Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote control, surface / handling
I love the material used to make the casing of Dev't amps, shapes & colors.
I don't mind keeping hands away from the surface.

But a remote control is meant to be handled, 
and, as there is no other way to control the amp, I would suggest that next generations of remotes are more hand-friendly.
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
As cool as I think the remote looks, I find myself using the iPhone app far more frequently. Other than as a volume control, the remote is only useful when actually looking at the display on the Expert itself.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I have two remotes. One sits on the table next to my chair, the other on the rack with the amps.
That way I never handle them but use them exclusively. I have disabled the app in the configurator since I don't use it any more, hoping for less activity on my network.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I love the Expert remote's aesthetics I have to say.

The signal's a bit weak because my D200's wall mounted in an alcove, so that means I often have to pick up the remote and wave it around to find a good spot (which is a bit silly and attracts some weird looks and conversation if friends are round).  So mine tends to get quite covered in fingerprints and oil - but I wouldn't trade it just for that.

As remotes go, I consider it a piece of art, and hope they don't redesign it.   Well, at least not to make it look like that carbuncle of a tub of nivea hand cream styled Phantom remote. Smile

I do use the iOS remote a fair bit, but I miss the tone controls. I do find the extra network traffic annoying though.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I wish that the D120/D200/D400 remotes would have the same smooth feel as the D250/D800 remotes but there has to be a more premium feel for those who paid more Smile

Also, having some sort of volume /visual display would be great - hence some preference for the iOS remote. I understand they may have tried to implement this but to the detriment of battery life.
I have mine wrapped in a super-absorbent cloth which I use it to clean any fingerprint immediately. After 1 year of usage, it is still in a very perfect condition.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(19-May-2016, 10:52)nicoludio Wrote: I wish that the D120/D200/D400 remotes would have the same smooth feel as the D250/D800 remotes but there has to be a more premium feel for those who paid more Smile

Also, having some sort of volume /visual display would be great - hence some preference for the iOS remote.  I understand they may have tried to implement this but to the detriment of battery life.

I've never tried the 250 remote, so good to know, I'll make sure I don't so I don't know what I'm missing.....Smile

If they really wanted to do it, I don't think the screen would be a technical challenge today, even battery-wise. Think Amazon kindle, and the size of the screen it would need and the size of the remote unit to fit a decent battery.... Plus there are plenty of Devialet users that have been happy to restart their AIR application every few hours for continued service over the past couple of years, I imagine the die-hards would have been pretty open to re-charging their remote every couple of months for the sake of a screen. It didn't even need to be fancy and fully featured - it could have been a simple LCD just for numeric feedback and mode selection- I had a casio watch for years back in the day, and the battery lasted an awfully long time... Thankfully I can now see the display on the wall mount, but prior to that I'd often find I got out of sequence using guesswork and set balance or SAM instead of bass/treble....

(19-May-2016, 11:00)hk6230 Wrote: I have mine wrapped in a super-absorbent cloth which I use it to clean any fingerprint immediately. After 1 year of usage, it is still in a very perfect condition.

Wow, that's dedication! Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I keep my remote covered with the Devialet branded cleaning cloth that comes with each amp, even when using it.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I LOVE my Devialet remote. Yes it gets dirty, Yes it doesn't have a built in LCD. Yes it would be nice if it had an LCD. But in the grand scheme of things this is a wonderful remote, nice big fat dial with one purpose and one purpose only, volume control. Sure beats any other remote I have had for that purpose. Plus if you ever had an intruder you could probably knock them out with one blow to the head.

IMHO of course.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(20-May-2016, 04:04)baddog Wrote: Plus if you ever had an intruder you could probably knock them out with one blow to the head.

You'd wrap it in it's cleaning cloth first through, right?! Wink