Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me?
Or does anyone else get annoyed at artists who add vinyl scratches to their music to make it sound like an old 78 record?

Just listened to the 11 CD Book from Chris Rea , called Blue Guitars. And i know it's supposed to sound like old blues records from back in the days of slavery but why are so many of the songs lavished with scratches. Makes you wonder why he even bothered puting this out on Cd. 

A few other artists i have noticed doing this is Madonna, Faithless etc. 
I just don't see the point.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Does that mean that in the next century, they will put drop outs and white noise in songs because they want them to sound like the authentic Devialet experience from the early 2000's?  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-Apr-2016, 15:44)Silvertouran Wrote: Or does anyone else get annoyed at artists who add vinyl scratches to their music to make it sound like an old 78 record?

Just listened to the 11 CD Book from Chris Rea , called Blue Guitars. And i know it's supposed to sound like old blues records from back in the days of slavery but why are so many of the songs lavished with scratches. Makes you wonder why he even bothered puting this out on Cd. 

It's artistic innit.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I agree with the annoyance at introducing pops and clicks. I do understand artistic intent and rock especially is full of intentional distortion, but while the artist may think pops and clicks sound cool I don't. It is just preference, and I'm expressing mine. I don't buy ripped jeans. I don't want to pay for degraded music, either degraded by compressed formats (MP3) or the artist adding annoying noises. I pay more for better recordings and formats.
I have some tracks with 'vinyl scratches' in the mix, but they almost certainly come from the fact that vinyl was used in the making of the recording. A good example is some material from Tricky's Maxinquaye, where you can actually see ultra low frequency movements in the base drivers (maybe 4 to 8Hz), which is the normal vinyl crud that you might take out with a high pass 'rumble filter'.

So this might also be the case with some of the examples you have given, I've seen faithless use TT's in live shows and I suspect they would have used TT's as an 'instrument' in much of their studio stuff, although the Chris Rea example sounds a bit suspect! I'll check it out when I get time.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(03-Apr-2016, 23:38)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Does that mean that in the next century, they will put drop outs and white noise in songs because they want them to sound like the authentic Devialet experience from the early 2000's?  Smile

Good one! Linked your post to my #AirIsAJoke Twitter campaign.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(03-Apr-2016, 15:44)Silvertouran Wrote: Or does anyone else get annoyed at artists who add vinyl scratches to their music to make it sound like an old 78 record?

Hello Sivertouran,
Chris Rea has always been very cautious with the sq of his records. eg : the Road To Hell. If interested you can check this link on youtube about the blues project :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJl-XaAuMQ
I think the scratches should be considered as part of this ambitious piece of work ( 11 cds !). btw, Chris has always been underrated as a guitarist and a musician but it's not the matter here. I agree with you about the fact that the artistic purpose of these scratches are questionable in the long run.
This post gives me the opportunity to mention Soulmates by Man Doki : it is an interesting cd recorded old style ie with analog technology in order to render real dynamics and to illustrate the damage of compression and squeaky-clean digital recordings. It appears to me more interesting than scratches.
Best Regards.
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
Dessa starts "Into the Spin" with enough pops and ticks to be clearly intentional, and features them on the rest of that album as well. I would love to see someone's face when they buy her vinyl release and spin their shiny new record only to hear it. At least they won't have to take good care of the vinyl, it will just get more "artistic" with age. I do love listening to Dessa still, just wish she hadn't chosen this particular form of distortion.
Hi everyone,

At the end of Scenes From A Memory (Metropolis part.2) by Dream Theater, you can hear the sound of a stylus skating and ending its course in the last groove of a vinyl. Interesting coda for this great concept album imo. Maybe some of you remember back in the days  having postponing the moment to come back to life, go to the turntable and lift the damn tonearm : it had to be done, despite the pre-coma... The remote control and the digital age encourage idleness !
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
To me though it's the equivalent of buying a 3D 4K TV then sitting down to watch an old black and white film full of crackles as if its been played a million times and then left on a dusty shelf for 50 years.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2