Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
SAMlab video
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I came across Devialet's SAMlab video, and thought it was really interesting to see the tools.

https://vimeo.com/155137356

(link from vimeo.com/155137356 - sorry can't stop it being imbedded a little on the small side)

If only they gave us access to the tools and data (obviously not the proprietary code), and allowed us to make our own custom (unofficial) SAM profiles. Would love to experiment with curves and woofer limits etc at my own risk, or even just look at whats going on. Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Is SAM Lab still on world tour?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Not according to the dates on their website which stop at the end of 2015…..

Also I'm not sure they quite kept to the statement below it on Vimeo: Wink

"Before reaching the end of 2015, Devialet’s engineers will have made SAM Ready every major speaker model."

Not unsurprisingly really, I think they'd be forgiven for that one - that did seem just a little bit optimistic Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(06-Apr-2016, 17:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Not according to the dates on their website which stop at the end of 2015…..

Have Devialet actually updated anything on their website for several months?!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Apr-2016, 17:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Not according to the dates on their website which stop at the end of 2015…..

Also I'm not sure they quite kept to the statement below it on Vimeo: Wink

"Before reaching the end of 2015, Devialet’s engineers will have made SAM Ready every major speaker model."

Not unsurprisingly really, I think they'd be forgiven for that one - that did seem just a little bit optimistic Wink

They have clearly failed.  Bose are not on the SAM ready list.  I believe Bose are just about the most major speaker company there is?  (Although I doubt many folk are powering Bose speakers from a Devialet).  However, There is at least one Deviatet owner who also has Bose speakers, I know this as a fact.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
If they've finished the SAM lab tour, they could loan the SAM lab kit to some of there premier dealers (or flagship stores). A pay per SAM deal might even be a nice little earner?
I've just thought of a challenge, what's the worlds best selling hifi speaker not on the SAM ready list? Only speakers that could actually be SAM'd (so no Martin Logan's etc) qualify.
Lucky me,

after I bought my phantoms I asked my dealer whether sam lab tour would pass by at his place. Some months later he contacted me an thus I could get my good old MB Quart speakers SAMed.
I really appreciate that because now they not just sound great, they have a fine controlled deep bass, nearly as good as the phantoms Wink

Cheers,

Krisp
(06-Apr-2016, 20:34)Confused Wrote: If they've finished the SAM lab tour, they could loan the SAM lab kit to some of there premier dealers (or flagship stores).  A pay per SAM deal might even be a nice little earner?

Well, yeah, according to that video it's a piece of piss. 10 mins and you're done.
If Samlab doesn't actually go anywhere, or they don't set up key dealers with it and train them how to use it, then it seems a bit pointless inventing it?
I mean even if they just did measurements and uploaded them to Devialet to make/check profiles, it would at least hack through the list quicker. Make it mobile and charge to go to people's houses even.

I meant to watch it again as I was a bit rushed. I'm sure I saw woofer max travel get rounded down to a whole mm. Might be wrong there though, but if so that could unnecessarily limit a speaker with limited travel like the fact drivers.

(06-Apr-2016, 20:37)Confused Wrote: I've just thought of a challenge, what's the worlds best selling hifi speaker not on the SAM ready list?  Only speakers that could actually be SAM'd (so no Martin Logan's etc) qualify.

Did a quick random whathifi award/test ok,ok, not high end but the first random one I picked - q acoustics 3050 5stars and group test winner, not SAMed. Well, we had to start somewhere Wink

Btw confused, have you already got the answer, or you don't know either?