Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons
I think the Sonore thread has gone much the same way as the AIR 3 thread, with the occasional posts about sound quality becoming a bit lost amongst all the technical issues.  (and stuff about delivery times and custom charges etc!)

All this is good stuff of course and much of it very useful, but I though it would be helpful to have a nice clean thread to capture sound quality observations and any comparisons to AIR or other streaming devices that may be to hand.

Any observations out there??
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-May-2016, 12:15)Confused Wrote: I think the Sonore thread has gone much the same way as the AIR 3 thread, with the occasional posts about sound quality becoming a bit lost amongst all the technical issues.  (and stuff about delivery times and custom charges etc!)

All this is good stuff of course and much of it very useful, but I though it would be helpful to have a nice clean thread to capture sound quality observations and any comparisons to AIR or other streaming devices that may be to hand.

Gosh this thread is quiet!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(22-May-2016, 19:09)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 12:15)Confused Wrote: I think the Sonore thread has gone much the same way as the AIR 3 thread, with the occasional posts about sound quality becoming a bit lost amongst all the technical issues.  (and stuff about delivery times and custom charges etc!)

Gosh this thread is quiet!

Guillaume

We who own a microRendu doesn't have time to write here we listen to really good music  Wink Tongue
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

And we've all written out experiences here already: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2559 Wink

Mine are here:
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...2#pid40852
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid40949
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...3#pid41083

I haven't compared to solutions like those of Auralic, Aurender, Melco etc. as I don't like the closed platforms these run and the prices they charge but this is my list with scores. Please, consider the scores HIGHLY subjective and indicative, they're not absolutes!!

500 Sonore microRendu (Curious USB 0.2m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)
400 DIY music server (Curious USB 0.8m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)
300 DIY music server (Curious USB 0.8m + 0.2m) with Intona USB Isolator (industrial version)
240 DIY music server (Curious USB 0.8m + 0.2m) with Regen
230 DIY music server (TotalDAC D1 USB cable and solid USB adapter) with Regen
200 DIY music server (TotalDAC D1 USB cable)
100 AIR 2 ethernet (Audioquest Diamond RJ/E)
90 AIR 2 WiFi

Haven't tested AIR 3 yet since there's no Windows version for it yet.

The DIY music server consisted of:
JCAT USB interface + JCAT battery PSU
Paul Pang/PPA Studio Red SATA cable
Windows Server 2012 R2 standard with Audiophile Optimizer, JPlay, Fidelizer Pro
PSU: HDPlex 100W Linear PSU + HDPlex HiFi 250W DC ATX PSU
Network: gigabit optical fiber for full galvanic isolation

Case: Streacom FC5 WS EVO
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i3-4350T 35W dual core 3.1gHz hd4600
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB (2x4GB kit F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM), CL7
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Internal star earthing and earthed shielding of certain components like the JCAT, twisted DC cables in part shielded
AC powered by PS Audio P3 Power Plant
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Listening to and enjoying mine. The couple of standby issues I can live with for now - at least it doesn't happen intermittently while musics playing - it's a very specific scenario - and allegedly Devialets unconventional design at fault.... Meanwhile I'm sure the guys at Roon will work out a fix.

I have to say a couple of exchanges on the Roon forums - where they're pretty foo-free in general but some also seemingly of the opinion bit perfect playback is only ever of the same quality - have made me start to doubt myself and wonder if simply I'm imagining things.

Next week I'll do an AB back to USB direct and see what the brain thinks of that.

I meant to do a bit of AIR3 but it's been a crazy weekend.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I got my microRendu four days ago. Connection and setup was quick - I had sound in less than 10 minutes. Even from cold the mR sounded better than my old setup. Especially in the midrange and treble. Low noise, lots of detail and a darker character. So far the microRendu is performing beautifully. I already had very good sound from my setup. The Regen helped a lot here. I have used the first version of the Regen (also known as "green") I bought the new version of Regen, but it did not work as well in my system so I've not used it.
I expect the microRendu will be broken in soon so I can really find out how it sounds.

Context: LMS server on a Linux NUC, music folder NFS mounted from a ReadyNAS, squeezelite mode on the mR, iFi iPower 9V. Devialet amp hangs on a wall and I've made a 90 degree USB hard adapter for use with the Regen. All four conductors connected. This works well with the mR too.
I keep my 250 on 24/7 so I do not have a problem with microRendu 'loosing' the USB connection. I can produce it by changing inputs though. Jesus at Sonore has a fix for this coming soon, a workaround for Devialet's USB implementation.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Can't wait to get my µRendu, should hopefully get shipment notice soon. @ogs Great to read that Jesus / Sonore are working on a fix for USB workaround!! Shame on Devialet (...again)!
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
I have read reports that the microRendu can perform at a level comparable with the mighty Aurender N10 and W20. Impressive!

Today I read that the microRendo is inferior to the Aurender N100, not so impressive. See link below. Although the poster per the link below is clear that he is using the 'cheap' PSU, so maybe better performance might be possible.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-mu...00h-28872/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Read that too but he revised his opinion later in the topic. He wondered if this could be some form of break-in so he did not know yet that it should get at least 50 hours before critical evaluation (according to many including John Swenson who as we know designed it). Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I have not heard the Aurender so take this for what it's worth, but the microRendu has worked wonders for sound quality in my system.   And while it sounded very good right out of the box, it did further improve over the course of the first week.  I'm using the iFi PS.  While I'm hearing absolutely no reason to upgrade the power supply, all accounts seem to indicate that further benefits can be had.   May have to consider the Uptone LPS-1 once it's available.   Overall, the microRendu is a tremendous bang-for-the-buck little gem.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA