Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 120 Clipping...No Help from Devialet
Sad 
I have a Devialet 120 hooked up to a pair of Focal Diablo Utopias I use Devialet Air on my computer through ethernet.  After my Devialet warms up I start getting clipping.  

I have this exact same set up (even the computer is the same) in another room and no clipping.  I have reached out to Devialet about 3 weeks okay and they asked me to remove the SD card and see if that fixed the problem.  That didn't...now three weeks later they are not updating my ticket or returning my phone calls.

Does anyone have some trouble shooting tips?  I have isolated the problem to the Devialet. 

Also if someone knows how to actually get ahold someone at Devialet I would really appreciate it.  I am really frustrated at the lack of customer service.  I don't think I will be buying another Devialet anytime soon.
(06-May-2016, 06:13)Expert Wrote: I have a Devialet 120 hooked up to a pair of Focal Diablo Utopias I use Devialet Air on my computer through ethernet.  After my Devialet warms up I start getting clipping.  

I have this exact same set up (even the computer is the same) in another room and no clipping.  I have reached out to Devialet about 3 weeks okay and they asked me to remove the SD card and see if that fixed the problem.  That didn't...now three weeks later they are not updating my ticket or returning my phone calls.

Does anyone have some trouble shooting tips?  I have isolated the problem to the Devialet. 

Also if someone knows how to actually get ahold someone at Devialet I would really appreciate it.  I am really frustrated at the lack of customer service.  I don't think I will be buying another Devialet anytime soon.

I would go to the Devialet website home page during normal European working hours and try the on line 'chat with us' system.  I have used this once or twice to remind Devialet of an open query that is awaiting response from them.  It works quite well actually.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Another thought. Have you tried swapping your D120's between the two systems? Just to eliminate any possibility of a problem with one of the speakers, cabling, or indeed anything else.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
What Confused sais.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I have tried swapping them, makes no difference.

What I notice is that I get a 2-5 songs out of my Devialet with no clipping...sound quality is fine but it seems to be that once it gets hot the clipping starts. If it was a cabling problem I think it would be constant.

I did hear back from support early this morning (maybe they read these forums) and they said it could be a wifi issue. So I am trying to load a new configuration sans wifi and simply turing the wifi off.

I have tried to do the configuration 4 times now (from scratch) and I keep getting a message on their website: "There was an error generating your configuration file. Please try to go back and download again."

Even though I connect only through ethernet I guess having the wifi enabled means it may be searching for wifi? I don't know I don't have the issue with the other Devialet and they are one on top of the other in my AV rack so it's not like they are in a different part of the house.
(06-May-2016, 16:44)Expert Wrote: What I notice is that I get a 2-5 songs out of my Devialet with no clipping...sound quality is fine but it seems to be that once it gets hot the clipping starts.  If it was a cabling problem I think it would be constant.

When you say "clipping" do you mean that you can see the meter going into the red on the info display, or are you judging it by sound alone?  For example, could it perhaps be a manifestation of the well-known problems with AIR, rather than clipping?  If you have a source you can plug directly into the Devialet line-level inputs that might help to work out whether AIR is the culprit.

Could you swap the amplifiers round between the two installations?  That might tell you whether there might be a hardware problem with one of the units.

(06-May-2016, 16:44)Expert Wrote: I have tried to do the configuration 4 times now (from scratch) and I keep getting a message on their website: "There was an error generating your configuration file. Please try to go back and download again."

That problem sounds like the one I have when I try to use the Configurator in Safari on OS X.  Maybe worth trying a different browser, if you can (Firefox or Chrome work OK, I think).

(06-May-2016, 16:44)Expert Wrote: Even though I connect only through ethernet I guess having the wifi enabled means it may be searching for wifi?

Yes, it will probably be searching for the wireless access point unless you've disabled wi-fi in the configuration.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(06-May-2016, 17:45)thumb5 Wrote:
(06-May-2016, 16:44)Expert Wrote: What I notice is that I get a 2-5 songs out of my Devialet with no clipping...sound quality is fine but it seems to be that once it gets hot the clipping starts.  If it was a cabling problem I think it would be constant.

When you say "clipping" do you mean that you can see the meter going into the red on the info display, or are you judging it by sound alone?  For example, could it perhaps be a manifestation of the well-known problems with AIR, rather than clipping?  If you have a source you can plug directly into the Devialet line-level inputs that might help to work out whether AIR is the culprit.

Could you swap the amplifiers round between the two installations?  That might tell you whether there might be a hardware problem with one of the units.

(06-May-2016, 16:44)Expert Wrote: I have tried to do the configuration 4 times now (from scratch) and I keep getting a message on their website: "There was an error generating your configuration file. Please try to go back and download again."

That problem sounds like the one I have when I try to use the Configurator in Safari on OS X.  Maybe worth trying a different browser, if you can (Firefox or Chrome work OK, I think).

(06-May-2016, 16:44)Expert Wrote: Even though I connect only through ethernet I guess having the wifi enabled means it may be searching for wifi?

Yes, it will probably be searching for the wireless access point unless you've disabled wi-fi in the configuration.

I am judging by sound alone and maybe clipping is not the right word...it's like skipping or stuttering.  What are the issues with AIR?  Their support people have not communicated any of that to me.  Does Devialet have a fix?

I will try swapping the amps again but I tried before and I got the same results.

Regarding the configurator I cannot seem to download the files on Chrome or Firefox.  I normally use Chrome for everything.  When I right click the link I don't get the option to download the file or "save target as".  Maybe there is something I have to change in the settings of Chrome or Firefox to allow me to do that?  I only get the option in Safari.

Once I figure out how the get the configurator to work I will download the configuration without wifi and see if that works.
Expert,

From your description, I think this is a network/ AIR/ connection issue, though, it is difficult to know; your individual set up could be very different from that of others.

Are you streaming files from your Mac wirelessly to the router, then ethernet into the D120?

Are you using iTunes or another music manager? I think Devialet recommends turning off bit-perfect in iTunes, but I don't know what that does.

Do you get the same issue if you are streaming internet radio? (if you do).

So you have two D120's and two pairs of Focals; two identical set ups? But only one system has a problem. How is the second system set up? Does it get music through a wired or wireless connection?

I had problems with Safari and the configurator. Using Firefox it works, using the 'save target as' on the right click. But I understand that is not working for you either. Someone else (jean marie?) had a system to make Safari work if he opened a new tab when saving the config file-- possibly? I'll see if I can find that post.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Here is the thread where config file errors were discussed:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2356

Jean-marie mentions the open in a new tab when using Safari. I haven't tried it myself, but give it a go.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Right Click in Chrome. Choose "Save Link as..."
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US