Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room Size
As so,me will know, I have been contemplating changing my Triangle Deltas, but to add to the complication, I am shortly moving to a new house which is a little smaller than the one I occupy now.

One thing that puzzles me, is that none of the Speaker manufacturers tend to recommend min and max room sizes??? It would be so helpful to know which options to eliminate in a shortlist, and what 'might' work!

Since the room I am looking at (modern UK house) newbuild (Yuk - but missus loves them...think she is a bit of an 'instant-annie'!) is (choice of two - possibly If I can swing it!) is:

3500 x 3200

or

3200 x 3000

Usual ceiling height...

I was wondering what would be recommended? Would prefer floor-standers, but quite happy to go good stand-mounts (have SVSB2000 sub) - budget up to 12k (If I have to!) - D400 driving!

Ideas?

Ta muchly!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I'm still thinking Franco Serblin Accordos... Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
There are a couple of reasons that manufactures are relatively quiet on room size, one is the obvious enough case of there being so many variables it is difficult to specify anything sensibly, another reason is that big speakers often work very well in small rooms.

So you could simply try the Triangles? It would at least give you an initial reference point prior to shopping for something new.

As for new options, maybe look at the PMC range, their transmission line design is reckoned to to make placement less critical, plus I recall listening to a pair of their Twenty range speakers at the Bristol show this year, one of the best sounds in the show I thought.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Oh, and I quite like the KEF Reference 3. Probably bigger than you are thinking of? But they do have alternative long / short reflex ports, so you can get them to work near to walls if you want.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
room treatment and bass control are way more important than the actual size of the room , in what is essentially a square room , bass will be an issue
Most floorstanders have the same footprint as a monitor on stands anyway.
Obviously humungous speakers are out in a 3x3m area.
My choice - and Im biased - would be a Vivid 1.5 or a vivid B1 with that sb2000
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(09-May-2016, 22:25)MConfused Wrote: There are a couple of reasons that manufactures are relatively quiet on room size, one is the obvious enough case of there being so many variables it is difficult to specify anything sensibly, another reason is that big speakers often work very well in small rooms.  

So you could simply try the Triangles?  It would at least give you an initial reference point prior to shopping for something new.

As for new options, maybe look at the PMC range, their transmission line design is reckoned to to make placement less critical, plus I recall listening to a pair of their Twenty range speakers at the Bristol show this year, one of the best sounds in the show I thought.

I recently tried ref 1s in a similarly sized room - not good. Very uneven bass regardless of port/SAM setting; I'm sure the rear port doesn't help.  There wasn't enough room to get them positioned properly.  A good speaker, but definitely try before you buy.

Agree wrt PMC. Tried fact12s in the same room. Very easy to place and gave deep controlled bass.  The are very lean sounding so may not suit all tastes (mine included).
GorbeSE/SME 309/DV XX-2 & Roon Rock (NUC) > D400 > Wilson Benesch Vectors
Was thinking about Raidho or Kaiser Chiaro, but might be a tad out of my financial reach, however I have returned to thinking about Vivid V1.5 or B1s - that is if I can get over the visual innuendo!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I think a Set of 1.5's are affordable , practical in your room size .they match up well with devialet .. you will in all likelyhood find that the sub isnt really needed. B1's might overload your room a bit...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(09-May-2016, 20:40)teddlesdee Wrote: As so,me will know, I have been contemplating changing my Triangle Deltas, but to add to the complication, I am shortly moving to a new house which is a little smaller than the one I occupy now.

One thing that puzzles me, is that none of the Speaker manufacturers tend to recommend min and max room sizes??? It would be so helpful to know which options to eliminate in a shortlist, and what 'might' work!

Since the room I am looking at (modern UK house) newbuild (Yuk - but missus loves them...think she is a bit of an 'instant-annie'!) is (choice of two - possibly If I can swing it!) is:

3500 x 3200

or

3200 x 3000

Usual ceiling height...

I was wondering what would be recommended? Would prefer floor-standers, but quite happy to go good stand-mounts (have SVSB2000 sub) - budget up to 12k (If I have to!) - D400 driving!

Ideas?

Ta muchly!

I recently was forced to move with my duos into a 3,3 x 3,3 m room. they sound very good there, surprisingly. Horns work very well in front of a wall or next to a wall. because of active bass the bass volume can be reduced so bass wont overload the small room. new they would be out of your budget but used they might be within your budget.
you wont need subs. such small rooms do not support deep bass. cant bend the laws of physics with a sub
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner