Poll: How did you obtain your music files
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Vast majority paid for (CD rip or paid download)
67.24%
39 67.24%
A significant number copied from friends files CD's or similar
8.62%
5 8.62%
A significant number downloaded for free
6.90%
4 6.90%
A significant number not paid for but obtained legitimately (inherited / divorce settlement / other)
0%
0 0%
A combination of 2, 3 or 4 above
6.90%
4 6.90%
I'd rather not say officer.
10.34%
6 10.34%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big is your music library supplemental - how did you obtain your music files.
Reading some of the early posts on the 'How big is your music library' has prompted me to offer a supplemental poll, 'How did you obtain your music files'.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Mine are mostly CDs i have purchased myself. Interestingly enough i scour the charity shops where most CDs are between 50p and £2 each. Which reminds me, I haven't been for a while. I also have hundreds of Podcasts but i mainly use them when driving as they are kinda Trance music that keeps me awake while on long runs.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
As I posted on the other thread, in numbers, most of my music is stolen. But having had a quick look at my favourites playlist in iTunes and just going on what I've played today, the vast majority of the music I actually play is my own and paid for. All of them today to be clear.

But since I'm in the possession of so much stolen music and the fact that I'm actually one of the few who posts with his full name here I'll just vote for "I'd rather not say officer" Angel
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(02-Apr-2016, 10:41)Pim van Vliet Wrote: As I posted on the other thread, in numbers, most of my music is stolen. But having had a quick look at my favourites playlist in iTunes and just going on what I've played today, the vast majority of the music I actually play is my own and paid for. All of them today to be clear.

But since I'm in the possession of so much stolen music and the fact that I'm actually one of the few who posts with his full name here I'll just vote for "I'd rather not say officer" Angel

I was thinking of doing a 'what is your occupation' poll, I think would actually be very interesting.  Option 10 would be 'Police investigator - Copyright Infringement team'.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Oddly enough, it is currently illegal in the UK to rip your own purchased music! (Hang on, must stop typing, I can hear sirens outside, what happening!......)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33...ns-new-law
(02-Apr-2016, 11:34)Confused Wrote: Oddly enough, it is currently illegal in the UK to rip your own purchased music!  (Hang on, must stop typing, I can hear sirens outside, what happening!......)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33...ns-new-law

Just formatted my hard drive. I can't go to gaol. I'm clumsy and keep dropping the soap.  Sad
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I voted, won't say what Wink
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I am too old for being part of the pirating generation even though my library is 1.5 TB ALACs with a substantial number of ripped vinyl that is missing in the list.
most of mine are ripped from my own cd collection however i will admit to 'obtaining' some HD versions from, lets say, less than kosha origins *blush*
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Like Tyefighter, most of my music is from my "ripped" CD library but supplemented by some Hi Res files (mainly 24/96, but some 24/192 and DSD 64) downloaded legitimately from Linn Records, 2L and B&W "Society of Sound".

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK