Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons
All I can say is I am looking forward to getting mine and posting my own views of the thing!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Well, I received mine on Monday, so not had too much time with it, only a few hours clocked up so far. But already, it is better than what went before, no doubt helped by a JS-2 PSU from Uptone Audio. I also have a fibre optic break in the network feed to the microRendu, and I will get around to using the second rail of the JS-2 to power the TP Link MMC unit closest to the mR.

Similar to the Uptone Regen, the small price paid should not 'under-sell' the benefit to the USB input of the Dev. All the good things you might read about the mR appear to be true, even more so when the PSU is improved.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(22-May-2016, 20:53)Antoine Wrote: I haven't compared to solutions like those of Auralic, Aurender, Melco etc. as I don't like the closed platforms these run and the prices they charge but this is my list with scores. Please, consider the scores HIGHLY subjective and indicative, they're not absolutes!!

500 Sonore microRendu (Curious USB 0.2m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)
400 DIY music server (Curious USB 0.8m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)

Genuine question.

Why would I buy a Sonore microRendu / Curious USB 0.2m / Mutec MC-3+ USB when I could buy an Antipodes DS Server with internal 2Tb HDD, CD Ripper, and choice of either USB or AES output for a similar price (well, over here in Australia it would be)?

I can have a one box solution with the Antipodes DS with internal HDD (SSD is too much for me at present) instead of microRendu and Mutec

Antipodes DS
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(15-Jun-2016, 19:51)Celts88 Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 20:53)Antoine Wrote: I haven't compared to solutions like those of Auralic, Aurender, Melco etc. as I don't like the closed platforms these run and the prices they charge but this is my list with scores. Please, consider the scores HIGHLY subjective and indicative, they're not absolutes!!

Genuine question.

Why would I buy a Sonore microRendu / Curious USB 0.2m / Mutec MC-3+ USB when I could buy an Antipodes DS Server with internal 2Tb HDD, CD Ripper, and choice of either USB or AES output for a similar price (well, over here in Australia it would be)?

I can have a one box solution with the Antipodes DS with internal HDD (SSD is too much for me at present) instead of microRendu and Mutec

Antipodes DS

Antipodes and microRendu......

[Image: antipodes2_1-580x244.png]
[Image: microRendu%20Apps.png]
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Octaviars

I realise the Antipodes and Sonore Software are virtually identical looking, but your point is?
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(15-Jun-2016, 20:56)Celts88 Wrote: Octaviars

I realise the Antipodes and Sonore Software are virtually identical looking, but your point is?

My point is that they have the same software nothing else.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(15-Jun-2016, 21:45)octaviars Wrote:
(15-Jun-2016, 20:56)Celts88 Wrote: Octaviars

My point is that they have the same software nothing else.

Ok  Smile

Australia (Perth)
(15-Jun-2016, 19:51)Celts88 Wrote:

Genuine question.

Antipodes DS

Obviously Antoine can speak for himself, but I think I can answer this one.  Antoine mentioned in his post that he does not like the closed platforms of music servers.  His choice, but I have to say I feel a similar way.  I like having a PC in my music chain, just for the shear versatility and flexibility this offers.

I also know some folk who would be horrified by having a CD drive corrupting their lovely streamer.  (Although I don't really understand this one)  I do know one Antipodes owner here in the UK.  He loves the 'all in one' concept, and is very happy with sound quality.  So essentially, it's up to you!  If you don't like having a PC or similar in the chain, the microRendu is a very bad idea.  If you don't like 'closed platforms' the Antipodes is a bad idea.  Form me, I would love to hear an Antipodes, they have good reviews and some are AES/EBU equipped, which I know works well on the Devialet.  However, arranging a microRendu vs Antipodes comparison in the UK would be difficult to achieve, we have no dealers or distributors.  I recall now that I did send an email to my trusted UK dealer re the possibility of getting hold of an Antipodes for audition, however, they never answered that one, things moved on and now I'm waiting for my microRendu to arrive!  I guess the really big question is how does an Antipodes compare to a microRendu with respect to sound quality.  I suspect that nobody has tried this as a back to back test, and even if they had, a lot depends on personal preference, system matching and so on.  So that one is anyones guess!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Yes, each to their own when it comes to the type of system that individualy we like.

Since having my D-Premiers I'm really enjoying not having all the additional boxes and cables, and hence looking at the Antipodes as essentially a 2 box solution (attached to my D-Premiers). My D-Premiers don't have USB, but with the Antipodes having option of AES (which is a dedicated card built specifically for Antipodes) really think this could be a good substitute for the lack of USB connection on my D-Premiers.

I've already got a Curious USB cable so covered that way, but also have a MIT Proline Digital Reference AES cable so would be covered for using this from Antipodes to D-Premier.

The one spanner in the works (good spanner) is the possible new "Upgrades" coming for the Expert range (D1000plus???). It may be worth hanging on a bit longer to see if the upgrade rumour is true, if the D-Premiers can be upgraded (hope so), and the overall cost (I have a pair so would cost a fair bit to get both done).

I had actually bought a 2nd hand Antipodes DX, but just as it was about to be posted the guy's wife dropped it and he now has to have it looked at. So back to the drawing board and hence my question about the microRendu.

Appreciate your feedback, and that's the beauty of these forums, we get actual hands on advise, not salesman advise.

Australia (Perth)
(16-Jun-2016, 08:32)Confused Wrote: If you don't like having a PC or similar in the chain, the microRendu is a very bad idea.  

Actually you could run it with a sonicTransporter with SSD storage which pretty much behaves like a NAS in the background (and runs Roon Server/Core).

If someone lends me their microRendu I could try this out and compare to my current totaldac setup. I already have the sonicTransporter.  Wink 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK