Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D400 / companion boots on S1 config...?
I recently bought a D200 as a companion of my former D200 and I am facing what I think is an issue.
On Devialet on-line configurator, I configured both the master and the companion as a D400 set up, downloaded and installed the respective configs of the master and the companion. However, when turning on the 2 D200 (chained via RCA to RCA), the companion boots on a config named "S1 config" which makes me think that the companion does not boot on the appropriate config.
Devialet support team confirmed me that this is the symptom of a mismatching between the 2 amps and it may be caused by the 2 amps not running the same firmware version. Given the companion was shipped with 9.0.2 while the master was in 9.0.1, I downgraded the companion to the 9.0.1 version, strictly identical to the master's one. Despite this, the companion keeps booting on the "S1 config"...
Hence need help and my questions. Have you also experienced the same thing? And to those of you owning a D400, could you please tell me what you observe on the companion display when booting?
Thanks!
Turntable VPI Traveler (Dynav. 10x5) - Drive Moon Néo 260D - Devialet D400 - LS Apertura Edena - Phono cable Nordost Blue Heaven - Modulation cable AES/EBU Kharma Matrix Reference - Loudspeaker cables Kharma Matrix Reference
(16-Apr-2016, 22:22)Christophe Wrote: I recently bought a D200 as a companion of my former D200 and I am facing what I think is an issue.
On Devialet on-line configurator, I configured both the master and the companion as a D400 set up, downloaded and installed the respective configs of the master and the companion. However, when turning on the 2 D200 (chained via RCA to RCA), the companion boots on a config named "S1 config" which makes me think that the companion does not boot on the appropriate config.
Devialet support team confirmed me that this is the symptom of a mismatching between the 2 amps and it may be caused by the 2 amps not running the same firmware version. Given the companion was shipped with 9.0.2 while the master was in 9.0.1, I downgraded the companion to the 9.0.1 version, strictly identical to the master's one. Despite this, the companion keeps booting on the "S1 config"...
Hence need help and my questions. Have you also experienced the same thing? And to those of you owning a D400, could you please tell me what you observe on the companion display when booting?
Thanks!

I just upgraded to a D400 as well (love the sound!) - the companion unit I believe says s1 config when it boots using my custom config though I use the trigger cable - my new d200 companion unit was running 8.1.3 when it arrived and I upgraded to 9.0.1 before I slaved the unit to my original master.  After the slave boots up it will say "companion" above the D400 logo.   Does your new companion not communicate with the master?
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
The S1 designation comes from the days before Devialet dropped the 'slave' designation in favour of the more politically correct 'Companion' term used now. So S1 simply means 'Slave 1'.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Apr-2016, 22:58)Spindrift Wrote:
(16-Apr-2016, 22:22)Christophe Wrote: I recently bought a D200 as a companion of my former D200 and I am facing what I think is an issue.
Thanks!

I just upgraded to a D400 as well (love the sound!) - the companion unit I believe says s1 config when it boots using my custom config though I use the trigger cable - my new d200 companion unit was running 8.1.3 when it arrived and I upgraded to 9.0.1 before I slaved the unit to my original master.  After the slave boots up it will say "companion" above the D400 logo.   Does your new companion not communicate with the master?

Same behavior on my side. When booting, the companion says "S1 config", then presents "companion" above D400. They both seem to communicate since both left and right channels are playing and SAM as well. However, I have a doubt about which configuration the companion is running with, because the Devialet team told me that S1 config is the one the companion defaults on when not well paired with the master.
Very confusing...
Turntable VPI Traveler (Dynav. 10x5) - Drive Moon Néo 260D - Devialet D400 - LS Apertura Edena - Phono cable Nordost Blue Heaven - Modulation cable AES/EBU Kharma Matrix Reference - Loudspeaker cables Kharma Matrix Reference
(16-Apr-2016, 23:24)Confused Wrote: The S1 designation comes from the days before Devialet dropped the 'slave' designation in favour of the more politically correct 'Companion' term used now.  So S1 simply means 'Slave 1'.

That's what I had in mind. However, the config my companion is actually running keeps being unclear to me... based on Devialet feedback (see above).
@Christophe - You have nothing to worry about. I have a D400 as well. When the Companion starts up after both systems are completely off ( no power ) it shows S1 on the Companion dial at first than as noted above, changes to Companion.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
My Companion is also showing S1 at booting.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
Just to add a bit of clarity here.

If my units are powered down completely, that is say turned off at the mains, then I will get 'S1 config' on initial start up.

However, if the amps are in the normal stand by mode (turned off, say, with a short press on the remote on / off button), then on start up the companion will show 'Companion Devialet 800', no mention of 'S1' at all. (I believe 400 behaviour is the same)

I will also initially get 'S1 config' during the process of loading a revised configuration card.

I am running my amps without the trigger cable and using the AES/EBU input to the companion for the master / companion link cable.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
So, seems I worried for nothing and not very well advised in this by Devialet support.

A warm thank to all of you for the quick replies!