Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to transport Phantom internationally?
I may need to make a relocation overseas. Any experience on the best way to ship/transport a Phantom? At the moment thinking to place in original packaging, then surround with foam in a larger box...
--
Stereo Devialet Silver Phantoms via Dialog.
That would be safest although mine were shipped to the USA from France in the original packing boxes and arrived safely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original packaging should be fine. Mine shipped from a French department store to Australia just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original Box, then a thin layer of foam and an outer box. Since I was carrying the phantoms myself, I checked them in packed as described, they survived the rigours of the baggage handlers at the airport at both ends. After all was set up and running for a week and a half at home, 1 phantom stopped working(software update glitch). So that particular phantom had to make a trip to France. Shipped it UPS with the phantoms packed as described, which incidentally is exactly the way the Customer service guys told me to do it. After repairs, the phantom made the trip back via UPS again packed in a similar manner.
Not a scratch on them.
My pack job was basically:

Phantoms in original box | Plastic wrap | Cardboard box with heavy taping | Luggage wrap

... And here's how it went: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...5#pid49465
--
Stereo Devialet Silver Phantoms via Dialog.
Hand luggage with Cocoon, you do need to be 2 to transport 2 Phantoms. It's obviously a bit overweight as you're at 11-12kg but given the size I'm not sure people would complain. Do expect questions when going through scanners :-)

Ps : A friend of mine has done it several times with no issues.
Agree with the hand luggage. Problem is that this prevents hand carrying any other luggage. But perhaps the Phantom is worth it....Smile
Just flew from Brussels to Singapore with 2 Phantoms in Cocoons. I was travelling with a friend and we each had a backpack with our Cocoon as extra bag. A few points,

- Person at checkin counter didn't weigh our carry-on lugage. 1 Phantom + Cocoon is at 11-12kg which is overweight. You need to be sneaky.
- People who scan your luggage will ask you questions about this. They first did not believe this was a speaker but no issue as they mainly wanted to know if there is a battery or not. There is a limit in battery amoubt/size you can carry in a plane. (https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ha.../?hazmat=7)
- Cocoon are amazingly solid, I almost had a heart-attack when a girl oppened the overhead locker, took her jacket and made my phantom do a 2m drop on the floor. Phantom works perfectly and is in perfect state. Very impressive.
- Do take the insurance, as you never know. Better be safe than sorry.