Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can my set up be improved?
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Only just found it the other day!

I have owned a Devialet 110(now 120) for around a year now, fed by a Mac Mini mostly via USB (non branded cable) and the speakers are Harbeth. The AIR function works fine, although can drop out at times, so I tend to stick with USB.

On the Mac, my files are played via iTunes and they are originally FLAC files converted into another lossless format by FLACTunes so they can work with iTunes.

Question is, can I improve on what I am doing? Some say streamers are the way to go, others say they don't matter. What about playback software? I found this not to work with Devialet in the past, maybe it's different now? Any other tips and tricks at all?

Any experiences much appreciated! Thanks.
You could try a third party player, such as Audirvana, Amarra or PureMusic. They tend to improve sound quality, especially over USB. I use my Macbook Pro via USB to my D200 and use Audirvana (currently testing v2.0). I think Audirvana is a significant step up from iTunes if you use USB. When using AIR I mostly just use iTunes with the Bitperfect switch in AIR on. It's almost on par with Audirvana.

Which Harbeth speakers do you use on your D120?
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
The beauty with those players Eddie mentions is that you can trial them for free too. I haven't tried PureMusic but tried the other two and really liked them. I slightly prefer Amarra but that's slightly coloured by the fact I couldn't get Audivarna 2 to work (!) so I'm basing my opinion on the previous version. Just try one and see if you think you can hear a difference.
(17-Sep-2014, 17:08)Novak Wrote: Hi, I'm new to the forum. Only just found it the other day!

Hi Novak,
good to see you here. (I'm mattgbell on PFM.)
Do you have the Harbeth M30.1s? Which are SAM-ready, no? Sorry for the dumb questions: I haven't been keeping up.
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(17-Sep-2014, 20:33)Jwg1749 Wrote: Hi Novak,
Do you have the Harbeth M30.1s? Which are SAM-ready, no? Sorry for the dumb questions: I haven't been keeping up.
Matt

Hi Matt, have you come back to find out more about the "bonkers stuff" on this forum? Tongue
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Sep-2014, 22:22)PhilP Wrote:
Matt

Hi Matt, have you come back to find out more about the "bonkers stuff" on this forum? Tongue

"Have you tried the Devialet Chat forum? OK, there's a lot of rather bonkers stuff there, but it is at least a fair-sized constituency of owners."

His words, not mine... Tongue

Guillaume

Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It's a fine line between genius and insanity.....
(17-Sep-2014, 22:48)Confused Wrote: It's a fine line between genius and insanity.....

Nicely put! Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(17-Sep-2014, 22:29)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(17-Sep-2014, 22:22)PhilP Wrote:
Matt

"Have you tried the Devialet Chat forum? OK, there's a lot of rather bonkers stuff there, but it is at least a fair-sized constituency of owners."

His words, not mine... Tongue

Guillaume

Yes, that's me!
It's a very helpful forum full of jolly nice people, but yes, a lot of the stuff posted here fails my "bonkers test".
Rolleyes
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Thanks guys, I did try the Audivarna etc a while back but it kept crashing for some reason. Maybe that has been fixed now. Will have a look into it.

Matt, yes the M30.1 are SAM ready now. I have had this going for a few weeks and it's clearly different. I can switch it on or off with the remote, so it's easy to distinguish. The obvious difference is in the lower bass, the Harbeths sound like they're partnered with a sub it goes so low. I normally have a bass problem in my room, so I tend to reduce it, not add it. However, with SAM there's more bass but it's more controlled so it sounds fine in my room. Weird! Saying that, my downstairs neighbour has been away all summer and she hasn't had the benefit of hearing the difference yet, so I need to be mindful here. It feels a lot more full range than before. It still works well at lower volumes too.

My set up is having SAM on full, but a -3db dip at around 125hz and a +3 peak at around 2khz. Seems to be the setting I default to for my room and music collection. If I turn it up, I can remove the 2khz treble addition, but I mostly listen at low volumes.