://www.littletribeca.com
choose SERVICES then Studio & Equipment. Read about speakers.
Nicolas Bartholomee is one of the best in his work in Europe. He KNOWS what is a real music sounding. True music played by best musicians in Europe. So his opinions I appreciate more than any other.
Auditor M is now offered in many shops with good sale price because SF has new speakers Olympica I. I think that new Auditor M with stands will cost around 3000-3500 Euro.
I you like Sonus faber, I'd suggest trying to find a pair of Cremona Auditor Ms. I prefer them to the Olympica Is, which I find rather too bright. There are a few second-hand and ex-demo pairs around. They are SAM ready.
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
As a wild card entry, KEF LS50. They produce massive bass with SAM. Plus, I think some people struggle to take them seriously because they are so cheap. They might have got more respect if KEF had doubled the price!
(11-Sep-2014, 19:23)Confused Wrote: As a wild card entry, KEF LS50. They produce massive bass with SAM. Plus, I think some people struggle to take them seriously because they are so cheap. They might have got more respect if KEF had doubled the price!

+1

Have them, love them. Not using with Devialet now, but heard them with D250 and really great... Very picky on room placement though... so with proper care and right electronics, hard to beat. I even liked them better than the Blade's. (minus extreme base of course)
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(11-Sep-2014, 19:47)Kunter Wrote: I even liked them better than the Blade's. (minus extreme base of course)

Ouch! I have a pair of Blades, so that's £19200 wasted then! Joking apart, I have a pair of LS50's, used a centre speakers in a surround system. In some respects they are closer to Blades than you might expect.
Very interesting that such a small and cheap speaker as the LS50 get such great reviews. I am waiting for the new KEF Reference 1; kind of expecting this to have all the greatness of the LS50 plus some more. It should be around quite soon.

Maybe worth adding the KEF Reference 1 to your list, or the Reference 201/2 that it replaces.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
It's also worth noting that KEF are one manufacturer who are supportive of SAM. So it's probably a fairly safe bet that the new reference series will eventually get the SAM treatment.
(11-Sep-2014, 20:10)Confused Wrote:
(11-Sep-2014, 19:47)Kunter Wrote: I even liked them better than the Blade's. (minus extreme base of course)

Ouch! I have a pair of Blades, so that's £19200 wasted then! Joking apart, I have a pair of LS50's, used a centre speakers in a surround system. In some respects they are closer to Blades than you might expect.

Smile

No offense... Obviously a great speaker... But KEF managed to pack in a lot of a good speaker in LS50...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
The KEF website states"All the jaw-dropping performance and innovative engineering pioneered for the critically acclaimed LS50 studio monitor, and then some". Interesting that KEF choose to compare their new flagship stand mounter with something a fraction of the price. The Reference 1 looks good on paper, but hearing is believing, we'll worth an audition I would have thought.

And no offence taken Kunter! In fact, you can probably see why I use LS50's with the Blades in a surround system. A KEF Blade is a little impractical as a centre speaker(!) but LS50's each side of the screen work fine, and blend in well sound wise. It has to be said that I take 2 channel fairly seriously, but have a relatively cheap surround system for very occasional movie duties, but the LS50's hold their own.

(And you should hear the Blades with the D800 and SAM!)