Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mad Scientist cables are incompatible with Devialet as a Master-Companion link
So that nobody else makes this mistake, know that Mad Scientist carbon-fiber cables are incompatible with Devialet's electrical requirement for linking master and slave/companion units. The cables work with CD-quality files but fail with high-res. files. For instance when trying to play a 24-bit file no sound comes from the speaker connected to the slave/companion. While Mad Scientist didn't know this when they sold me the cable it is now stated on their page for their new cable (both are incompatible). http://www.madscientist-audio.com/hdcplus.html
According to the FAQs, the force exerted is determined by Flemming's Left Hand Rule, presumably Flemming the mad scientist rather than Fleming the 19th/20th century physicist?

Laziness with one's website might be indicative of laziness with one's research?
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I just intended this as a public service announcement ("with guitars" if you like The Clash) not denigration of Mad Scientist. Their HDC cable sounds much better than the Crystal Cable supplied with my D400 so there's something to it, but yes I would have preferred that their incompatibility be better tested and communicated.
I've got the Standard Heretical Digital Cable (HDC), RCA to AES connecting my pair of D-Premiers and haven't had any problems. Either the D-Premiers are not prone to this problem or I just got lucky???
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
My HDC is RCA to RCA and my Devialets are D400, so the difference is either one of those things or variation in individual cables. Anyway, I'm glad yours works. If you listened to the HDC vs. others I'm curious about what you heard.