Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet air settings
(29-Apr-2016, 12:12)Zappydev Wrote: Whenever I start to feel any sympathy for them, I look across at my multi-room Sonos system, which has worked almost flawlessly for about 8 years across 7 zones using WiFi, and I immediately stop feeling any sympathy, only annoyance. (I could almost accept the AIR problem if it was restricted to Hi Res music, but it is equally liable to fail with Redbook)

From my read of the AIR threads, it works much more reliably at 16/44 streaming rates. Is this not the case? That is my take from many posts. I also have a Sonos, which we've changed to from AIR; not because of any problems but because we use Deezer Elite and other radio stations which we couldn't get any other way. And Sonos only steams 16/44, so you must compare AIR performance at the same rate.

Lastly, my experience with Sonos has not be problem-free. I don't actually think it performs as well as advertised either. Brilliant in many ways, but feature-poor, and not at all without glitches.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(29-Apr-2016, 19:59)Damon Wrote:
(29-Apr-2016, 12:12)Zappydev Wrote: Whenever I start to feel any sympathy for them, I look across at my multi-room Sonos system, which has worked almost flawlessly for about 8 years across 7 zones using WiFi, and I immediately stop feeling any sympathy, only annoyance. (I could almost accept the AIR problem if it was restricted to Hi Res music, but it is equally liable to fail with Redbook)

From my read of the AIR threads, it works much more reliably at 16/44 streaming rates. Is this not the case? That is my take from many posts. I also have a Sonos, which we've changed to from AIR; not because of any problems but because we use Deezer Elite and other radio stations which we couldn't get any other way. And Sonos only steams 16/44, so you must compare AIR performance at the same rate.

Lastly, my experience with Sonos has not be problem-free. I don't actually think it performs as well as advertised either. Brilliant in many ways, but feature-poor, and not at all without glitches.

I found AIR to be equally unreliable whatever the format, and I investigated intensively. Sonos is not perfect, I agree, but is orders of magnitude more robust. The real point of my comparison was that if a consumer system costing just a few hundred pounds and based on hardware from 2007 can do the job, why the hell can't the £11,000 Devialet D400?
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I've been a long-time user of various forms of Squeezeboxes over the years.  SlimDevices clearly mastered the art of streaming with that (well over a decade ago!). So, no, there really isn't a good excuse for Devialet's long-term problems with AIR.  I jumped onto Roon when they started supporting Squeezeboxes as endpoints.  And Roon via a SB to Devialet sounds just as good as LMS (the Squeezebox server).  

But, in my comparison of streaming via a Squeezebox Touch to my Devialet vs AIR, I felt AIR did sound a bit better (well, when it worked).  I'm not saying night and day, but noticeable IMO... just a bit more open and refined.

But, I just ordered a microRendu (I was on the early mailing list) so hopefully within a week or so, I'll have a good handle if/how the microRendu may sound compared to AIR. But even if it sounds exactly the same as AIR, it will work all-the-time.   My hope... no more AIR for me.

If curious, check it out here: http://sonore.us/microrendu/.  Can't wait to see if this lives up to the anticipation.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(29-Apr-2016, 12:58)Confused Wrote:
(29-Apr-2016, 12:36)Filips Wrote: Ironically, at this moment and after almost 5 hour Audirvana via WiFi still works perfectly... Every second I'm expecting proof that I am being too optimistic Big Grin

P.S. Did anyone compare SQ via pure AIR setup (when working flawlessly) with some quality source: Melco or Aurender (via usb, spdif, ethernet or aes/ebu connection)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, there are less AIR vs whatever head to head comparisons posted on here than you might expect.  There are some snippets though, here's one for starters:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=253

I should be doing my own AIR vs music server head to head before too long, depending on what kit I can prise out of the hands of my ever helpful hifi dealer.

Thanks for the link, great topic! Especially regarding new streaming services in CD quality (streamer VS HD storage).

Like you, I should also do testing AIR vs music server vs MacBook Pro via usb. I will take Melco N1A (via usb and ethernet) as soon as I find enough time for doing it properly.

I would like that AIR wins the clash because in that way my system would stay minimalistic. I didn't go from separate components (pre/power/CD DAC) to Dev to start buying another stack of hardware.

But if it wouldn't happen, I would start experimenting with music servers (Melco, Aurender, maybe Auralic...).
Audience aR-6 TSS / Melco N1ZH / Audio Research CD5 / D400 / Vivid B1D
Synergistic Research Atmosphere / SR Element C.T.S.
(29-Apr-2016, 20:37)mdconnelly Wrote: I've been a long-time user of various forms of Squeezeboxes over the years.  SlimDevices clearly mastered the art of streaming with that (well over a decade ago!). So, no, there really isn't a good excuse for Devialet's long-term problems with AIR.  I jumped onto Roon when they started supporting Squeezeboxes as endpoints.  And Roon via a SB to Devialet sounds just as good as LMS (the Squeezebox server).  

But, in my comparison of streaming via a Squeezebox Touch to my Devialet vs AIR, I felt AIR did sound a bit better (well, when it worked).  I'm not saying night and day, but noticeable IMO... just a bit more open and refined.

But, I just ordered a microRendu (I was on the early mailing list) so hopefully within a week or so, I'll have a good handle if/how the microRendu may sound compared to AIR. But even if it sounds exactly the same as AIR, it will work all-the-time.   My hope... no more AIR for me.

If curious, check it out here: http://sonore.us/microrendu/.  Can't wait to see if this lives up to the anticipation.
Can you stream to your Touch trough air and then go from Touch to Dev with wire ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(29-Apr-2016, 21:31)Petter Wrote:
(29-Apr-2016, 20:37)mdconnelly Wrote: I've been a long-time user of various forms of Squeezeboxes over the years.  SlimDevices clearly mastered the art of streaming with that (well over a decade ago!). So, no, there really isn't a good excuse for Devialet's long-term problems with AIR.  I jumped onto Roon when they started supporting Squeezeboxes as endpoints.  And Roon via a SB to Devialet sounds just as good as LMS (the Squeezebox server).  

Can you stream to your Touch trough air and then go from Touch to Dev with wire ?

If you're talking "air" as in Wifi, then yes.   An SB Touch does have wifi built-in so you could stream to it using Roon or LMS and then SPDIF or optical out to the Dev.   

But if by "air' you mean "AIR", then no.   To the best of my knowledge AIR is a proprietary streaming solution of Devialet.  Music can be streamed from any PC or Mac on your network via he AIR software but destination is only the Devialet.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(29-Apr-2016, 12:36)Filips Wrote: Ironically, at this moment and after almost 5 hour Audirvana via WiFi still works perfectly... Every second I'm expecting proof that I am being too optimistic Big Grin

P.S. Did anyone compare SQ via pure AIR setup (when working flawlessly) with some quality source: Melco or Aurender (via usb, spdif, ethernet or aes/ebu connection)?

With regards to SQ of Air vs Aurender (USB), I actually found Air to be MUCH better. So much so that I ended up reluctantly returning my Aurender N100 after repeated attempts to dial in the sound with various high end USB cables. Luckily, I have had no issues with Air other than occasionally not getting sound when switching between 16/44 and 24/192....I have to reboot Audirvana to resolve. I control my Mac Mini via screen sharing w Macbook and/or iPhone Audirvana A+ remote app. All my music resides on QNap NAS and is mostly AIFF 16/44. Love it.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

(16-Jul-2016, 01:47)Foggy916 Wrote:

With regards to SQ of Air vs Aurender (USB), I actually found Air to be MUCH better.  So much so that I ended up reluctantly returning my Aurender N100 after repeated attempts to dial in the sound with various high end USB cables.  Luckily, I have had no issues with Air other than occasionally not getting sound when switching between 16/44 and 24/192....I have to reboot Audirvana to resolve.  I control my Mac Mini via screen sharing w Macbook and/or iPhone Audirvana A+ remote app.  All my music resides on QNap NAS and is mostly AIFF 16/44.  Love it.

I agree with you. I have also a N100H and I prefer Air beta 3 for mac with roon. Better image and soundstage.
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.
I have only just got round to trying the new Air version and must admit it seems better stability wise. It's a long time since I used the old version so I cannot really say whether the SQ is an improvement. However I can say that it is still not as good as the sound I get from the Aurender which is also very reliable and great to use. There would be no reason for me to go back to using Air.
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
(29-Apr-2016, 00:59)hk6230 Wrote: AIR may not be working 100% but it is reasonably working well in my environment. My stress-test of playing 5 hours of non-stop high bitrate did eventually resulted in white noise, but on my normal playing situation of mainly CD-quality and mix of DSD64, 24/96 and 24/192 has hardly any problem at all.

Now that I have split my RoonServer and RoonBridge on two different machines, I have no worries of AIR crashing my Win10-based RoonServer. My RoonBridge and AIR 2.1.3 are run on a Win 8.1-based machine. To me, AIR is a great feature. Sound quality is exceptional.

And, @blair.athol: AIR can stream DSD64. This is 100% confirmed.
May I ask how you set Air to stream DSD64? Mine got resampled to 24/192. Thanks!
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly.